Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Hemp fishing a forgoten art

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hemp fishing a forgoten art

Does anybody ever do any hemp fishing anymore, had some great evening summer sport on my local canal, Birmingham Fazeley at Bodymore Heath, sadly seems to be out of fashion.

Chap, its deadly on the grand union, has to be in the right hands though!

Personally I love it as you know when that float dips its gonna pull some elastic out! SO many times even in winter matches gone from well down the section to absolutely murdering it in the last half hour of a match but it is having the discipline to feed three grains regularly for at least three hours before fishing it puts most people off!
    Simon Young
    Admin
    Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
    web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Originally posted by polemaster
      Does anybody ever do any hemp fishing anymore, had some great evening summer sport on my local canal, Birmingham Fazeley at Bodymore Heath, sadly seems to be out of fashion.

try telling that to the likes of Nigel Bull (Shakespeare) and Fred Cheetam(Eclipse) who still win money on a regular basis on the black stuff.

In the right hands on the right venues it is as deadly as its ever been.

Comment

i agree with you Woodhouse, still used by match anglers but i bet there's not many go out for a pleasure session with a bag of seed and maybe a few tares only in there bag.

Comment

Other than pushing the hook bend into the split in the seed, does anybody have any other methods of keeping the hemp on, especially in a flow
          It was Terry Mooney who always told me to never lie and tell the truth about how much I've caught and what on.

Comment

Surprisingly enough i walk the canal nearly every day and quite often watch a couple of lads and they fish with hemp,tares and WHEAT more often than not,always seem to catch a few as well.

Comment

Dead right there Lee anything that only costs pennies per trip the Tipton lads will use it, and some of them do know how to use it to great effect.

Comment

I know Frank, i travel with Ernie thomas and last year i threatened to ban it because he kept battering me...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Boris
                  Other than pushing the hook bend into the split in the seed, does anybody have any other methods of keeping the hemp on, especially in a flow
                  Get hold of some very small eyed hooks, then cut the bend off the hook so you are left with a straight hook shank with an eye on it - now put this eye onto the hook you are fishing with on your rig so you now have a hook with a little straight piece of wire hanging from the bend - you can now use this to spear into the blunt part of the hemp seed - ideal for bagging on the hemp!
                  Simon Young
                  Admin
                  Talk Angling UK fishing chat and tackle
                  web design Doncaster - Limitless Digital

Comment

Won a match this season using hemp and tares on the River Tame in Tamworth, had 24lb 8oz, once they are on the bait they get hooked on it (forgive the pun).

Used to fish on the canals around Aston, and the hemp was dealy for the roach, feed little and often and fish another line whilst the hemp line is developing, every half hour or so have a look at it, once that float dips then it is bag up time.

As for hooking the bait, I use giant hemp, just give it a squeeze and it opens up ready to clamp onto the bend of the hook with the point showing, this will stay on until a fish removes it, and this is on fairly fast slowing water as well.

Comment

Thanks Bluenose and Simon. Simon do you just force the eye over the barb to keep it on the hook
                      Boris
                      It was Terry Mooney who always told me to never lie and tell the truth about how much I've caught and what on.

Comment

hemp gets fished hell of alot on comercials now with it being fished with paste
                        sensas /total angling

Comment

Boris i find the best way of hooking hemp is to set it up on 'pins' . Get three or four old pole floats with fine wire stems (important so hemp stays on the hook allowing you to catch more than one fish on a grain). Thread the hemp onto the stem by piercing the part of the seed at the top (that is joined to the stalk) and bringing the stem out through the split. You can normally fit about fifteen to twenty grains on a pin.

Comment

just started fishing the hemp this summer really regluarly, fished it before over the past couple of years but this year ive aimed alot of my fishing at getting this hemp fishing sorted, found the best way to hook the hemp is to get a pole float and punch a hole though the end of the hemp then u can hook the hemp propably, most roach ive had on 1 piece of hemp is about 6-7 roach

Comment

Fished hemp and caster on the Trent last weekend in a match, had a lovely net of silvers, the Roach were really on it until a bloody Pike came along and killed the swim.

Comment

Working...
                              X