Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Tench rake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tench rake

Whats peoples thoughts on the length of rope required for use with the above for Ireland.
    As a general rule of thumb, 30 meters ample ?
    River anglers Go with the flow.

I Used to fish an old weedy farmers pond that was full of tench.

The distance isn't so much an issue, You want to be pulling weed off a silty bottom, 15-20 meters is ample the further you go the more weed you have to shift, both from the swim, and away from the peg. If you leave the weed near the peg it will attract every flying bug known to man.

Fishing over a raked bed you can do it almost straight away. When we started doing swims in the farmers pond we would do a couple the evening before, then we noticed without fail the swims were fizzing after about 30 mins. With that in mind we switched to raking the morning of the fish, Getting the tench going early then moving to silvers, then back to tench again at about 6pm. Tench don't seem to care much about the noise and soon notice a disturbed bottom and move onto it without a problem.

I'd just get a standard blue rope from toolstation or similar, work out how far you can chuck the rake without killing yourself and work with that.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p28845?table=no

Comment

Excellent advice cheers mate

Comment

No problem, Take plenty of caster and worm for hookbait. And drop in a nice bed of hemp with a few chopped prawns. Should get them fizzing and feeding for a good few hours if you are lucky.

Comment

I read an article years ago about weed cutting and they advised moving the dragged weed as far away from the water as possible. They found if it was left close to the waters edge e.g. on a sloping bank, as it decomposed it turned poisonous and natural rainfall washed it back into the water.
          MATRIX HALIFAX

Comment

Cheers, i think its a good idea to move it too, even iff to keep the area raked less visible to other prospective anglers escpecially if returning the next day or evening

Comment

Rick as TR said a Standard 30yd Rope is plenty mate if you can chuck the head of 2 rakes either Bound or welded together 20mtrs you will Be able to earn a Fortune ice clearing in the Winter lol
              Colin

Comment

You can make your own rake with some angle iron and long bolts. I can barely through mine 12 metres! It clears all the weed and turns the bottom over removing old swan mussel shells. Prebait with corn, hemp and dead maggots. Prebait a few swims on different lakes and rotate through them.

Comment

I can Just imagine my mate Rick Turning Purple / Sweating like a pig trying to chuck a double Rake 30mtrs
                  Rick I think you had better get some training in mate .
                  You would need to eat lots of Spinach & Have arms like Popeye to reach 20mtrs.
                  Until about 5 yrs ago I had permission to Fish a Private Lake that was full of Bream Tench Roach & Perch plus some Monstrous Eels
                  I used a 30mtr Rope but only ever managed 20mtrs a couple of times 16 was hard enough i always tied or secured the end to an unmovable object
                  As soon as the take or breaker hits the Water I let go of the rope to allow it to sink unchecked works for me Rick
                  Don't stretch yourself around 10 to 12 mtrs is usually enough
                  Wish this Bloody weather would change I'm starting to think I aint never gonna get back on the River .☹
                  Colin

Comment

Its all in the wrist action mate.
                    If I struggle the Mrs will definitely reach 30 meters.

Comment

No Rick you really do need a Rake 🙄
                      I can't see the Missus being too pleased @ being tied onto the end of a Rope & Launched 30mtrs through the air & Deposited in a Lake 😉😉
                      Colin

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rick b View Post
                          Its all in the wrist action mate.
                          If I struggle the Mrs will definitely reach 30 meters.
                          Google "Plastic Rakes that Sink in Water" .

There's a good variety & would be easier to chuck!!

Could add a bit of strategically placed weight to make sure it always lands prongs down!!
                          Last edited by martin56; 24th January 2018, 12:49 AM.
                          [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Comment

Could buy 2 & fasten them "Back to Back" with cable ties!! will then always be right way up/down!!
                            [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Comment

If you can't chuck a rake 15-20M then your rake is way too heavy.

Mine was a simple affair. Tube of steel about 18 inches long. Short section of the same tube welded to the centre of this to form a T about 3 inches long. The prongs were 4mm round bar, cut at 1 inch, and welded both sides of the tube angled towards the direction you pulled spaced at about 2 inches. One end had no prongs for about 4 inches. Steel insert bolted into the far end to give it some travel weight.

Throwing it was done like a welly throw. Hold the none pronged end and hoof it. None of this twirling it round on a rope hoping you don't have to visit A&E with a weed rake stuck in your calf. It would fly straight weight first most of the time.
                              Last edited by Iceni; 24th January 2018, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X