Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Bolo Vs Topper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolo Vs Topper

heres a question i would like to throw out there,

Ive often fished the topper of all sizes large to small with some very good catches on the Severn throughout autumn and winter.
    I have been watching some YouTube vids and read some articles on fishing the bolo.
    My question is “whats the the difference” other than the physicality of the make up of the floats themselves?. When would you use the bolo instead of the topper? Both made for the same thing?
    River anglers Go with the flow.

1st of all Rick the Topper was invented to be Cast across the Bristol Avon & moved slowly as possible with almost all the line held off the water .
    Anglers from the Lower Severn soon saw a use for it Mid River ,on venues below Worcester Deep & Steady & affected by Tides etc
    Been used for many years with great Success a Durable float that you can get to do anything you want it to do
    Then came Bolo or King Size Avon floats ,that was only carried by a few
    The Bolo became something that a few Anglers would dabble with but even now it's only just starting to gain recognition ,in various guise's
    Dave Harrel spent some time in the later 80s with MILO & said he wouldn't be happy until he had won a match in the Uk with 20+ of Roach
    The rods were 6 & 7mts Telescopic ,Dave gave me 1 to try on the last day of the season plus 3 floats ,I ended up Fishing with this 7 mtr Telescopic rod
    running a 6gm Bolo Down the Far Bank of the Severn perfectly Sat on my Box .holding back hard ,letting it run ,even managing to move it between lines due to the Weight of the float
    i won my section that day with just under 13lbs i would have caught hardly anything if i had fished waggler & i couldn't help but think this method would be winning matches every week somewhere in the UK
    It didn't seem to take off as i expected it too ,but its still got a place in my bag
    Hope i have helped with what the original designs were made to do ??
    Colin

Comment

Many years ago we watched Mervyn Haskins the inventor of the topper fishing on the Bristol Avon and he also gave his thoughts behind it. The float took 10bb and this was bulked about 18" from the hook with a number 1 as the dropper. Because so many of the swims were parrot cages the float was cast out underarm which is relatively easy with this rig. In normal conditions the Avon was a slow river and he found that the bit of flow was helped by the shot being bulked and moved more naturally. I still use them on a lot of the rivers I fish and use Dave Harrels bolo floats as well mainly when there is a decent flow and I want to hold back hard with the line off the water as Col suggested.
      John

Comment

The main Difference between the Topper & the Bolo
        Topper was a very heavy float that Mervyn Spent a long time Perfecting to give him an edge over the Competition
        The weight & the way it was Shotted not only got the float & bait to the Far Bank with ease ,he designed it to do a specific job
        that was to get the float to Move through the peg in a controlled manner .A method that worked against what many believed
        The reason it worked was it used the Best Components & very heavy Shotting to maximise the natural flow not the visible flow
        that in many cases appeared to not be moving..so many Anglers previously had tried to use the lightest float Possible
        BOLO
        Completely opposite .Made of Stronger Naturally Rigid Materials for the Purpose of Controlling your tackle in Faster Flowing areas
        That requires the Float to be Slowed down & held back Hard even to Stop it Altogether
        Completely opposite ways of achieving the ultimate goal of catching Fish So many different ways of Fishing I love to try different things , i work & work @ every idea all the ins & outs baits ect until i
        decide it's a viable method or a flop
        I am an Innovator to an extent & I Love it
        Colin

Comment

Still struggle to see the difference to be honest,
          I use the topper in anything from 6ft to 15ft of water fast or slow, Severn around Bewdley to Worcester and even the Avon around Myth Farm,
          Different weights to suit different flows and depths, normally run down the middle of the river.
          Dot it down to suit delicacy of bites and flow.

Comment

Rick you are not alone in doing that mate ,
            Lots of people use Float's for purposes other than that ,they were Originally intended for
            The Topper became a firm Favourite of thousands of Anglers due to its Simplicity & the Shot that it carried
            Flicked in Underarm it was very rare for them to get tangled ,A tribute to the talent of a Great Angler
            I would put money on very few Anglers under 45 ,not having a Clue what it was designed for
            But you asked what the difference was between the 2
            If you had asked What Float's can you use for down the middle you would have possibly got a Different Answer
            I would even start looking to use a Slider on lots of pegs Deeper than 12ft ,but save that for another time
            Colin

Comment

I fish the slider quite often too, but wouldn't consider it on running water

Comment

Slider on Running Water was a method i was 1st introduced to @ Bushley over 50trs ago by Jack Phillips ,{possibly the 1st ever National winner}
                In the days it was called the all England .
                A long float rod in those days rarely made the Dizzy lengths of 12ft & weighed a ton
                Jack presented me with 4 floats ,& spent week after week teaching me how to Cast correctly with these Very long floats that had wire rings attached for the line to pass through easily
                They had 4 wire rings 1 @ the top 1 @ the bottom & 2 along the body of the float.
                Slider in it's various forms have Won me a lot of Matches since those Early Days on Rivers Close to Home Severn ,Wye Avon Huntspill ,the Don & on Big Deep Rivers Further afield
                have used it in Ireland ( Northern) where its a favoured method on some Sections ,parts of Cornograde ,the Schools etc are all venues the Slider is used by World Class Anglers Bob Nudd ,Alan Scotthorne , Kevin Ashurst , Mark Downes & many , many more have used it to Great Effect over the years & Will continue to do So .
                To hear you say its a method you have Never done & Never considered has really Surprised me .
                Colin

Comment

Got to say I agree with Col sliders work well on slow moving rivers on the right day
                  John

Comment

Working...
                  X