Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

What now for the Rivers??...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What now for the Rivers??...

Over the years, i`ve lost count of the number of the number of anglers who have said "The Rivers need a good flush out!", well they`re certainly getting that now. Given the state of river fishing in general over the last few years, how do you feel they will be affected?. my own feeling is that with fish being found in roads, fields etc, catches could be affected greatly by this, it certainly wont improve stock levels, it remains to be seen how the fry will react to the current situation, we could, theoretically, lose an entire generation of fry because of this winters floods, have any studies been done to assess the affect of severe and prolonged floods on river fish stocks, i would welcome any informed answers from anyone involved if there have. It goes without saying that when eventually the rivers are fishable again, someone will drop on a big shoal of Bream/Barbel whatever, bag up and get his name in the Angling press, but in general, i think this is just going to make the rivers even harder. As a river angler, i hope i`m wrong.
    Never knowingly exploited a flyer.

The rivers need to be open all year round,to much red tape in this country in all walks of life

Comment

Originally posted by trentman3 View Post
      The rivers need to be open all year round,to much red tape in this country in all walks of life
      Yep!!...
      Never knowingly exploited a flyer.

Comment

another vote here for that

Comment

And another here.

Comment

Agree the close season is antiquated and I think most anglers agree it should be abolished, but that in itself won't improve the state of river fishing will it? Britain's rivers need concentrated efforts to improve and maintain fish stocks, such as the Avon Roach Project, legislation to allow a cull of cormorants, and bolstered efforts from the Environment Agency to tackle pollution and poaching. I don't fish rivers currently, but I plan to have a stab at river fishing in the future, and personally I'd happily pay an extra £10 or so each year for my rod licence if the extra money was guaranteed to be put directly into improving the state of the rivers.
            Steve

Comment

I can understand the call for all year round river fishing,take 3 months out for the closed season and 3 months of floods etc during winter,then the season is only 6 months.i really feel for clubs that leases stretches and then struggles to try and cover their costs etc.But if the rivers were open all year round like canals and commercials then maybe the excitement and magic of opening day is lost.I was chuffed when canals etc were opened all year round,at first.But im not so sure now.When the fish are getting ready to spawn they are hard to catch,resulting in poor matches etc.The 3 month break used to be a time where you sorted your tackle out,did the decorating,lol,and got very bored.But once open again then all the enthusiasm to fish returned and fishing seemed great again.What I think would be a good idea is for clubs leasing stretches of river to be able to implement their own closed season.we all know fish don't spawn on cue,and different species spawn at different times[seen perch spawning in nov/December ]So to have a set 3 months doesn't really work.On the canals for example the roach seem to be spawning later,with july seeming to be about the time now.So any closed season wouldn't cover that species,and im presuming the river fish are similar.So any responsible club could implement there own close season when the fish are actually ready to spawn and not[as the rules are now]when legislation says they should be spawning.As for the original question,then I fear the worst.watched on the tv the severn at Worcester and its a wonder anything can swim in that current.Im wondering how many fish in rivers nearer to the coasts will end up in the sea.But hopefully the floods will soon vanish then maybe this years fry will be ok and the flush out might do some good in the long term.At least the floods are now and not directly after spawning has happened.To think we still have snow and ice to come yet!

Comment

Your so right spot on trentman

Comment

I agree about being able to vary the close season, On the river I fish in winter the levels are lowered and usually is fishing pretty well when we have to stop fishing on 15th March--It would be better to allow us to carry on fishing until the river is brought up to summer level, roughly end of April--then have a 2-3 month close season.
                  PS: it is just about unfishable in the summer months anyway--as it is chock-a-block with weed,, so it is only really fished from October to March anyway.
                  Bike racing, match angling pensioner.

Comment

In 2007 we had the biggest ever floods on our Avon at Evesham - 18ft- and for 2 years after no one caught anything except big fish, so no roach etc., however they returned after 2010, and the last three years the river has fished better and better for everything- this year especially it's been full of fry, so this is proof that nature finds a way.
                    The difference this year is that whereas the 2007 floods were in the summer, which I would assume had a devastating effect on fry, this year they're in the winter, so the fry has had that bit longer to grow, so hopefully will be more resilient. I guess the proof will be when we next get to fish them.

