Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Traditional Handmade floats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traditional Handmade floats

Just a short post, how many anglers make their own floats. something I have been getting into more and more, from a start 2 years ago.
    I have always been an enthusiastic model boat builder and started playing around making my own floats, after buying some excellent examples from Andrew Field. Starting off with some old tatty porcupine quills from ebay, which I stripped and whipped new eyes to and added decorative whippings.

Self made fishing floats by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Selection of self made fishing floats by Andrew Wright, on Flickr

Comment

Yes" porckies" are a good place to start.
      Andrew Field made what I consider the most awesome floats to be had at any price,they are works of art and doubt I could bring myself to use one.
      Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

I don't do pretty,as long as they are functional,they will do for me.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post

Yes" porckies" are a good place to start.
          Andrew Field made what I consider the most awesome floats to be had at any price,they are works of art and doubt I could bring myself to use one.
          I bought 5 Andrew Field floats in 2012 for ?30.00, from Andrew Field. Wish I had bought more at the time, some of the ones I have are over GBP25.00 each nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post

I bought 5 Andrew Field floats in 2012 for ?30.00, from Andrew Field. Wish I had bought more at the time, some of the ones I have are over GBP25.00 each nowadays.
            When you consider the quality,six pounds each is a very small price to pay,to my mind it would be sacralidge to even get them wet, mine are for using and cost only pennies but are as ugly as sin.lol.
            ZANDER FLOATS 001

Comment

Ive made a few now with Crow quills for extra light waggler style fishing,Have to say they are the first float I reach for when fishing close in.
              Dipped twice/three times in clear nail varnish after a very light sanding and de-burr tipped with glow in the dark nail varnish.
              I'll post up a pic or two when I get the chance.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post

When you consider the quality,six pounds each is a very small price to pay,to my mind it would be sacralidge to even get them wet, mine are for using and cost only pennies but are as ugly as sin.lol.
                ZANDER FLOATS 001
                I have used some of mine occasionally, but it takes a lot of nerve to fish a float you know is going to cost GBP27.00 to replace if you lose it, I think that?s why I started making my own, at least I can make a replacement.

Comment

Working...
                X