power lines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power lines

there is a peg on the canal I want to fish but its right under the power lines, is it safe ?

If the power lines are on a HIGH National Grid type Pylon, you should be fine (Some local power lines can be quite low & I wouldn't recommend fishing under those)

If still in doubt, use a Glass Fibre Rod, with a cork handle as against a carbon one - which is HIGHLY CONDUCTIVE and Electricity can "Arc" across from the cable to rod tip (& a few feet at that!!) especially in wet weather.

There's one venue near me, (also a canal as it happens) where fishing under the LOW power lines is prohibited for the obvious above reasons.

Rubber soled footwear would also be advised!!

One piece of advise I was given in my younger days is "There isn't a fish in all the world worth the risk of your life"
    Last edited by martin56; 27th April 2018, 11:56 PM.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Comment

For you to ask the question,you know there is a potential risk of injury.No one in their right mind would say yes it is safe.
      This may sound harsh,but as said,no fish if worth injury or death.

regards

2TS
      ANGLING ATHLETE, CARLSBERG TETLEY AC.

Comment

Fine as long as you break down the pole at not in the rain, damp or high humidity.
        Besides your from the blackcountry so fish with one foot in a bucket, and if you get a shock collect the volts and amperes in the bucket and use them to power your house for a few months
        River anglers Go with the flow.

Comment

The sections of towpath near any power lines normally has warning signs not to fish within a certain distance each side of the lines , is that a clue!!!
          MR. BLUE SKY

Comment

Originally posted by Rick b View Post
            Fine as long as you break down the pole at not in the rain, damp or high humidity.
            Besides your from the blackcountry so fish with one foot in a bucket, and if you get a shock collect the volts and amperes in the bucket and use them to power your house for a few months
            I've had roasted Yams in Jamaica, but please don't lets have any Fried Yam Yams over here.
            [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Comment

Cant believe you would even think about taking the chance, speechless
              Let us all bag up

Comment

Don’t even try it mate- why take the risk?
                Find another stretch and forget about it.
                Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
                Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Originally posted by paul k View Post
                  Don’t even try it mate- why take the risk?
                  Find another stretch and forget about it.
                  Exactly and what have yams got to do with someone's life?
                  John

Comment

Originally posted by lambrettasx200 View Post
                    Exactly and what have yams got to do with someone's life?
                    Read my post again John, in case yow didn't know - "Yam Yam" is a colloquialism for a person from the Black Country.

Jokes, always fall flat when they have to be explained!!
                    Last edited by martin56; 11th May 2018, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I can remember 2 Anglers being electrocuted while fishing under Power lines in the early 80s
                      Reported in Angling press ,1 of them lost his life & the other lost his foot & suffered Terrible burns that left him
                      Scarred for life .
                      It was because of these inidents that signs were erected by the Water Boards & pegs within 25yds were not used in NFA matches.
                      Because of the actions taken @ that time thousands of accidents have been avoided @ countless lives Saved
                      I cant beleive that a Grown Man can even Think about Risking their life to catch a few Fish
                      As for others encouraging him ,well i can ony assume you must have the Brains of a Rockng Horse
                      For Christ sake my 2 year old Goldfish has more sense
                      Colin

Comment

Awwww, I feel like i have been told off by my teacher for having a bit of banter.
                        I think being from Sedgley he would have understood my humor tho

Comment

Rick it wasn't aimed @ your Tongue in cheek comment or Martins reference to Yams .
                          our sense of humour is very similar mate.
                          It was meant for the people that have genuinely encouraged him to fish there
                          Colin

Comment

No good trying to cheer me up now mate, thats it!!!!!!
                            Bet i dont do very well tomorrow now, feeling all upset n everything.

Excuse No1 at the ready

Comment

Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but hawb81 seems to seldom re engage once he's started a thread??

For example the "Tell me About Waggler Floats" Thread to mention just one!!

And of course this one!! and the "How Good are Sensas Poles??"

He's almost even brought some of us to fall out over some issues.

Maybe it's just he doesn't care for my Input.
                              Seems he likes to ask a question then enjoys the discourse between other members??
                              Last edited by martin56; 16th May 2018, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X