Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Margin Pole

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Margin Pole

    Hi Guys

    It's about time I got myself a new margin pole (on a restricted budget)

    Not bothered about make but as u/name suggests Preston preferred
    Mark

    "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

  • #2
    Bttt
    Mark

    "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

    Comment


    • #3
      A lot of Anglers Just use their regular poles when fishing margins
      By using your pole you have a massive advantage with the extra sections you have available to add on if you need them
      If you asked 100 match Anglers which Margin Pole they use ,About 90 will say they Don't own 1
      Waste of money
      Colin

      Comment


      • #4
        If your budget can stretch to it look for a Tricast margin pole,there bomb proof,and of the highest build quality,I sold mine last year and kind of regret it .
        OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks COL & Mart
          Mark

          "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
            A lot of Anglers Just use their regular poles when fishing margins
            By using your pole you have a massive advantage with the extra sections you have available to add on if you need them
            If you asked 100 match Anglers which Margin Pole they use ,About 90 will say they Don't own 1
            Waste of money
            Wouldn't want too fish 25+ elastic and 0.25 stroft through my air top kits. As Mart says if you can afford a tricast that's a good buy or an old garbolino power maxim. Some margin poles are no stronger than a normal pole just basically a short pole classed as a margin pole.

            Comment


            • #7
              Tezzer obviously to put that Strength Elastic through any pole would be Ridiculous ,
              However Why on Earth anyone would need to use gear as heavy as that is beyond me
              Edge elastics went through a Faze a few years back of getting heavier & heavier this caused problems not only smashing sections but also causing Damage to loads of fish
              Since then Anglers have thankfully rectified both of these problems
              With the developments of the puller bung the use of Catapult Elastic is a thing of the past
              Yes there are plenty of 20 lbs plus fish now caught my biggest i a match is 27.10 Di 18 Stroft main 16s B 911 extra strong to 16 Stroft hook length .Green J Range to a Pulla Match kit with the no 1 removed Daiwa G20 if i use any heavier elastic i use 2 piece power tops cut back 6" so the elastic runs freely
              These are the same kits as your Air i believe ??
              Its not a fluke thats my go too set up 15lb fish regularly caught & the Set up Handles everything ,because its Not a viscous set up ,it Allows you to lead the fish into the open water slowly moving the pole keeping it low then ship back slowly
              .Regardless how big the Fish it will swim to the end of the pole quietly ,most times it possible to net the fish 1st time you see it
              Thats why i don't use or like Margin poles
              Fact is i am that confident in my equipment & Ability
              I DON'T NEED THEM Mate
              Mark doesn't use expensive gear A Tri Cast margin pole is sadly out of his Reach
              If anyone could lay their hands on a load of Power maxims they would make a fortune
              Last edited by BIG COL; 2 weeks ago.
              Colin

              Comment


              • #8
                Thanks for the support COL
                Mark

                "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Try and get a shimano beastmaster mark- bomb proof and with the extension it's 10 metres- which is probably more than enough for most of your pole work.
                  you can pick up the 8.5m for around £100-£120 and its worth every penny imo.
                  Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
                  Alwight tweacle?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks Paul
                    Mark

                    "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                      Tezzer obviously to put that Strength Elastic through any pole would be Ridiculous ,
                      However Why on Earth anyone would need to use gear as heavy as that is beyond me
                      Edge elastics went through a Faze a few years back of getting heavier & heavier this caused problems not only smashing sections but also causing Damage to loads of fish
                      Since then Anglers have thankfully rectified both of these problems
                      With the developments of the puller bung the use of Catapult Elastic is a thing of the past
                      Yes there are plenty of 20 lbs plus fish now caught my biggest i a match is 27.10 Di 18 Stroft main 16s B 911 extra strong to 16 Stroft hook length .Green J Range to a Pulla Match kit with the no 1 removed Daiwa G20 if i use any heavier elastic i use 2 piece power tops cut back 6" so the elastic runs freely
                      These are the same kits as your Air i believe ??
                      Its not a fluke thats my go too set up 15lb fish regularly caught & the Set up Handles everything ,because its Not a viscous set up ,it Allows you to lead the fish into the open poe low then ship back slowly .Regardless how big the Fish it will swim to the end of the pole quietly ,most times it possible to net the fish 1st time you see it
                      Thats why i don't use or like Margin poles
                      Fact is i am that confident in my equipment & Ability
                      I DON'T NEED THEM Mate
                      Mark doesn't use expensive gear A Tri Cast margin pole is sadly out of his Reach
                      If anyone could lay their hands on a load of Power maxims they would make a fortune
                      Whats ability got too do with elastic choice ? So your good if you can get a fish in on light elastic ? As regards pole choice I bust a 6 on an air 300 odd quid, do one on a power maxim get another pole ( loads around and not expensive ) and yes ive got loads of them . And as regards fish care total load of rubbish to preach about elastic and throw 80lb of carp on top of each other.

