Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

net dips

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • net dips

    after reading posts on net dipping it was suggested that some fisheries use jeyes fluid, is this correct, i would have thought it would have been harmful to waterlife

  • #2
    So would I mate
    I would think that the Majority of Household Disinfectant's would be Harmful
    I remember when my Dad was Alive
    ,He Collected Rare Koi some were worth £1000's ,Mom Hosed the Surrounding elevated patio areas with Jeyes Fluid.
    Dad spent weeks sat by that Pool cleaning & Scrubbing every crook & cranny .He moved the Fish into 3 old Breeding pools @
    his mates ,He & his mate treated those fish for 6 weeks with Antibiotic's & a Special Burns cream.
    After the Ph levels had returned to normal & there was no trace of Toxins ,the Carp were returned but the pool still
    required monitoring & Constant Aerating for the Next 6 mths
    If i owned a Fishery Net dips would be a Definite No go area
    Colin

    Comment


    • #3
      So would it be worth using Jeyes or should I stump up for the one that Fosters sells? That is if I continue with the idea of a net dip

      Have a look at this

      https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Fish-disinfection.aspx
      Last edited by Preston_Mark; 10th June 2018, 12:07 PM.
      Mark

      "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Preston_Mark View Post
        So would it be worth using Jeyes or should I stump up for the one that Fosters sells? That is if I continue with the idea of a net dip

        Have a look at this

        https://www.vetark.co.uk/pages/Fish-disinfection.aspx
        Hi Mark, here's the Health & Safety Data Sheet for Jeye's Fluid - see 12.1 (or 12.2) NOT CONSIDERED HARMFUL TO FISH.

        https://www.officestationery.co.uk/d...HH/JY00107.pdf

        So looks like no need to waste money on dearer stuff??

        Might make fish in a garden pond a bit off colour for a while as Col said, but on the whole it appears safe to use.
        [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

        Comment


        • #5
          Mark, forget the net dip its not necessary just make sure your nets and landing net are left out to dry and then there's no problem. You go to your next fishery with your nets in pristine condition dry nets are safe nets.
          John

          Comment


          • #6
            After Dad's Experience with Jeyes Fluid ,they sent a bottle of the Stuff to be analysed to Birmingham Universary .
            The report that came back along with the results from the water Samples that the environment agency insisted they had to have done.
            in case the cause of the severe Burn like Blisters & massively Swollen Eyes .was linked to the Carp virus that was appearing around a lot of the Carp venues @ that time .
            Came back stating that although levels of contamination were relatively low due mainly to the pool being so large .
            It was the opinion of the Fisheries Scientists the cause of the infection was unquestionably the presence of Jeyes Fluid .
            The measure in the Pools was very low ,compared to that of a Popular Commercial Fishery that makes everyone dip their nets every time its fished .
            The transfer of potentially dangerous chemicals is astounding & any riparian owner if trying to Claim on insurance could very easily
            find that they are considered Negligent & the insurance refuse to pay out .
            Dad or the rest of his group of friend never had any more issues .
            IMO i woud never ue liquids of any tyoe
            Colin

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks John
              Mark

              "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BIG COL View Post
                After Dad's Experience with Jeyes Fluid ,they sent a bottle of the Stuff to be analysed to Birmingham Universary .
                The report that came back along with the results from the water Samples that the environment agency insisted they had to have done.
                in case the cause of the severe Burn like Blisters & massively Swollen Eyes .was linked to the Carp virus that was appearing around a lot of the Carp venues @ that time .
                Came back stating that although levels of contamination were relatively low due mainly to the pool being so large .
                It was the opinion of the Fisheries Scientists the cause of the infection was unquestionably the presence of Jeyes Fluid .
                The measure in the Pools was very low ,compared to that of a Popular Commercial Fishery that makes everyone dip their nets every time its fished .
                The transfer of potentially dangerous chemicals is astounding & any riparian owner if trying to Claim on insurance could very easily
                find that they are considered Negligent & the insurance refuse to pay out .
                Dad or the rest of his group of friend never had any more issues .
                IMO i woud never ue liquids of any tyoe
                Thanks COL
                Mark

                "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

                Comment


                • #9
                  Jeye's have changed the formula to comply with EU reg's - probably hence now, it's considered to be safe for fish??

                  Whether or not one agrees that dry nets are best (I do) you still have to dip where the fishery says so!!
                  [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Obviously if the rules of a fishery state your net must be dipped ,then you have no choice but to do so.
                    However your Net must be Dipped @ the Fishery not @ home in your own tank.
                    If there was an outbreak of a Disease you could very Easily end up being blamed by the Fishery for Causing the problem. & facing a court case .
                    Mark Don't even consider Using your own Net Dip Mate ,It could end up Costing you Far More than the price of a bottle of Disinfectant. If the Fishery has a No Dip Policy you Could face Prosecution if they found out ,also if they did have a Dipping Policy & they found out you could face exactly the same situation. Save yourself some money & steer clear of creating your own Net dip it is a
                    Total Waste of Time.
                    Colin

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thanks again COL

                      I'll just use it for washing my nets then
                      Mark

                      "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Preston_Mark View Post
                        Thanks again COL

                        I'll just use it for washing my nets then

                        Nets do not need washing,I have a water butt and a separate black bin which also collects rainwater, my nets get dipped in rainwater then hung on a spare washing line till dry,have done for 10+ years with no problems.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by maverboy View Post
                          Nets do not need washing,I have a water butt and a separate black bin which also collects rainwater, my nets get dipped in rainwater then hung on a spare washing line till dry,have done for 10+ years with no problems.
                          Exactly
                          John

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by maverboy View Post
                            Nets do not need washing,I have a water butt and a separate black bin which also collects rainwater, my nets get dipped in rainwater then hung on a spare washing line till dry,have done for 10+ years with no problems.
                            That's what I meant
                            Mark

                            "At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X