Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

How to fish Floating, diving lures??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fish Floating, diving lures??

ive got a couple of floating, diving lures,
    im finding them quite hard to fish because the dive on reel in (i havent fished long) does anyone know the best way to fish that kind of lure.
    thanks
    ed

Diving lures have a maximum depth that they will dive to. If they have a long vane on the front, then they are a deep diver up to 10 feet and more. If they have a short vane, they are a shallow diver to a max of 4 feet normally. You can crank them quickly to their working depth and then wind a steady retreive, holding your rod parallell to the water to keep them at that depth. You can also vary the speed of the retrieve, using ocasional short fast turns and then stop to let the lure float back up a little, then crank it down again etc. You can also use short jerks of the rod to impart more action on the lure as you crank it in.

Hope this helps a bit
    Phil
    [I][url]www.aquonix.co.uk[/url]

Comment

Invest in a cheap multiplier, pull the lure to dive with the rod, return the rod towards the water while backwinding.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Where are you fishing eb - as Fishfarmer states there are different vanes - you need to ensure those you have are 'suitable' for your venue
        Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

Might also pay to watch/go along with a competent venue 'expert' till you are confortable 'handling/unhooking' any species you may be fortunate to hook and land
          Even when I draw a half decent peg fate conspires against me...............:(

Comment

Originally posted by fish farmer View Post
            Diving lures have a maximum depth that they will dive to. If they have a long vane on the front, then they are a deep diver up to 10 feet and more. If they have a short vane, they are a shallow diver to a max of 4 feet normally. You can crank them quickly to their working depth and then wind a steady retreive, holding your rod parallell to the water to keep them at that depth. You can also vary the speed of the retrieve, using ocasional short fast turns and then stop to let the lure float back up a little, then crank it down again etc. You can also use short jerks of the rod to impart more action on the lure as you crank it in.

Hope this helps a bit
            Phil
            To add to that Phil, If the vane is at a shallow angle it will dive deeper, larger angle the shallower the lure will dive in conjustion with what phil said.

To make the lure run a bit shallower, keep the rod tip high, just drop the rod a little to strike
            Cheap multipliers are good, but wont last you long (from experiance) but are great to learn with. A silvermax combo is around 75 quid for reel and rod. fit it with 50lb braid (power pro is my favourite). The reel wont last you more than a year though (my experiance). The reason they are used for lure fishing is they have much more winding power than fixed spools so will be no effort winding in your lure, Also have more cast control with practice you can land inches from your target even on bad casts.
            Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
            Perch-3lb
            Tench-5 1/2lb
            Carp-15lb
            Barbel-10 1/2lb
            Chub 5 1/4lb
            Roach 1 1/2lb
            Rudd 2lb
            Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Working...