Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

bait boat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bait boat

Good day all, at the "BIG ONE" show i bought one of those Stealth Bait Boats, (as pictured in the Anglers Mail recently at £149.99, i did not pay this amount though). It is small, and has no underwater rudder, it is propelled by a pair of overhead propellors side by side, direction left or right is obtained by decreasing the propellor revolutions of any one prop!! increasing the revs to same prop equalises it with the other and aligns the boat for straight ahead, or supposed too! and that is the crux!! it does'nt!! logic says that putting the lever in the ahead position would achieve this automatically, would'nt you say? but it has a mind of its own, its not gone from the bank more than arms length as it goes round in small circles! this is because it is proving very difficult to syncronise the propellor revolutions equally. operations are done by a basic remote control unit, one lever operates the bait release tail gate, and the other lever operates direction, left, ahead, right, there does'nt appear to be much refinement in the operations.

As Bait Boats go it is not expensive to buy if it works, but a lot of money if it does'nt? so i was wondering if anybody else has bought one or you know of someone who has? and is experiencing any problems with it like i am. Of course it may be a faulty product? or i need a lot more practice? or it is a common anomaly with all Bait Boats? sincerely, Tony W.

Just use it for margin fishing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

[QUOTE=aardvark;259563] it goes round in small circles!

Or use it to protect your floater from ducks.
      On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Comment

Are they any trim tabs on the remote control?

Are you sure both props are spinning, and spinning the same direction?
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Tony your not supposed to sit on it you plonker lol
          John

Comment

150 quid!!!!!. I've just come back to fishing after about 20 years so new to things. No way would I spend that. Make one. Radio gear is cheap, just needs a bit of thought. I've a model helicopter, it might get pushed into service.

Comment

£125 is bargain basement for bait boats!
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

That's the trouble, ALL hobbies rip us off if we're not careful. That heli' only cost £50, but it's not really practical. Sure I can come up with something a lot less than £125. Brand new radio gear, 2/3 channel £30-£40. Mustaffer Look.

Comment

Fair play, you can always make something yourself for less if you have the know how and equipment.

Trouble is, many don't, so have to buy retail, so a hole in the market is born.

When companies design an build products to fill this hole, the design and type approval costs are massive, especially with anything that plugs in. That cost goes into the retail price.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hi aardvark
                    Make sure both motors are working exactly the same, if one motor isn't turning as fast as the other that's could be the problem.

The way twin motors work is you push the left toggle forward and both motors should turn both at the same time at the same speed, and say you want to go left, you push the right toggle left and the power stops the left motor and turns left with the right motor and vice versa.

I have been building rc electric, Nitro and gas boats for years and I have experienced in the same problems many times.

I built a 4ft electric boat about 4 years ago took me 2 months to build with really powerful and expensive motors, took it to my local pond and one motor was playing up so I tried it, all it kept doing was going round in circles and couldn't get it back, it went out about 30ft and a swan jumped on it and sunk it.
                    [COLOR=Black] [IMG]http://www.virtuallandmedia.com/a5/14/wr_b.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][COLOR=Black][IMG]http://www.virtuallandmedia.com/a5/14/wr_r.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://www.virtuallandmedia.com/a5/14/wr_y.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][URL="http://www.baplastering.co.uk"]
                    [/URL]

Comment

Hi Plaster, you have got the gist of things im talking about, a more serious reply i might add!! your right, the prob is the different speeds of the props, i soon realised that should i let it get too far away, retrieving it may be difficult; your own experience confirms my thoughts. the sales pitch was this that the boat had had trials with carp anglers and had been given favourable reports?? that statement should come under scrutiny!! but i have nothing in writing, the operating instructions are very basic, virtually non existant. so it looks as if i have bought a pig in a poke!. i shall persevere with it for a while just in case its me. sincerely, Tony.

Comment

Hi Luke, both props are spinng but at different speeds only slightly, but it makes the difference, i shall have to investigate the trim tabs?? Tony.

Comment

Trib tabs are usually a slider on the handset, but perhaps in your case it might be done via pots, that are possibly in the handset or maybe even on the electronic speed controllers for the motors.

Either way you will probably have to start splitting it, if this invalidates the warranty, or there is nothing in the user guide to troubleshoot the problem I would ring them up and look for a refund/replacement.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Yes I appreciate the hidden costs. That's one idea of these forums isn't it, to pass on your knowledge to those who want to but for now don't have the knowledge.

This is very much the case in my other hobby, radio. A lot of people design as well as build. I build using others designs, modifying if required.

My old dad used to say if you can read the plans you can do the job.

I know it's not everyones cup of tea, but to me it's part & parcel of my approach to a hobby.

Comment

now that you mention it my controller may have trim tabs! i shall check it out, Tony.

Comment

Working...
                              X