Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

carp and deep water

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carp and deep water

Hello, I fish a water the size of half a football field that is 14ft deep in mid, the margins are 6ft at 4ft out from the side no features only a few reeds .The pool fishes well in summer the carp go from 1lb to 15lbs + but come the winter you can not buy a bite on anything or any method this is the same year after year, come early spring they start showing again. We have tryed up in the water, zigs, all types of bait [nothing] In the summer the carp can be cought on most methods,pole,rod,n line,feeder, wag, pellet,wag,and take most baits, any ideas on why they totally switch off or hold up, I must add that the water does not have a great amount of fish, a good day in summer would be three to four carp, a bad day zero, To catch a carp after october and before april, is dam impossible. So can anybody shed any light on the problem, i would just love to crack it becouse winter time you have the water to yourself, no one goes becouse you can not get a bite . Thanks all.

Sounds like part of the problem is the low stocking level - you say a good day in summer is 3-4 carp, on a lot of venues that's a terrible day! Carp tend to shoal up really tight in winter and are very inactive - they won't come to your bait like in summer, you have to go to them. Have you tried casting around with a lead and looking for liners to help you find the fish?
    Steve

Comment

Also, does it hold other fish ie. silvers, or is it just carp? If its stocked with silvers as well then why not just target them in winter? Could be a cracking days fishing to be had on just half a pint of maggots!
      Steve

Comment

Carp have a knack of getting out the way. If your the only person on there then they will simply move away from you

Comment

fish a few waters with similar depths as described, if carp are caught at all this time of year it's either in the margins or out in the middle shallow, the fish aren't actively feeding they're going where the warmest water is through the middle of the day, in a match situation generally the method would be to feed nothing and fish a single or double maggot on the drop or a small pop up fished 2-3ft from the surface but you've got to be fishing where the fish are to catch one, in a match they will always go either wheres theres cover or where they can get furthest away from the anglers, end pegs are always a massive advantage, the wind always plays a part as well, seems if it's a cold easterly they go where they can get out of the wind i.e in the opposite direction or if it's a warm westerly they follow the wind.
          if your there at first light generally if you wait long enough you'll see a sign of a fish somewhere on the lake and in the winter you can be sure where theres one theres several more, you just cant see em.

Comment

Thanks for your input guys, you have given me some great info that i can try out. The pool has 3 or 4 matches on it a year in summer and catches are poor, only half dozen carp get cought, they have put matches on in the past in winter with a full 20 pegs in only to get 18 dry nets so yes it is hard. The water stays a good colour even in winter, but it wont take match presure at all. Yes your so right about the stock level and fish spooking. still it is just a great place to go and fish there is a certain magic about the place. I have tryed the bomb,nothing and with pop up or dead maggots, but as you say could be in the wrong location so next time out with some of your info the tip might just go round thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X