Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Preston Equis Feeder Rod paired with a Preston PCR 3000 Competition Reel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preston Equis Feeder Rod paired with a Preston PCR 3000 Competition Reel

Hi Guys

Could you answer me a question, please?

I have just spooled one of the spools of the above reel with 5lb sinking feeder mono 0.20 diameter as per the advice on the reel. The Equis Rod I have just recently bought off Hollysdad (Ben) has a line rating of 3-6lb.

My question is would I be able to use or larger diameter line say up to 8lb in weight on the rod to withstand the rigours of casting a 20g method feeder or match cube

Sorry if I sound thick but I can't find my original post on line ratings for reels

Regards

Preston_Mark
    Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

I’d just stick to what the rod is rated mate. Just for some food for thought I am regularly fishing at 80m+ using 5lb mainline and a 45g feeder + bait catching fish 10lb or more. The thicker the line the more resistance when casting.

Comment

Thanks mr_b
      Mark

Comment

The Equis can only cast a feeder of 35g loaded even on the heaviest tip
        Mark

Comment

You don't need anything more than 6lb line mark- as said above 8lb line would cut down your casting distance noticeably.
          You don't need to be casting anything over 35g either- remember the ratings are there for a reason and these are the optimum weights to get the best performance from the rod without over loading it and possibly breaking it.
          Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
          Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Thanks Paul

I have spoken to Preston and they said a 20g feeder loaded should be the equivalent of 35g casting weight
            Mark

Comment

Working...
            X