Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

pellet wag?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pellet wag?

just sorting my tackle out for the coming year, haven't really done a lot of pellet wag fishing but a change of match venues this year will see me doing a lot more, so whats your favourite setup? I'm still a bit old school in thinking you should use the lightest reel lines and hooklengths you can get away with but I know lot now go the other way using very heavy lines and big floats, so whats your ideal setup, lines, floats, how do you attach the float etc?
    thanks
    paul.

We use crystal wagglers at home, pellet wagglers won't get no where near as many bites. If you use drennan crystals you can take the base out and replace it with a heavier one so you don't need shot on the line. I lock mine with grippa stops up to 3 each side of the float. I always use 0.22 diameter main line and 0.19 hook length. If bites are hard to come by I will go down to 0.15 but my rod is to powerful and I do get snapped if I'm not careful!

Comment

I was thinking more proper pellet wag fishing at decent distances on open type waters, I use the drennan crystals for wag n mag in the winter with a bit of solder wire wrapped round the base to fish with nothing down the line on the drop.
      I've bought a full set of handmade pellet wags made by a local angler that are spot on and cast very well, sizes 6,8 and 10g preloaded to the tip but they come with a wire loop at the base so need a swivel, tried gripper stops in the past but there not man enough when going for a big chuck with a 10g or more float although I've only tried them with 5lb line, perhaps grip better on a bigger diameter line?

Comment

Waggler adapters are ok with big wagglers. I use the John Bonny wagglers on Boddingtons and the like but to be honest its pointless casting past your feed so I use grippa stops with not to much power on the cast. You can fish the waggler in a loop and very the length of hook length to alter the depth. I don't like that way and go grippa stop every time.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisky Fish View Post
          We use crystal wagglers at home, pellet wagglers won't get no where near as many bites.
          What venue is that on Frisky?
          Steve

Comment

I wouldn't fish less than 6lb line for pellet wag- you'd be forever getting snapped up on the take in summer when they're feeding savagely. Set your drag fairly loose is a good lesson i've learnt over the years too.
            Mind you, most of my pellet wag fishing has been done at gold valley, where any bite could be a barney rubble- and they take no prisoners.
            Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
            Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Its on a club water in Burnley. Full of carp up to 30lb+ but nobody ever lands em! wall running across under the water, if the fish doesnt turn then its good night Viena

Comment

Originally posted by paul k View Post
                I wouldn't fish less than 6lb line for pellet wag- you'd be forever getting snapped up on the take in summer when they're feeding savagely. Set your drag fairly loose is a good lesson i've learnt over the years too.
                Mind you, most of my pellet wag fishing has been done at gold valley, where any bite could be a barney rubble- and they take no prisoners.
                planning to have a proper go at hallcroft this year, similar in respect that theres a lot of big carp in the lakes and in some matches particularly on a Saturday there maybe no one on the far bank so the fish that are cruising around back off past half way which makes it a decent chuck, thinking I need something beefy setup for those odd days when you can't catch short or down the edge, what you think is the optimum setup, rod length, reel size etc for fishing 6-7lb line with 10g float?
                thanks
                paul.

Comment

Hi Paul - target fish you are after size wise then use the lightest line you can get away with and least gram float for the distance you need. On most days you'll find that the Carp will back off from the splash of the Wag so its all about presentation again. Feather the float so the pellet lands 3 feet behind the wag and you'll find that this will work when the very shallow approach of a heavy wag and pellet hitting the water together does not. You will see the diff when you fire out several pellets and get swirls but can't get a take when fishing heavy shallow.
                  The maximum I will use is 4lb maxima for the big stuff and 3lbs when targeting up to 6lb fish.

Comment

that's basically the setup I've got at the mo, 4lb reel line on an exage 2500's, rods wise maver powerlite 11ft, diawa sr3 11ft, I'd use drennan 4-5g crystal wags with maybe an 0.15 bottom, thinking I want some thing a bit heavier to add to my armoury for this venue where theres a lot of big lumps upto 20lb and as I say you might be chucking a long way to reach the fish.
                    I was considering a 12ft rod and bigger exage reel, maybe a 4000 with 6lb reel line, pellet wag isn't "the" method at this venue, most fish are caught on pole out front and in the gutter but I know from past experience that some days especially when it's red hot and theres no wind they just don't want to play early in the match, if you could find 2-3 fish chucking across they're a real bonus when you may only need 60lb to win.

Comment

If my memory serves me correct Hallcroft is fairly wide therefore on windy days you will need to use a heavier float like a 5 gram Crystals (not easy to get hold of). However I'd still stick with 4lb maxima main line to aid casting and then use 0.18 or 0.21 Silstar hook lengths. These bottom rigs should still break before your maxima (if not damaged) due to the huge stretch it has. This set up has served me well in landing lumps at W.A and the Viaduct so I'm confident with it to continue. Why not give your current set up a go first and only step up to a much heavier rig if you start loosing fish. Chances are you will not hook one of those crafty 20s and could be missing out on catching 4 or 5 smaller 8lb fish. Again stick with your softer rod first so to balance the whole set up.
                      I have recently started to use a Preston main line that's blue in colour (can't recall it's name right now) it has very similar qualities to that of Maxima. however it is coated and I find that the 4 or 5lb line comes of the spool even smoother and therefore aids casting. Apologies for the war and piece lol.

Comment

no bother mate, some good info there, must admit I'm a lot more comfortable fishing lighter lines that are easier to cast with lighter floats, just feel I'm doing it right rather than crashing something into the lake and hoping for the best.
                        are you still using smaller match type reels or something bigger?

Comment

I'm using TDR reels like 2503s, but occasionally step up a size with a larger dia spool 3012s. A mate of mine has just purchased two of the new Diawa double handle TDRs (black and gold). These look to be spot on for bomb and wag, I think you can see them on a Mark Sawer video of the Team Match 11' Pellet Wag rod. Off to work cant wait to retire and fish for fun.

Comment

At Hallcroft, all you need are 4-6G floats, 3 or 4lb reel line, the same can be said for the majority of venues, thicker line means you can't cast the required distance without using too big a float and the wind catches it too quickly.

Comment

most who use pellet wag at hallcroft in summer use it just to mug cruising fish in flat calm conditions you can sometimes put a weight together using conventional pellet wag tactics if you have fish in front of you. Never seen anyone chucking a wag to far bank and usually weekend matches are double banked ive used 4lb reel lines there, but been seen off to many times , so use 6lb now

Comment

Working...
                              X