Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Which float Rod????

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which float Rod????

So this year I am looking to enjoy some of the delights of Norfolk river roving! Something that is new to me as I have yet to tackle much in the river world, only a couple of trips to the Wye for babel (much to learn).
    Most of the gear I have is aimed at carp, though I do have a J W Youngs barbel rod and a 9' Chub rod (brand not species), so I think I need some retail therapy before I set out on the Wensum quest!!
    What advise would you guys have in the way of rod and reel for some all round river fishing? I don't want to get the wrong gear and find that I get more play from retrieving a ledger in the lake than I do from a 1lbs perch in the river! (if you know what I mean). I don't really have a budget, but I am only a humble middle classer so will prob have to sell gear to buy gear!

I have been looking at the J W Youngs 13ft 5 piece travel trotter rod with some interest but I am not sure how this will fair as a useable rod outside of float fishing? Any one have an experience of them? the reason I am looking at it is that I do like the barbel version I have and they are fairly reasonably priced! Plus it has the compact design which is something els I would like to enjoy this year (fed up with lugging the barrow around)!!

Comment

shaky mach2 boron

Comment

Originally posted by Gav The Fish View Post
        So this year I am looking to enjoy some of the delights of Norfolk river roving! Something that is new to me as I have yet to tackle much in the river world, only a couple of trips to the Wye for babel (much to learn).
        Most of the gear I have is aimed at carp, though I do have a J W Youngs barbel rod and a 9' Chub rod (brand not species), so I think I need some retail therapy before I set out on the Wensum quest!!
        What advise would you guys have in the way of rod and reel for some all round river fishing? I don't want to get the wrong gear and find that I get more play from retrieving a ledger in the lake than I do from a 1lbs perch in the river! (if you know what I mean). I don't really have a budget, but I am only a humble middle classer so will prob have to sell gear to buy gear!
        You dont sound like a humble middle classer old boy imho. I would use what you have then make a decision
        John

Comment

How about a drennan 1.25lb 12' avon, I used to use it on the wensum for chub and roach.
          I no longer fish on the wensum,so Longer need it

For sale £50
          Scottmckenzie furniture&kitchens

Comment

Gavin, I do the fishing you say your going to do on the wen sum and Yare. If you are trotting chubbier or balsa style. I'm still using my amorphous tournament waggler rod in 13ft.2". But sometimes find a ,longer drennan 15ft dxr ultra lite is perfect for correcting the line when using a pin trotting bread. 3.2lb float fish straight through does ok. Damn iPad predicting my words..

A rod where can add extension is an ideal tool.
            Lee Davison, Period Furniture Restoration, Carpentry. In Norfolk.

Comment

The drx ultralite top top rod handles like a 13ft drennan float fish line but still love the old shakespeare mach 2 boron

Comment

Working...
              X