Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Advise on Whips for Rivers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise on Whips for Rivers

First of all let me Explain my definition of a Whip is Generally Telescopic up to a Max of 5mtrs anything over additional Take Apart Sections to Approx 8mtrs
    No Elastic but ,Flick tips.
    Any longer I would call Pole to hand ( Irish) style Short piece of Strong Elastic or even Power Gum Floats from 1/2 gram through to 8 to 10gram
    What are you fellas using on the Severn @ Shrewsbury & Bewdley ??
    I used to have a 10mtr Telescopic pole Flick tip that Jan Porter gave me back in 1985 / Sadly I No longer have it as a few years later @ Twyford Farm Jan parked his Van on my Holdall ,
    Colin

I use 2 types,a line to hand Black Magic with either powergum or a beefy flicktip and a Daiwa ZR8 system whip which is a dedicated silver fish whip as it has a very soft cushioning flicktip.I found that some of the whips available are trying to be both margin poles and silver fish snatchers,you cant have both I think.I would like an additional 1m extension for my ZR8 though(I dont think one is available),sometimes I need to follow the fish around and during the day I`d be going from 6 to 8m.The extra section would save me setting up a pole.I highly recommend the ZR8 as a river whip.It comes with an additional top kit and I reckon a no6 is about as heavy as I`d go in it.I`d have it set up alongside the flicktip in case a bigger stamp turns up.

Comment

I have Maver stealth whips, four metre down to two metre. I like the cork handles as they feel more comfortable after a few hours.
      I have bought extra carbon fibre whips from china for next to nothing, they range from around 5 quid to 12 quid. the tips on these are hardly flick tips, I change them for solid flicks from a shop, I can't remember the name at the moment but will search it out. The flick tips are only 2.99 each and have made decent carbon whips for little cash.
      I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
      He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Hopkins and Holloway is the company that I get flick tips from, they have glass or carbon in various sizes Colin.
        I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
        He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Comment

Thanks For that Jethro Short Real whips from 1.5 up to 5mtrs tele with Flick tips I Have about 12 in total 8 original President whips with Hopkins & Holloway Solid carbon Flick tips got about 15 of them various thickness was Sponsored by them for a good few years with Aquarians .
          My other Whips are DAM tele Whips with take apart extensions .
          Its the more Brutal whips I am enquiring about so Caferacer's Info deals with what I need to find out
          Thank you for taking the time to Answer
          Col
          Caferacer I had thought of 11mtr Black Magic or a Similar Old pole Such as DAM futron oe Tectron etc or even the Old Shakespeare poles
          As you say most of the New Whips over 6 or 7 mtrs are really Margin Poles & way too powerful
          when I heard they were catching @ Hawkesbatch I automatically had Visions of Pole to Hand tactics ,couldn't imagine the Whip as I Describe being of much use
          So I had to raise the question
          Thank you for your valuable info & for reassuring me that I was thinking along the Right lines
          Thanks Guys
          Colin

Comment

Got a tourney whip I've used on the severn put 12 solid Preston through the top fishing 8-10m to hand I feel any lighter than maybe a 10 you'll struggle landing better fish

Comment

The Daiwa SR3 is a fantastic whip and ideal for the rivers.My buddy has one and loves it.This one on Gumtree looks pretty mint.
              https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-fish...ip./1200841197

Comment

cheers pal I will have a look
                Colin

Comment

Most use the Tournament, bit pricey if not using very often and they will often set 3 up!

Comment

I couldn't justify paying tournament prices Nathan.
                    May have done when I was Team Fishing &a lot more dedicated than I am these days
                    I Retired from Work in 2005 Due to Ill Health
                    ,As you know I started DJing a few years ago to subsidise the Savings (not old enough to receive pension yet.
                    Savings are disappearing quicker than I expected due to 3 kids & 15 Grand kids so DJ work has become Full time again
                    Getting ready to retire again soon, But wont be spending a Fortune on New Tackle
                    ive got a couple of 13mtr poles very slim that will be ideal
                    Colin

Comment

You need a whip to get ya on the bank, coming out over xmas?
                      River anglers Go with the flow.

Comment

Col, the best whip imho is the one I have used for years the Daiwa Tommy Pickering Conny whip that came out in the 90s I believe. It came as a 6m whip with 2 optional sections to take it to 8m. The guys who fish the Irish festivals luv em & they are capable of landing decent fish on the flick tip although I also have a laccied top 2 as well. I do remember catching a 4lb plus chub on a winter league on the Oxford Canal on the flick tip whilst fishing for roach on the punch & it handled it with ease. BUT they dont come cheap second hand but you will never loose money on them as they are a bit like Normarks as they seem to increase in value year on year
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by lambrettasx200 View Post
                          Col, the best whip imho is the one I have used for years the Daiwa Tommy Pickering Conny whip that came out in the 90s I believe. It came as a 6m whip with 2 optional sections to take it to 8m. The guys who fish the Irish festivals luv em & they are capable of landing decent fish on the flick tip although I also have a laccied top 2 as well. I do remember catching a 4lb plus chub on a winter league on the Oxford Canal on the flick tip whilst fishing for roach on the punch & it handled it with ease. BUT they dont come cheap second hand but you will never loose money on them as they are a bit like Normarks as they seem to increase in value year on year
                          Yup,they are the boyos.In fact,the Airity whip is heavier at 8m than the old Conny is at 8m.Those old Connys get serious money when they do pop up-which is rarely....

Comment

I used to have 1 of those years ago ,I cant remember what I did with it
                            ,I also had an Old Conny pole 12.5mtr with some tips for Ireland on venues such as Queen Elizabeth road & Cornograde that had about a foot of Power gum.
                            I now I still have a few poles that were set up for long line to hand style Fishing
                            Thank you to both of you for the last 2 posts I really appreciate your help
                            Although the Fish that I will be Targeting are a Smaller Stamp than the Irish Fish , the general tools are very much the same .
                            They just need Tweaking slightly
                            it seems that the more I am thinking about it ,the more I am realising that its nothing more than sorting through mountings of gear that is already there
                            I know feel I am ready to start looking @ FLOATS etc Patterns & Sizes etc because my Festival floats are way too heavy
                            Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Rick b View Post
                              You need a whip to get ya on the bank, coming out over xmas?
                              Sorry for late Reply Rick
                              I aint ignoring you mate , I really have been over doing it lately ,No time to do anything , I am intending to Try to go Somewhere Boxing Day ,then I am away till
                              NYE .then things are going to Change .Big Time !!
                              I am going to make plans again ,Practice Practice Practice , I am determined to put my Health issues on the Back Burner & Concentrate on things other than that & Music
                              You & Cal Have a Fantastic Christmas & New year
                              See you soon Buddy
                              Colin

Comment

Working...
                              X