Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

chub & barbel in pond / lakes breeding ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chub & barbel in pond / lakes breeding ?

do chub, barbel, dace, grayling etc. breed in ponds & lakes ??

Chub and barbel spawn in loxley pond so I assume they spawn in other ponds as well.

Comment

They may spawn but do the eggs get eaten or do they hatch? I I again they would need plenty of oxygen and gravel bottom to do well

Comment

Originally posted by Frisky Fish View Post
        They may spawn but do the eggs get eaten or do they hatch? I I again they would need plenty of oxygen and gravel bottom to do well
        a lot of lakes/Ponds have the same quality's as some rivers some are fed by them or fast flowing Brooks .Westwood (the other side of town from Loxley has also seen small Barbel coming through from a stocking a few years ago and Chub regularly breed up in the inlet end of the Res.

Comment

I'm not surprised nature has a knack of adapting

Comment

They definitely hatch because you often catch little barbel and chublets.

Comment

A lot of people say it's not right putting those fish in lakes but it just goes to show they are wrong and the fish can thrive

Comment

In my experience it's mostly people that have never caught stillwater chub and barbel that have a problem with them being there. I do think they should only be kept in waters with high flow inlets though as they seem to thrive when this is the case.

Comment

Originally posted by Frisky Fish View Post
                  A lot of people say it's not right putting those fish in lakes but it just goes to show they are wrong and the fish can thrive
                  Monkeys thrive in cages!!!

Barbel need gravel and flowing water to reproduce and thrive. Stillwater barbel dont attain the sizes of their flowing water counterparts, which says it all. In my opinion, they have no place in commercials!
                  Real men fish rivers

Comment

I completely disagree with you on that johnny, barbel can definitely reproduce and thrive in stillwaters. The biggest barbel to come out of loxley was nearly 13lb and they haven't been stocked for a particularly long time. Every barbel you catch from loxley looks fit and healthy and they fight like demons.

Comment

who said that chub and barbel should only live in fast flowing water, is it written in stone, if the fish are growing and spawning and healthy then they are comfortable in stillwater

Comment

If remember rightly a few years ago I saw in the angling press someone had caught a massive barbel in the high teens while only fishing a commie because the rivers were in flood.

Comment

Working...
                        X