Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

new to specimen fishing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to specimen fishing

hi all

im thinking of starting of doing a bit of specimen fishing and got some stuff together to do it all i need now is somewhere where i can night fish and catch big fish.??? any advice to help me around the west midlands??

cheers
    DanHops

you cant just expect to turn up somewhere and catch the monster of your dreams...but what species are you planning on targeting and we might be able to offer more help
    Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
    Perch-3lb
    Tench-5 1/2lb
    Carp-15lb
    Barbel-10 1/2lb
    Chub 5 1/4lb
    Roach 1 1/2lb
    Rudd 2lb
    Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

well i would like to get into carp and catfishing...always wanted to do it now iv got the tackle dont know where to start.
      DanHops

Comment

Not sure about night fishing, but I think Shatterford have Catfish

Comment

start with megga gudgeon dan! and work up!

Comment

Unoficially, Edgebaston,Lifford,Salford and the likes all hold carp over 20,but you need to be aware they are not the safest of places to be alone at night,Shatterford as far as i know still holds some humpty big cats and a reasonable head of carp and a few sturgeon to boot, its not cheap(work on over £1.00 per hour of your visit) and of a weekend in the summer the lakes look like a cats cradle with all the lines.
            Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

lol andy had a look at shatterford looks a nice place.
              DanHops

Comment

Start by targeting one particular speci then go to a water, any water and catch above the lake average on a more regular basis.
                work up from there, the little ones so to speak will give you the exp needed to find out those Big fish every pool has one of diff sizes remember.

practise improving your Pb's rather than that life time fish now.

just my opinion best of luck with it all mate.

ive had my life time canal pike @22lb 12oz already simply piking on a basic level spinning. it will happen when it happens!
                [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
                Speci Carper

Comment

Another alternative would be to become a member of the CCG,and join the syndicate at Adams pool at Alcester, carp over 20 and cats 30+ for information contact two catz on here,he runs the membership,not classed as EASY but but its not huge and duanting like some.

Comment

cheers lads il look into that hurricane cheers
                    DanHops

Comment

Peter, I might try for cats this year once or twice. would a 2.75lb TC Carp rod with a shimano aero5000 spooled with 50lb braid be a suitable setup? The reel is suitable for cats (or says so in the manual)
                      Personal Bests

Pike-23lb
                      Perch-3lb
                      Tench-5 1/2lb
                      Carp-15lb
                      Barbel-10 1/2lb
                      Chub 5 1/4lb
                      Roach 1 1/2lb
                      Rudd 2lb
                      Bream 6 1/2lb

Comment

Plenty of cats get caught on standard carp gear every year,but 2 3/4lb is the lowest i would go(but if its not ovrely snaggy you will be fine),the reels will do the job,I use 25lb sensor because i only use braid for lure fishing or driter/suspended baits and many fisheries don"t allow it,but if allowed a lot of the lads go for65lb but 50 will be no problem,so basicaly mate yes you have all the basics you need.

Comment

Dan there is a nice stretch of canal in netherton, just the back of the resevoir there are some big pike in there, If you look on the towpath you will see the remains of some of them
                          Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
                          If you havnt got a good partner.
                          Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

Originally posted by Rive t View Post
                            Dan there is a nice stretch of canal in netherton, just the back of the resevoir there are some big pike in there, If you look on the towpath you will see the remains of some of them
                            They have been removed,got an offer for them so I sold them to a pub in West brom,he said he would bung the remains in his curry, he said he gets a few numptys on a Wed night that would not know the difference.
                            Last edited by hurricane; 26th January 2011, 06:01 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
                              they have been removed,got an offer for them so i sold them to a pub in west brom,he said he would bung the remains in his curry, he said he gets a few numptys on a wed night that would not know the difference.
                              pmsl.
                              Last edited by hurricane; 26th January 2011, 06:02 PM. Reason: typo
                              Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
                              If you havnt got a good partner.
                              Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

Working...
                              X