Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Cormorants Please Read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cormorants Please Read

Please read this from the Angling Trust if you want to see action against Cormorants https://www.anglingtrust.net/news.as...ws&itemid=5082

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

If the math is correct thats 62,000lbs of fish being lost to Cormorants every day.
    Unsustainable,I thought there was a cull of some sort carried out on their eggs Bri?

Comment

Yes I want to see action against the black plague, will I see it, I have strong doubts
      Is this yet again all talk, we've heard it all before.
      The Angling Trust rattle on about what we want to hear and do nothing. Reminds me of how our disgraceful political parties work. Promise the wold and give us nothing.
      I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
      He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

They are everywhere in numbers. Recently on the Trent, there was one continuously sweeping along the opposite bank. Was there when I arrived and was still there when I left. Have completed the survey with the hope of seeing any degree of a positive outcome.

Comment

Yes they need culling ,they have done for Approximately 30 yrs .nothing has been done
          I have completed the Survey ,but don't expect anything to come of it .
          Personally I think this Survey is Just a Diversionary tactic to take peoples minds away from the Mass Devastation taking place on Every Waterway in the UK
          The Otter
          Colin

Comment

The more information the AT can put together the stronger the case for getting something done,To say they do nothing is TBH,just wrong! we took over a fishery in Sheffield last year that had been badly effected by cormorants The Angling Trust sent a preditor management consultant to help us with the problem,went through several options with us also a EA representative came both privately shared the same view as us as to what we would like to do but cannot ,they gave us lots of options some we could do and some we could not we went for roping the venue off which worked great and did not affect the fishing we now have a thriving fishery which we will be putting more fish in shortly a great success,

Comment

First stocking.

Comment

Easy for the AT to advise on protecting Small land locked Fishery
                They have done Virtually nothing in the last 30yrs to protect the Natural waterways of this country
                Such as the Thames , Welland Trent Avon ,Severn & every other River they have Destroyed
                They continue to do nothing
                They now bring out a Survey ,to get Guidance from the Angler on the Bank as to what they want the AT to Do
                Did we not vote on the Close Season last year ? the general consensus was to Open the Rivers in line with the Stillwwaters
                nothing Changed remained the Same
                Now if that vote had been do we Bring the Rivers into line with Stillwater's or Return to a Blanket Close Season
                there would have been uproar & guess what the River Closed season would be No More
                Maybe it would allow Anglers to spend more time on the Bank instead of leaving them for @ least 6 months of the year to Mass invasion of Cormorants
                Also as I said before this is no more than a Diversionary plan to hide the Problem that will have massive repercussions for all our Rivers
                If they are not managed the Otter population will literally wipe out complete Waterways .
                Obviously The Angler that only fishes Pools & Commecials will know nothing or @ least very little of the Problem that is potentially the Biggest threat to our Sport
                in rue History of Angling
                ,We cannot ignore the Threat of the Otter
                Just because certain Administrators of the AT think they are Cute & Cuddly

Colin

Comment

Warden, glad to see you are making progress with your waters, I agree the roping off on a pool works as long as the pool is not too large, it stopped the bighters on my old club pool, along with a few carrier bags attached to them. Pity when they started to use bidegadable bags, they needed replacement more often. Glad to see AT and EA supporting you.

www.polefloatsbyjasonelwell.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Brian, we have 4 waters in all the two biggest Howbrook and Westwood are about 3 acres each and are over 100yds wide in places and up to 7M deep neither are commercials they are man made Reservoirs getting the ropes across was a task but where there's a will so to speak,.The AT man did cover Otters in his predation advice but was not needed for us as the nearest river is a fair way off with lots of busy roads to cross and many fields any would finish up as road kill if they tried to visit us I believe the RSPB have 1 million members £27 each the AT may not be perfect (neither are the RSPB ) but if all anglers gave the AT that kind of support (and realise they cannot do everything each angler wants)then we might see the kind of action we need. With £30/40 million we could employ someone just to walk up and down the bank with something that goes BANG cormorants are shy birds that scare easily
                    just a thought

Comment

A lot of clubs and fisheries don't help by not applying for a licence to shoot them. The more that apply, the more it shows the powers that be how much of a problem cormorants out to our waters

Comment

Laudable as it seems, helping the odd minor fishery is all well and good but what of the thousands of fisheries throughout the UK.
                        The Angling Trust and the Environment Agency both are toothless when it comes to dealing with issues that affect angling. I doubt it's their fault, they will probably blame anglers. If it is our fault why do they tout themselves has our only hope.
                        I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
                        He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

spot on in a lot of what you say Jethro, the scale of the problem is mind blowing I doubt they say its the anglers fault in those words (but it is)and frankly they are the only hope, cannot see any other's on the horizon and if the anglers don't back them with the resources they need then how are they going to succeed as for being toothless a lot of polluters have found otherwise having to pay big fines for their actions many fishery's have received help from the AT and the EA both financially and advice wise but this comes at a cost! the fisheries have to get off their backside and do something (sorry if I offend anyone)but it does annoy me when people just moan about them but will not back them in their actions, we should all be working together on this problems and that we starts with us.

Comment

Working...
                          X