Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

River Steeping matches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• River Steeping matches

Open matches on the River Steeping will be run every Sunday from Nov 5th until the end of the season. everyone welcome..
    There will aslo be sweeps run on Wednesdays, if there is enough interest. first Weds one will be Nov 8th,
    Draw 9am prompt Wainfleet market place, fish 10am--3pm. £10 sweepstake.
    It wont be as easy to run the matches from now on- as the EA in all thier wisdom have taken out all the platforms on the match length, although they have put 5 new ones in on the School house bend, but doing this has not helped us at all--it makes it difficult to run an even match on this stretch.
    But there are still several areas of flat bank that can be used, it just means a bit more care and effort to set up. and parking will be more difficult.
    But as already stated we arent put off and will be pressing ahead with the matches.
    Bike racing, match angling pensioner.

Originally posted by daskin View Post
    Open matches on the River Steeping will be run every Sunday from Nov 5th until the end of the season. everyone welcome..
    There will aslo be sweeps run on Wednesdays, if there is enough interest. first Weds one will be Nov 8th,
    It wont be as easy to run the matches from now on- as the EA in all thier wisdom have taken out all the platforms on the match length, although they have put 5 new ones in on the School house bend, but doing this has not helped us at all--it makes it difficult to run an even match on this stretch.
    But there are still several areas of flat bank that can be used, it just means a bit more care and effort to set up. and parking will be more difficult.
    But as already stated we arent put off and will be pressing ahead with the matches.
    Good luck Derek keep the results coming in
    Colin

Comment

What possessed them to remove the platforms ?? where they un safe, and will they be replaced ?. Good luck with the matches Derek.

Comment

Typical E/A ,by doing something like that it looks as if they are actually doing something for Angling !!
        Look forward to seeing the results of these matches ,
        Colin

Comment

Originally posted by tunna View Post
          What possessed them to remove the platforms ?? where they un safe, and will they be replaced ?. Good luck with the matches Derek.
          Its a long story and I have been hassling the EA for the last two months or so about it. -but basically no club or local council would take the responsiblity for them, the EA`s stipulations were so strict it just wasnt practical, and on top of that -the public liability-they reconed it cost them £3000 a year to maintain them--which is debatable..-, my gripe with them wasnt that they took them out-it was that they had left the banks so steep there are places that are unfishable. and also reeds growing so far out that you couldnt get at the river to fish it-I keet on to them and eventually they got a digger in and cleared most of the reeds so you can get at the river where the bank is flat enough..I dont know if they were going to do it anyway-( which I doubt- as they havent for the last 10 years)or the fact that I kept moaning at them---there was 43 platforms on the stretch--they have put in 5 new ones at a cost of £5500 near a lay-by where you can park, I would have though that could have put 20 in for that price--but what do I know.

Comment

PS: I doubt I`ll be doing much good in the matches -as I seem to have lost the plot at the moment--maybe cos ive been thinking more about hassling the EA than my fishing.

Comment

Nov.5th result fished at Dovecote 10 anglers
              1st peg 4 Derek Skinner 11lb 9oz- 148 Roach 3.5m whip and punch
              2nd peg 8 Alec rawlings 10lb 2 oz Roach on walger and bronze maggot
              3rd peg 2 Brain Blackamore 9lb 13oz 1 Tench + Perch and Roach worm + pole
              4th peg 9 Ian Brodie 9lb 3oz-- 128 Roach, pole and pinkie
              5th peg 1 Dennis Houghton 8lb 3oz Roach --pole and pinkie
              6th peg 10, Don Green 7lb 11oz Roach and skimmers pole and pinkie.
              Next match weds Nov 8th --meet Wainfleet market place 8-30 for 9am draw.

Comment

I bet they are all really pleased that you are preoccupied with the EA & only got 1 eye on the ball
                They must be cuffed to bits to not get totally stuffed 😆😆
                Keep it up Derrick blow by blow report next time
                Super Star
                Colin

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                  I bet they are all really pleased that you are preoccupied with the EA & only got 1 eye on the ball
                  They must be cuffed to bits to not get totally stuffed 😆😆
                  Keep it up Derrick blow by blow report next time
                  Super Star
                  Thanks Col--I actually nearly packed up after 2 hrs I only had about 20 small fish and everyone else looked to be catching, but I started to pick up the odd fish after 2.5 hrs and caught steady till the end.--pretty pleasing to win from a middle peg too. usually the end pegs are favorite. No one was more shocked than me when my weight was read, I tought I maybe had 7-8lbs.

Comment

Nov 8th Result - Dovecote,,, 6 anglers
                    1st peg 2 Pete Harker 12lb 9oz -150 Roach pole and punch
                    2nd peg 5 Derek Skinner 12lb 5oz -188 Roach 4m whip and punch
                    3rd peg 6 Alec Rawlings 9lb 5oz Roach waggler and maggot
                    4th peg 3 Denis Houghton 6lb 7oz pole and pinkie
                    5th peg 4 Mark Cook 6lb 2ozz pole and pinkie , and worm
                    6th peg 1 Len shucksmith 4lb 8oz, perch -pole and worm
                    Conditions were perfect at the start, calm cloody and a steady run. Pete caught steady all match, Derek caught well for the first 1,3/4 hrs averaging a fish a minute, then it stopped running, and struggled only picking up odd fish the rest of the match.. Alec caught steady to start then caught well when it stood.

