Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Bitter sweet big pike catch. Here is how it went down.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitter sweet big pike catch. Here is how it went down.

Hi all i was on the Congerstone stretch of canal(nr mkt Bosworth) at bridge 53, 200 yrds up spinning for perch.

when after an hour of changing lures etc i decided to try for a few pikey spots so walking down the 200 yrd stretch i came to a 30 yard patch of leaf covered water bank to bank so i cast into the edge of it for the last cast of the sesh.....

Well i let the spinner settle with a small tug i started the retrieve only to hit into what i thought was debris or fallen branch. So on my maver black ice 2 with a browning sytec reel 6LB main line which (was an AT give away) and a 15lb wire trace and a simple brass spoon single hooked spinner, i pulled steady to retrieve this heavy lump without cracking off my light setup.

well i got this lump into the middle of the canal only for it to rise up to being a very decent large pike! at a gasp my first thought was how am i going to land this lol.
    It saw me and it kicked off its escape attempt, i was in shock of what id hooked into on light tackle so gave it all my gear would give it. far out performed by the size and sport of the pike.

seemingly ages went by while waiting for it to tire and i took 4 attempts to land it for it to take off again i soon managed to get it half into a small landing net id chosen to take perfect for jack pike or perch.

On the scales it was 22lb 12oz and a right monster ive not stopped grinning about it

The bitter thing is no camera only my partner as a witness to its beauty and size.

As you may agree i under-estimated what the water would produce, how lucky was i!

Needless to say the pike was delt with quickly and supported untill it got its breath back what a beauty and i cant wait for the next +20 pike and while spinning on light tackle!

One thing for sure i will go with much more suitable tackle from now on.

im now set on landing it again so im going once a week to the same spot and im going spinning and dead baiting to see if it will grace my net again. A picture will be taken without a doutb.
    Last edited by Tarks; 6th November 2010, 12:46 PM.
    [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
    Speci Carper

Well done,tarks! That's a big pike from a canal,mate ;-)
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?

Comment

Hell yeah! untill i saw it i was in full belief it was debris, im blown away and i feel humbled to of had it. i dont think ill see it again but im going to try for it.

does anyone know if a particular large pike has lares or regular haunts to target it? as id love to have it once more.

im already thinking ill not see it again.
      [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
      Speci Carper

Comment

Well done on your fish mate,big pike can often be caught a few times in the same area,but will move if they encounter too much pressure,lots of features will"hold" a big pike and some of these can be quite insignificant but as with all predators the main attraction will be food,when you try again mate,up the stakes a bit on the tackle front,6lb line aint up to the job,and you can"t have a net thats too big,only one thats too small,and you should never go without a camera,hope to see a pic in the near future.Regards Peter.
        Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

I hope the next time you catch it, you will hit it over the head and throw it up the bank, or better still take it to an old age pensioners home so that they can eat it.
          Can you imagine how many roach a vermin fish like that can eat.
          Team Mosella Black Country

Sex is like Poker.
          If you havnt got a good partner.
          Then you better have a good Hand

Comment

And cue peter........
            Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
            Alwight tweacle?

Comment

With all this pikey action, I think the hogbuster is coming out for a couple of hours this afternoon down my local park.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

Originally posted by Rive t View Post
                I hope the next time you catch it, you will hit it over the head and throw it up the bank, or better still take it to an old age pensioners home so that they can eat it.
                Sad

Comment

Originally posted by Rive t View Post
                  lol

Do I bite? Excuse the pun.....
                  [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v194/rover220coupeturbo/ta3.jpg[/IMG]

Effort = Success

Comment

Shut up Rive T!!!!! Your comments like that have no place here mate. i along with millions enjoy pike angling and see a significant justification for pike in a water.

(yes in large numbers "JACK" pike can be a pain and even eat into a stock a little but id never kill a +20s pike not now not ever.

NO reply needed or wanted Rite T thanks.
                    Speci Carper

Comment

hi Peter,

yes as i mention i fished well under what was ideal for the fish a lucky land it was. I now setup with 20lb braid main a min of 15lb wire trace and spin with a 2lb test rod oh and always take my 42" landing net.
                      since reading on here ive decided to flaten all my barbed hooks too (ill still buy barbed and flatten them as i believe its going to hold just a little better than barbless but shouldnt do the damage barbs can.

after all i proved the unexpected does happen lol.

fish care is paramount after all.

i never thought for a minute id land or even hook into anything over 12lb it was a delight to have it and see it swim off after recovery.

(people making comments like Rive T 's are Sad and dissapointing, regardless of our personal opinions pike have a place in our waters. I could understand if id caught a Zander as they dont really have a place never should have their not native afetr all, Thats reason enough in my mind. You cant get a more britsh preditor fish than a pike can you?).
                      Last edited by Tarks; 8th November 2010, 12:08 PM.
                      Speci Carper

Comment

why cant people have opinions without being personaly attacked.....hope they were barbless hooks on that spinner
                        In darkness we do what we can
                        In daylight we're oblivion

Comment

Flattened barbed tbh. i feel more confident with them i lost alot with barbless but didnt like to use open barb. i personally feel closed barbed have a better hold without fish damage
                          Speci Carper

Comment

I was always a flattened barb fan, but late this year I switched to barbless for paste/carp, and didn't see any difference at all in bumped fish.

My lure gear is out again now before it gets icelandic, but the lures could all do with new hooks, and I think I'll fit barbless. trouble with big barbs on big trebbles is they can still pick up, even when 'flattened'.

What pattern did you get the canal lump on out of interest?
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

well said mr rive its high time these murdering fish were taken out of our water ways to preserve our fish stocks ,
                              I want an end peg

Comment

Working...
                              X