Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

OK...tell me about waggler floats!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK...tell me about waggler floats!

Just been down to my local tackle shop to do a bit more "research". I was looking at the floats...they ranged from about 2 inches to about 12 inches long. I understand that the different lengths will require different shot weights to sink them but what is the general rule of thumb for their use?

Thanks again

think u need more than a forum to explain that 1 u need to sit with someone whos fishing with 1 to show ya

Comment

oh, ok then. Thanks.

Comment

I'll at least try to explain briefly.
        Generally, the longer and bulkier the float the deeper the water you'd use them in. The finer the tip, the more sensitive the float.
        I'd be more inclined to use a float with a big fat tip with a fairly substantial bait. Smaller baits,targeting smaller, shy biting fish, would usually mean a slim sensitive tip.

I'd not select a dinky little two inch float unless I were fishing no more than a couple of feet deep. I'd not generally select a float a foot long unless I was fishing in excess of five feet deep.

Comment

Thanks Sam, thats what I was after. So would a 6 inch waggler with a slim tip be right for general use, ie 3-5 feet of still water using maggot?

Many thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonparker View Post
            Thanks Sam, thats what I was after. So would a 6 inch waggler with a slim tip be right for general use, ie 3-5 feet of still water using maggot?

Many thanks in advance.
            It shouldn't be far off the mark.

Comment

Dont make the mistake that most folks make with wagglers, by fishing one too light, its not the depth of water as much as how far you need to cast. The shot around the float doesnt affect your presentation at all.
              The best example i can give is a few years ago in a local club match, on our club pond which was about 20meters wide, one guy was struggling to cast exactly where he wanted to fish, he asked what he was doing wrong, I stopped fishing myself and went to help him, he was trying to cast 3/4 of the way across with smallish 2 x bb one, I looked in his box and got out a much bigger float, and put on 3 x AAA , one above and two below and then told him to cast past where he wanted to fish and sink his line back to his spot. he went on to do quite well after that, and thanked me for the advice. All my wagglers are home made peacocks, straight ones for running water and insert ones for still and slow waters, I use a thinner piece of peacock for the inserts which can be up 3-4 " long. for normal waggler work I would never use a float shorter than about 7", taking at least 2 x AAA shot, another factor is how windy it is, if there are waves on the water a longer float will be much more stable.
              Bike racing, match angling pensioner.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Sutty View Post
                  think u need more than a forum to explain that 1 u need to sit with someone whos fishing with 1 to show ya
                  As above with a LOT of practice
                  [URL]http://talkangling.co.uk/fishing/tackle-sale/61600-high-quality-chianti-style-handmade-pole-floats-0-2-0-7-a.html[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by daskin View Post
                    Dont make the mistake that most folks make with wagglers, by fishing one too light, its not the depth of water as much as how far you need to cast. The shot around the float doesnt affect your presentation at all.
                    The best example i can give is a few years ago in a local club match, on our club pond which was about 20meters wide, one guy was struggling to cast exactly where he wanted to fish, he asked what he was doing wrong, I stopped fishing myself and went to help him, he was trying to cast 3/4 of the way across with smallish 2 x bb one, I looked in his box and got out a much bigger float, and put on 3 x AAA , one above and two below and then told him to cast past where he wanted to fish and sink his line back to his spot. he went on to do quite well after that, and thanked me for the advice. All my wagglers are home made peacocks, straight ones for running water and insert ones for still and slow waters, I use a thinner piece of peacock for the inserts which can be up 3-4 " long. for normal waggler work I would never use a float shorter than about 7", taking at least 2 x AAA shot, another factor is how windy it is, if there are waves on the water a longer float will be much more stable.
                    Five years on and this information is still helping novices like me. Who needs expensive magazines when we have this forum Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Vimes View Post
                      It shouldn't be far off the mark.
                      You will have seen some "Loaded Wagglers" (there's a weight already attached to the bottom of the float) In that case, you'll need some of these as shot either side of the float will sink it before the shot down the line are added. There's loads on the market, but they all go on the same way.
                      See the link below.

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...VM9myt-bn9yoMc
                      [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Comment

never used the maver but used to use preston and mainly drennan, changed to guru as they hold a little better but im reluctant to pay guru prices, i think guru have pushed the price of tackle up

Comment

Working...
                        X