Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Normark help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normark help

Hola amigos, I’ve hit a dead end for information on older Normark lead rods. Would anyone happen to know the ranges for the 10ft two piece 120.2 and 120.5 rods ?

I’ve got the following rods, does anyone know what the letters mean and what other rods were in the 120.5 range ?

Multi tip NMTQ 120.5
    Multi tip NCTQ 120.5

I’ve also got these rods, any idea what else was in the 120.2 range ?

Quiver tip NCQT 120.2 No 1
    Swing tip NCST 120.2 No 1

Cheers.

NMTQ must be Normark Multi Tip Quiver......(is it TQ or QT?)...Dont know what the "C" means though...Competition ?

Comment

On the 120.2 is says QT which makes sense, I’m lost on the 120.5 !

Comment

I love a code challenge....could the numbers represent the length in inches?

Comment

The NCST
          Is Normark competition Swing Tip
          The 120.5 is Normark Twin Quiver
          Both of those had a full length tip with them as well as a Carrier with push over tips
          The Range also had an 11ft 6" model I think
          Or it may have been 12ft (I didn't really use Normark lead rods John .as I didn't like push over quiver tips
          Check with John Veazey I think his Rod is 12ft but I am not 100% certain
          The other labelling you may encounter is
          NMPB
          Normark part Built .it's a North Western prefix
          Colin

Comment

Normark Multi Tips were available in 11ft and 12ft with push in tips and the 3 tips were the same for both rods. The tips were of the finest Toray Japanese Carbon but very delicate and snapped very easily. Then came the 13ft multi tip which was different because it was the first tip rod ever to feature push over tips they then sold an extra tip known as the bream tip which in the1990s cost £50. You would probably get double that for a mint example now. The earlier tip rods which had no multi tip were the number 1 tip which was a spliced in glass tip and the number 2 which was a carbon tip basically the number 1 on lakes and the number 2 for the river. They also had a 2 piece 10ft tip rod which was more of a bomb rod.

Without a doubt Normark were the best in those days and possiby even now. For what it's worth I still use Titan and Avenger 2000,s for float work and love them but tip wise have moved on to Browning Spheres for my tip fishing.
            John

Comment

The .2 .3 and .5 refer to the number of pieces that made up the rod. The . 2’s were 2 piece rods, 120 meaning 10ft there were 4 of them available.
              NCQT 120-2 (2 piece quiver)
              NCST 120.2 (2 piece swing tip) (1lb 4oz Test Curve)
              NCL 120.2 (2 piece Leger) (1lb 8oc TC)
              NCQT 120.5 (2 piece rod supplied with 3 push in tips)
              There was also an 8ft variant of the 10ft multi tip which had a shorter butt section
              The 11ft rods were coded
              NCQT 132.3 (1) (3 piece quiver spliced glass tip)
              NCQT 132.3 (2) ( 3piece quiver spliced in carbon tip)
              The original 132 and 120 rods had spigots, but later models of the 11ft dispensed with the spigot
              Around that time time the 11ft multi tip quiver was produced followed by the 12 ft rod with push in tips
              All these rods had solid quiver tips, but Normark also produced feeder rods with hollow tips. Firstly the ‘Fast feeder’ which I think was 11ft? ( but could have been 11’6”?) The ‘Medium Fast Feeder’ which was a little softer and definitely 11’6”
              And finally the 13” multi tip which was supplied with 3 hollow push over tips, with a solid spliced ‘bream tip’ also available.
              ( incidentally the Garbolino G series 13 distance feeder was a ‘copy’ of this rod as all the sections interchanged!)
              The Normark name has also been used for a later series of quiver rods but these weren’t a patch on the originals.

Comment

Great informative Post Chavey
                Just the sort of information Big John was looking for
                H is a really nice Fella & is Collecting as close to the full range as possible
                Maybe you would PM him & pass on some of your obvious knowledge of Normark lead rods
                i know he would love someone to point him in the right direction .
                unlike the float rods ,the lead rods rarely sold North of Luton
                Cheers Mate & thanks for the post !!
                Colin

Comment

Hi Chavey, Thank you four your help on this one, it’s greatly appreciated. One question, I have two 120.5 rods, one is a NCTQ 150.2 and the other is a NMTQ 150.2, any ideas why the different lettering prefixes ? I have all the float rods I wanted to collect so just the remaining 120.2 & 120.5 rods to find. I have sent a few rods down to Chris Ward for some restoration. The problem is I like new or super mint rods so I expect my search to take a while ! Cheers, John.

Comment

I’m not sure about the NCTQ and NMTQ variants? I’ll check my 120.5 10ft multi tip tomorrow to see what the prefix letters are on that? The problem you may have is the butt and tip sections of the 10ft rods and the 3 sections of the 11ft rods interchanged and people would sometimes buy one rod and another tip, my 11ft quiver rod had no.2 printed on the butt but I’d more often than not use it with the glass no.1 tip. Imagine I broke the heavier carbon tip, I’d end up with a rod which said no.2 But was in fact a no.1. A similar occurrence could happen with the earlier norboron float rods, they were made in fast and medium variants and the only way you could tell the difference by eye would be to look at the spigot on the middle section, the medium had a hollow spigot, the fast’s was solid, I don’t think there was anything printed on the butt to suggest otherwise, again I’ll have a look at mine tomorrow to see?

Comment

Cheers for the further information. Most people will think I’m off my rocks collecting these old lead rods, Big Col definitely will !! My search for the 120.2 & 120.5 rods continues and I’m after each rod rather than one butt and the tips. I don’t use my rods, almost all are unused or mint. I have a very nice swing tip but that’s the 1st one I’ve seen come up for sale in years. The carrier section on the 11ft multi tip was used in the earlier 8ft multi tip wand so Normark did recycle sections. I’ll be interested to see what variant of the 120.5 you have. Thanks, John.

Comment

Just had a look my rod is the
                        Team Normark multi tip quiver NMTQ 120.5
                        Which was the first multi tip which Normark produced, the tips were slightly wider diameter than the later 11 and 12 foot multi tips

Comment

You have totally answered all my questions, thank you for your help. If you have or come across any of the rods rods I’m after let me know ! Cheers, John.

Comment

Don't ya just love a thread which is as informative as this one...cheers all posters

Comment

Originally posted by rjays View Post
                              Don't ya just love a thread which is as informative as this one...cheers all posters
                              I have known Richard Chave for years and he is very knowledgeable regarding Normarks. Earlier this year Big John visited me to collect a couple of mint unused Normark rod bags for his collection and what a nice guy but definitely on a mission to have the best and most comprehensive Normark collection available. Rob the reason it's so informative is the posters have a knowledge and love of Normarks so the thread doesn't go awol.
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X