Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

beastmaster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beastmaster

I have a beastmaster 11ft6" commi pellet waggler rod, and it is the first time that I have noticed it has a big brass counter weight in the butt, it must weigh 4 to 5 ounce, how do other anglers get on with this? do you usually remove it, or does it upset the balance. thanks john

leave it where is
    It is there to balance the rod
    Remove it & the Rod will be totally unbalanced
    It will ruin your Rod
    Colin

Comment

cheers col.

Comment

If it's anything like the original Speedmaster Commercials, what appears to be a single lump of metal at first glance, might actually be two or three pieces screwed together. You can remove them all or remove some of them to adjust the balance to suit your preference in respect to the specific reel that you are going to use with the rod. I've taken to using a tiny lightweight Ci4+ Shimano reel with my Speedmaster. All bar the smallest of three balance weights are removed. Not doing so make the rod unnaturally tip light, which makes the rod feel really weird in use.

Comment

hello sam, its the shimano bx model, and the weight screws into the removable neoprene cap on the base, I have just had another look, and it is all one piece solid brass,,but like you say you have to use a reel that balances it properly otherwise it can be a pain when holding the rod for hours, cheers john

Comment

Originally posted by johnrh View Post
            hello sam, its the shimano bx model, and the weight screws into the removable neoprene cap on the base, I have just had another look, and it is all one piece solid brass,,but like you say you have to use a reel that balances it properly otherwise it can be a pain when holding the rod for hours, cheers john
            I don't have that exact rod, but I do have an original Beastmaster Commercial Floatcast. Rather than a single brass lump, it has three seperate pieces that screw together. The biggest is 20g, next 15g and the smallest is 10g. Did you buy the rod second hand? Because I'd wonder if the original weights have been lost and then replaced with one brass lump.

Comment

no its from new,, and it is original, with a big brass thread that screws into the cap before the cap is then screwed back to the butt, it does balance the rod exactly where the reel sits, but it makes a heavy rod when the reel is fitted, cheers john

Comment

Sam is correct as I used to have Beastmasters years ago and the rear weight was adjustable are you certain your not missing the grooves in the rear brass weight? Pull it out and give it a spray of WD40 and leave it overnight then try unscrewing it.
                John

Comment

Originally posted by lambrettasx200 View Post
                  Sam is correct as I used to have Beastmasters years ago and the rear weight was adjustable are you certain your not missing the grooves in the rear brass weight? Pull it out and give it a spray of WD40 and leave it overnight then try unscrewing it.
                  John i have 2 of the exact rods in question & i Can Confirm that the Balancing weight is not adjustable
                  its just 1 solid piece .
                  these rods are Brand New .Christmas presents .
                  I have 2 of the earlier model they both have Adjustable weights in the Butt
                  Although i have tried all permutations of the loading ,i have found that the Rod actually feels really heavy until you set it up
                  & put a Reel on .
                  The Balance is fantastic & i can use it all day, with No Problem .The action when playing fish up to 23.6 my biggest on it too date is faultless
                  The only way you can shorten a Cork Handle to allow easy handing is to add weight to the elbow area

Colin

Comment

Originally posted by BIG COL View Post

John i have 2 of the exact rods in question & i Can Confirm that the Balancing weight is not adjustable
                    its just 1 solid piece .
                    these rods are Brand New .Christmas presents .

Are you sure that they are BXs as the current models are CX?

Comment

yes, they are bx, and solid brass counterweight, I am used to harrisons, and normarks, with no weighted butt ends, seems odd to me, cheers both. john

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Vimes View Post

Are you sure that they are BXs as the current models are CX?
                        Sam the 2 that i have recently purchased as Christmas presents are BX ,
                        As i dont Fish commercials unless i have too /Team matches only.
                        I was not aware that there is now a Newer model
                        These BX are the Rods i was asked to get , i assumed that they had modified the loading to 1 piece because adjustment isn't needed.
                        Garbolino did the same with thier Rocket Pickers ,A few of my mates said they were amazing for Earleswood ,Boddington etc
                        they gave me a complete set & my initial opinion was they were useless . until i put a Reel on a 10ft & went on to win that match
                        catching 16 carp for 213lbs ,never lost a Fish ,

Colin

Comment

Fair enough, Col. Maybe there's been a bit of a cost reduction exercise part way through the product cycle. Pleased the Beastmasters and Speedmasters I own have the three piece counterweights. None of them need all three to balance. Using all three tends to make them feel really weird.

Comment

Working...
                          X