Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

portumna ireland in july - any advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• portumna ireland in july - any advice

Just booked a week in portumna in july.

any advice on venues and methods greatly appreciated as taking my 11 year old and want to show him how good I am.

ps don't want him to beat me.

cheers Elliot

Hi Elliot - Only fished it once before during the Banagher Festival. There were a couple of sections included at Portumma and from what I can recall it was one of the best areas all week with leading weights of 20 kilos plus caught on pole, Back up weights were also good with many anglers catching 10 kilo of Silvers. This Festival is in April when the Shannon is usually carrying a little extra water and colour. In July it could be very different and you may have to fish early morning or late into the evening to catch a decent net of fish?. I'm going back this May so if I remember Ill get you some fresh info.

Roy

Comment

hi

The Portumna stretch on the Shannon is very deep in most areas and we fished numerous places

We had a boat so took kit in that and then got onto bank and fished, and even on tip you chucked 15-20 yards and could count and count and your tip went down for a bite not across lol. We pre baited at end of each day with 30-40 balls or so to keep fish in vicinity.

Regarding the depth I ended up fishing with power gum in top kit 12.5metres to hand with only 3-3 1/2 feet from pole tip to top of 6 gram float, it was a bit of a handful to be honest. However saying all that the best day I had 100lb+ of hybrids and bream and odd roach with 30-50lb on quite a few other days.

For an 11 year old unless you can fish alot closer in and get the fish to come closer it may not be ideal for the better bream bags, the feeder and tip may be best option cast just over the shelf if you can avoid the swan mussels?

Comment

thanks for that - he''s quite accomplished at pole fishing but he really wants to fish feeder so should be okay

Comment

Working...
        X