Comment

Sunday Nov. 12 th result 14 fished at Dovecote
                      1st peg 14 Alec Rawlings 11lb 10oz Roach --8m pole and punch
                      2nd peg 13 Derek Skinner 8lb 5oz Roach -4m whip -punch
                      3rd peg 12 Brian Blackamore 3lb 10 oz -pole and pinkie
                      4th peg 1 Mark Cook 3lb 3oz Roach and Perch pole -pinkie and worm
                      5th peg 2 Pete Harker 2lb 8oz -Roach -pole- Punch
                      6th peg 7 Andy Dillamore 1lb 11oz -Roach --punch
                      The River had been run down very low in the previous couple of days and it apperaed that the fish had moved downstream, resulting in everyone -except the last pegs at downstream end struggling, combined with horrendous conditions, a swirling northerly wind combined with heavy showers made it a very difficult match.
                      Alec caught decent Roach right from the off on the pole -resulting in him not having to resort to his usual waggler tactics,,
                      Derek sat watching Alec bag up for most of the match, just picking up a few fish in bursts during the match, and having his best spell in the last 3/4 hr,
                      Wednesday 15th s match may be moved, further downsteam at Dovecote -where we think may have moved to.-or maybe try another stretch-depending on the wind direction.

Comment

Wednesday Nov, 15th Dovecote--7 fished
                        1st peg 7 Derek Skinner 12lb 7oz, 140 Roach 4m whip and punch
                        2nd peg 1 Alec Rawlings 10lb 8oz Roach,, pole punch and waggler and mag.
                        3rd peg 3 Pete Harker 9lb 8oz 150 Roach Pole and punch
                        4th peg 6 Andy Dillamore 8lb 95 Roach pole -punch
                        5th peg 2 Len Shucksmith 6lb 14oz
                        6th peg 5 Dennis Houghton 6lb 7oz
                        End peg syndrome stikes again--after taking a couple of hours to recover from the shock of drawing an end peg--Derek Caught steadily through the rest of the match, overtaking Andy who caught very well from the next peg in the first 2 hrs.
                        Alec was gettingva small fish a chuck on punch-but switched to the waggler and mag to pick up better fish late in the match
                        Pete had to resort to a tiny bit of punch to keep his fish coming in thelast couple of hrs.

Comment

well done Derek, and thank you for the videos you've made, and many tips and articles shared, on this forum. Bread punch anglers watch, read and learn !!!

Comment

Sunday Nov,19th Dovecote 15 fished
                            1st peg 1 Alec Rawlings 8lb 5oz pole and punch
                            2nd peg 15 Mick Stamp 6lb 11oz pole and pinkie
                            3rd peg 3 Brain Blackamore 6lb 8oz pole and pinkie
                            4th peg 12 Derek Skinner 4lb 14oz 4m whip and punch
                            5th peg 11 Andy Dillamore 4lb 13oz 5m whip and punch
                            6th peg 2 Don Green 6lb 5oz pole and punch
                            A very sharp frost and a chilly northerly wind put paid to any hope of good weights.
                            Alec took advantage of his 3rd end peg in a row catching well all day when everyone else struggled
                            Mick -making a very rare river appearance took advantage of the other end peg.
                            Brian and Don caught steady off the pegs next to Alec
                            And Derek and Andy caught the odd fish during the day-despite Andy having about 20 more fish derek came out on top in thier duel. some very good anglers struggled off the middle pegs.

Comment

Sunday Nov,19th Dovecote 15 fished
                              1st peg 1 Alec Rawlings 8lb 5oz pole and punch
                              2nd peg 15 Mick Stamp 6lb 11oz pole and pinkie
                              3rd peg 3 Brain Blackamore 6lb 8oz pole and pinkie
                              4th peg 12 Derek Skinner 4lb 14oz 4m whip and punch
                              5th peg 11 Andy Dillamore 4lb 13oz 5m whip and punch
                              6th peg 2 Don Green 6lb 5oz pole and punch
                              A very sharp frost and a chilly northerly wind put paid to any hope of good weights.
                              Alec took advantage of his 3rd end peg in a row catching well all day when everyone else struggled
                              Mick -making a very rare river appearance took advantage of the other end peg.
                              Brian and Don caught steady off the pegs next to Alec
                              And Derek and Andy caught the odd fish during the day-despite Andy having about 20 more fish derek came out on top in thier duel. some very good anglers struggled off the middle pegs.
                              Dons should read 4lb 5oz.. and it was Alecs 4th end peg on the trot

Comment

Working...
                              X