Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Winning matches on low weight venues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning matches on low weight venues

So lads, i'm sure many of the forum members including myself fish matches on waters where the winning weights are between low 30lbs and low 60lbs. I have won a few matches on venues like these but i'm wondering if any of the wiser, more experienced match anglers have any tips or edges for success on low weight match venues like loxley.

cheers, fordy

Hi you say low weight
    40 -60 lbs winning weights on natural waters is good fishing in 5 hours in my opinion
    especially if there are 20 lbs plus back up weights
    Natural waters dont like the pressure that 30 -40 anglers can put on them especially the noise
    I allways make sure I prep the night before, mix groundbait, set the rods up do everything I can to minimise my movements on the bank when I get to my peg
    if you go well preped you are not stressin about things , ill sit on my box and look at the water nice and quite
    you would be amazed at the amount of banging and clattering guys around will make
    fish as fine as you can for the fish you know are in the venue
    get into a rythem and confidence grows and dont be afraid to go against what won last weeks Match
    very rare ill step away from traditional baits and simple methods no place for complicated rigs n baits in my bag
    I did pretty good last year on that ethos
    or I may just be talkin crap
    Phil

Comment

Loxley isn't a natural water though, that's the odd thing about it and the matches are six hours long but weights are always low. It's a very peggy water, one side of the lake might struggle to get 20lbs when the opposite side is getting weights of 40lbs+. Like anyone who fishes matches I have everything prepared beforehand for every eventuality. I just wonder if anyone does anything significantly different on low weight waters to what they would on baggin' waters other than feed less.

Comment

Whats the dominant method, are the winnig pegs on the prevailing wind
        is it a Bream venue as I think ive fished it a few time many years ago, reservoir if I remember, my Dads company had a refractory near by with a small man made pond in its grounds, the reservoir was above it
        when I say natural I mean not a mud hole
        Phil

Comment

Whats the dominant method, are the winnig pegs on the prevailing wind
          is it a Bream venue as I think ive fished it a few time many years ago, reservoir if I remember, my Dads company had a refractory near by with a small man made pond in its grounds, the reservoir was above it
          when I say natural I mean not a mud hole
          Phil

Comment

There are a few dominant methods because of the variety of species present. For the carp and barbel, feeder or bomb with meat or pellet scores well along with the pellet wag for carp in the summer and pole fished maggot, pellet and paste are also effective. For silvers maggot feeder, wag and mag, puller, bubble method and maggot fished shallow are all winning tactics. As for the water itself it's quite small with about forty well spaced pegs, it's a mill pond, commercial hybrid. You have to drive through some abandoned factories to get to the pond and the river loxley runs from dam flask alongside it.

Comment

Is it deep and what's the main target fish? Does it have a good head of carp? Andy Bennet came to our local pond once with his mate Wayne Kearny. We knew the place like the back off our hands and a normal winning weight was around 50lb. Andy won the match with 70 odd lb and his mate Wayne came second with 50odd lb. both fished different methods and they were both at opposite ends of the lake. There's no one match winning method it's more about mastering the method your best at and fish to your strengths. It was a fine display from from Mr Bennet and shows why he is where he is today

Comment

It's 3ft-5ft all over the lake. It has a good head of carp and barbel but if they're not in your peg you're unlikely to get them in so you have to target silvers. When I say this water is peggy, it's not peggy towards the same peg every week if that makes sense. One day you can catch 60lb off a peg and the next day it could be deserted and you're left to scrape together some silvers. It's usually fairly obvious from the start of the match which area of the lake the top three are going to come out of. I think it's got a lot of natural food in the way of bloodworm and muscles which is probably the main dictator of where they go, they do sometimes move according to the wind though and there's almost always at least a chop on the water.

Comment

Silty bottom?

Comment

Yes, but it's mostly firm silt.

Comment

Tried poped up bread for the carp over winter? Or feed maggots by hand short for silvers, don't be surprised if you get the odd carp too

Comment

Its the same pond bud I couldn't remember the reservoir above it
                        Dam Flask
                        it was choka with weed when we went
                        it sounds like the shoals roam it mate so you have lay a table to stop em in your swim as they come past
                        or move on from the guys who havnt put a bed down
                        it sounds as though its stocked well so they will have to feed at some point
                        Phil

Comment

Working...
                        X