Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

does class tell

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does class tell

what makes some anglers stand out from the rest.
    is it knowledge of the venue,rig set up,shotting patterns, line diameter.
    or is it feeding.one of the anglers who fishes our matches fishes 9lb straight through 12 hook single or double
    sweet corn,sits there for up to 3 hours without a bite then all hell breaks through, he starts to catch lumps
    he invariably wins or frames. so is it patience or being a draw bag. the mind boggles.

Define Class !!
    There are some Amazing Anglers in all Genres of Angling .
    The Commercial Anglers Range from Venue Experts ,those that Fish nowhere else , Not Class ,but Consistent.
    Then there are some that constantly Fish the Big money Matches on Commercials .There are lots of Anglers in this group that can rightly claim to be Class . the list grows every year
    But Guys like Steve Ringer ,Andy Power, Will Raison , Jamie Hughes , Plus many more we have without a doubt the Best in the World
    Natural venues the Quality of Anglers is Amazing on Canals < Drains , Rivers ,Mark Pollard Mark & Paul Downes, Paul Turner , Dave Harrell , Wayne Swinscoe the best running water Angler on the planet IM.O
    Then the World Stage Every Angler that has won anything Bob Nudd ,Alan Scotthorne plus all our other World Champions
    What makes them Stand out that's Simple & Nothing you have mentioned
    Dedication, Hard Work , Practice ,the Ability to learn, Never thinking you are too good to ask questions even from the most unlikely source
    Preparation Consistency & Confidence & the will to win
    Dedication / Preparation/ Confidence & access to the Best Bait & Tackle wont be enough .
    If you Don't have your fair Share of LUCK
    Colin

Comment

Yes to all...but the draw helps

Comment

Originally posted by fishingfreek View Post
        or is it feeding.one of the anglers who fishes our matches fishes 9lb straight through 12 hook single or double
        sweet corn,sits there for up to 3 hours without a bite then all hell breaks through, he starts to catch lumps
        he invariably wins or frames. so is it patience or being a draw bag. the mind boggles.
        I think most importantly knowing the venues and having time to practice. Along with this the peg you draw on a match makes a big difference. Not blowing my own trumpet I have beat some quality anglers on matches but having said that I was on a better peg than them.

Comment

knowledge of the venue is in my opinion the most important thing,What bait catches presentation etc all comes under this either directly or indirectly plus of course a good draw.lol

Comment

The anglers that seem to stand out from the crowd seem to put "thinking about angling" to a higher level.
            I recently watched a 8 minute video featuring Andy Bennet talking about pole pots and the different lids.
            You would think how much is there to know about this subject but it was a real eye opener for me into just how much thought goes into a top anglers thinking on everything.
            There are various articles and you tube videos you can watch to just get an insight into the level that these anglers are at and the hard work they put in.
            You do also need some of the things other posters have said as well.

Comment

All of the above and the most important one IMO. The ability to adapt and change your approach to the water you are fishing. Most waters change in mood during a match and the anglers that do well are the ones that spot that change and adapt the quickest.
              On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Dave i have given you a like as i forgot that bit
                It's something that many of us do naturally ,without thinking
                Even if i am catching steadily i will try to step my catch rate up a notch
                or bring them closer even move them down Stream so i can catch quicker or sort better stamp of fish
                i generally try things for a set time 10 mins
                If No change back to what i was dong for 10 mins the go opposite way
                Well spotted Super Star
                Colin

Comment

I think some people just naturally are just better than average then you apply
                  perserverance, hard work, and dedication and they just become consistent that breeds confidence and then it just grows and grows....then it all combines to create a formidable angler....now here is the controversy angling is a very selfish sport you have to be so focused to be at the very top imo....I for one am happy to be average with ability to be a overachiever at times...I plan in maybe 7-10 years to really push my self and try to get to the next level....but not lose sight of what is important....????
                  " if a dogs born in a stable, does it make it a horse? Aye up ducky!!

Comment

Originally posted by fishingfreek View Post
                    I may not be qualified to answer because I dont match fish on commies but it seems the lad you describe is fishing slightly on the heavy side?
                    A thought would be hes not spooking fish as hes not pulling out small f1s and silvers every five minutes or so because hes missing small bites or ignoring them till
                    he sees a positive enough bite to strike,this may result in larger fish entering his swim with the confidence they need to feed,
                    hence all hell breaks loose in the swim late on because he has given the bigger fish just that.

Comment

thanks for all your replies. I its a pleasure to be part of this forum anglers are very willing to share
                      there ideas and opinions great site thanks.

Comment

My take on this is you have venue experts and then you have the cream so whatever the venue or the method they rise to the top. I guess with modern day anglers Des Shipp fills that bill.But way back in my day Stevie G was the one
                        John

Comment

Working...
                        X