Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Tying Mackerel to sea hooks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tying Mackerel to sea hooks

Hi Guys

I was advised today to tie the mackerel bait that I use for sea fishing as it comes off otherwise.

The guy I was talking to tried to show me but as he didn't has a hook and the bait handy it was difficult to understand. I have also watched Youtube videos but getting confused.

Could somebody please advise. Preferably wither with pics or step by step instructions

Many Thanks

Bodi
    Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

Anyone
    Mark

Comment

Cut it into strips mark- and hook it from one side through the skin- it won’t come off as the skin is tough.
      Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
      Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Look up Pennal rigs on you tube,pretty easy to tie your self
        OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Comment

Originally posted by paul k View Post
          Cut it into strips mark- and hook it from one side through the skin- it won’t come off as the skin is tough.
          That is how I normally do it Paul but occasionally it does still come off
          Mark

Comment

Use a simple metal line clip above your lead weight[I'm presuming your using a breakaway or similar lead weight]You thread your strip of mackeral over your hook and up your line slip the hook onto the clip then when you cast the bait is shielded in the slipstream of your lead weight.Used it with herring which is much softer than mackeral and its also the way to go when beach casting with soft blow lugworm.

Comment

Thanks Cornerstone
              Mark

Comment

Can also use clear/white bait elastic to whip it to the hook shank.
                6 or 10 turns, then just break the elastic after a few turns around the bend - No need to tie it off.
                Last edited by martin56; 12th November 2017, 01:10 AM.
                [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Comment

Originally posted by martin56 View Post
                  Can also use clear/white bait elastic to whip it to the hook shank.
                  6 or 10 turns, then just break the elastic after a few turns around the bend - No need to tie it off.
                  Thanks Martin

That's what I was trying to establish with my initial question
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bodi View Post
                    Thanks Martin

That's what I was trying to establish with my initial question
                    Some of the Henry Gilby YouTube vids show how.
                    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Comment

deffo use bait elastic....few wraps, just snap it off, it will hold
                      [url]www.merseysideanglers.com[/url]

Comment

Used to use the elastic with peeler crab

Comment

Now then Bodi,
                          I have started doing a gopro videos and I show in some of them how I use bait elastic to lash mackerel baits to hooks. Here are two different instances. 1 shore and one boat.

I hope this helps answer your question. (Y)

If you have any other questions just drop me a line mate. And even if I don't know I will probably know someone who does.

Incase the video link don't work.
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6poELbapVfA
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l68fyO6vz7I
                          Last edited by JohnSLocker; 29th April 2018, 04:44 PM. Reason: Spelling error

Comment

Working...
                          X