Cornerstone- I'me sure big Col will bear me out here- the Severn is always flooding like as it's a spate river, and I am not aware of any serious post -flood effects in previous years- I know these latest floods are the highest since 2007, but the level regularly reaches levels within 2/3rds of this height, and the fishing doesn't seem to suffer afterwards from what I've seen. Again we'll see!

Also - I used to live in Taunton in Somerset for the first 20 years of my life, and there was rarely a winter when the levels didn't become one huge lake, so personally 'm not surprised at these floods. Yes there are properties which haven't flooded before, but then this time round we've had the heaviest rain for 100 years, it just annoys me how people keep blaming the Env. Agency for a natural event that is impossible to stop. There's no doubt that there has been a massive trauma to many people living there, but it is a bit of a simplistic response to look to blame other in this situation. IMO anyway. Rant over!

Comment

Well, you can't really argue with that comment!

Comment

The main Rd Bridge in Worcester was Closed on Sunday night ,the 1st time i have ever seen this
                        The New Bus Station@ Crowngate was Closed due to up to 6ft floodwater turning it into a lake
                        I have noticed that over the last 4 or 5yrs the floods have become more of a problem ,flooding areas that have previously been unaffected
                        In this time there have been 70,000 houses built in worcester alone,they all use the Original Services No New Drains /Sewers have been
                        Made
                        Surely the Sewerage network it running way beyond its capacity
                        Another Factor in these Higher Levelis Flood defences that are erected all along the Severn,they channell all the water through the towns !!
                        this water has to go somewhere Downstream,are they not just moving the problems downstream??
                        they did not have enough Barriers to put defences up in Worcester this time because they had to leave them in place upstream ??
                        There have been thousands of Homes Built recently very close to flood plains all over worcs /gloucs etc
                        Suprise suprise they get flooded !! What do they expect??
                        Until people start to look @ the reasons for the floods they will get worse not Better
                        The Rivers flooding isnt the Fault of the E/A its Natural & until the Goverment spend Millions,
                        Stop building houses on flood plains or close to them
                        If we dont have enough Houses then Stop Immigration
                        there are too many people here as it is
                        its a bloody miracle Britain aint Sunk !!
                        on Utilising this water using Locks underwater Reservoirs Actualy turning Unused Flood Plains into Inland Seas etc
                        Water levels are controlled elsewhere so why not here
                        Instead of Spending Million & Millions on other countries Problems its about time the Goverment decided to spend OUR MONEY
                        on our Needs instead
                        Last edited by BIG COL; 11th February 2014, 01:19 PM.
                        Colin

Comment

Totally agree.Spend the oversees aid budget in this country.We will all drown before any overseas country have a whip round for our disasters.As for somerset and its surrounding areas,it was kept pretty quiet for over a month.But soon as the thames starts to flood then lo and behond the ministers start to wake up and as usual blame anyone[The EA mainly]but themselves.We all know about government cuts and the EA having to employ unpaid volunteers to be fishing bailiffs,so im betting the Ea have had there budjet slashed.The cynic in me is wondering how many mp's have there plush pads alongside the thames in lovely Oxfordshire?That wouldn't be why they have sprung into action surely,lol.

Comment

Do politicians have lovely Big Houses by the River??
                            i thought they spent all their waking hours in Parliament ruining our Country !!
                            i wonder how many 2nd homes the Tax payer will end up re-building this time
                            The damage that has been caused by the floods this last 6/7 weeks will take in some cases years to put right
                            Its not just the water that comes down the Rivers thats the Problem
                            its Underground they need to sort out & the sooner the better !!
                            Colin

Comment

Whats the odds that IF we have another good hot summer,some areas will start calling it a drought and talk of hosepipe bans will start.

Comment

Working...
                              X