                      Anyway another post gone off topic, good luck with the pole mate if your budget runs too it I could get you a beatmaster shipped for 100 quid.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Perhaps Mark could let us know his budget,maybe someone could then help him out
                        OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I'm looking for something around the 100 quid mark but not really looking till after Xmas when the sales start
                          Mark

                          "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            A proper margin pole is a must if fishing in waters where control of the fish is a must. 95% of my fishing is now done with a power maxim in shallow estate lakes full of Lilly's. Power maxim, vespe yellow3.8mm specialist hollo elastic, 25 powerline, size 8 carp feeder and that's for carp around 4lb to 6lb average. Trust me you would not land many fish on lighter gear.
                            my main pole is a tricast finesse and iv used that to bagg countless 300lb bags at Roofs lake in the past with fish up 25lb on red hydro.
                            on the subject of margin poles, why in God's name would you have side or puller bungs with light elastic on a margin pole that's designed fir heavy elastics!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Simon_e View Post
                              A proper margin pole is a must if fishing in waters where control of the fish is a must. 95% of my fishing is now done with a power maxim in shallow estate lakes full of Lilly's. Power maxim, vespe yellow3.8mm specialist hollo elastic, 25 powerline, size 8 carp feeder and that's for carp around 4lb to 6lb average. Trust me you would not land many fish on lighter gear.
                              my main pole is a tricast finesse and iv used that to bagg countless 300lb bags at Roofs lake in the past with fish up 25lb on red hydro.
                              on the subject of margin poles, why in God's name would you have side or puller bungs with light elastic on a margin pole that's designed fir heavy elastics!!!
                              Only just looked @ this post again
                              I would 1st of all like to answer Tezza
                              In my answer i should have added the word Expensive
                              A few years ago I & a few others started using 3lb T/C Carp rod Blanks with the Heaviest Elastics we could get hold of. in many cases Doubled even Power gum.
                              the Gear we used was Brutal but we could stop anything with it Most Fish hit the surface in seconds & were dragged into the Net .
                              Why ? Because we wanted nothing more than to Win @ all costs !!
                              Huge amounts of fish were caught , Sadly lots of Fish were Damaged ,Mouths were torn & became infected some even lost thier lips . some had tears in the Flanks & Fins
                              where the hook had Fouled hooked them.
                              Thankfully these Barbaric methods were Banned @ most commercials .Thinking back I regret ever using the method ,Yes i won a lot of matches ,caught some very Big weights
                              but i failed to treat the fish with Respect.
                              Since those days things have progressed Poles have improved Dramatically ,Elastics & everything to do with Pole fishing is the Best it's ever been.
                              That is 1 of the reasons i am not a fan of Margin Poles
                              Tezza my Statement about being Confident in my Equipment & Ability was in No Way a slur on you ! ! & it was Certainly not me saying I'm good or any better than anyone else .
                              Your mention of the Power Maxim was a Great call .Ideal for a lot of Commy work IMO 1 of the best Big fish pole made
                              Yes i am guilty of preaching about Fish Welfare ,80lb of fish in a net is too much i am in total agreement with you
                              From a personal point of view i beleive 50lbs should be the Max allowed in a net ,Its surprised me that matches dont have a weigh in 1/2 way through
                              on fisheries expecting weights in excess of 200lb ,50lbs would be 4 nets if you go oer by 5lbs Disqualify the whole net Anglers will soon learn to add up
                              Tezza i hope ive explained myself a little better
                              The last part about Mark being on a limited budget was to help him

                              Simon
                              on Shallow Estate lakes Normally full of weed you wont be able to get big fish out on your Match pole & if you are targeting Carp on
                              those, yes a Maxim pole is obviously the way to go . Margin poles would also be Ideal
                              If you read my post correctly you will find i never mentioned Pulla on Margin Poles
                              I said that i use my main pole for everything .I never use Margin poles ,I don't own 1 ,& i Don't want 1
                              Nowhere did i mention margin poles & pullers or light Elastics


                              Last edited by BIG COL; 2 weeks ago.
                              Colin

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X