Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

PVA Mesh

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVA Mesh

I have bought some pva mesh to use on my local runs water.

I am new to it and was after some guidance on what size i should make them

I have some 3mm pellets i will be using

what type/ size of mesh have you purchased? Stick to making balls not sticks that should provide you with a perfect amount around your hooked bait when disolved on the bed.

hope this helps

Tight lines.
    [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
    Speci Carper

Comment

cheers - i have gone with the korda stuff - next size up from the boilie size one what ever that is - cant rememeber off the top of my head

Comment

I used a toss pot as a measuring device, filled a small tosspot with 4mm pellets, poured into the tub, squashed it all down and tied a knot it the top, repeated until 6m of mesh had gone.

Comment

yes mate stick with making a ball out of the mesh to get it tight over hand loop knot and hold the mesh tight to the ball then pull the knot down to the ball this with practise will give you tight formed round balls.

Remember to tie a new knot and cut the mesh in between so you are ready for the next ball/stick you make.

If you use wet particles add salt and the pva wont melt untill its in the water
          also if you hair your bait make a mix mesh ball then use your baiting needle through the mesh to a chosen bait and hair it in the bag, then your bag is tight around your bait when it desloves looking like a neat pile of feed not many fish will rumble the hook before its had at least a chance to set .

Tight lines.

let us know how you get on.
          Last edited by Tarks; 16th June 2010, 10:06 PM.
          [IMG]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/tarks/fledger.jpg[/IMG]Fledger....... Here'.. fishy fishy fishy..:
          Speci Carper

Comment

how long does PVA take to dissolve?
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Half man, half Octoplus, half bean wannabe test pilot.

Comment

cheers Stan and Tarks

Comment

depends on temperature usually 10 seconds ish give or take.
                Speci Carper

Comment

I might try them on the pole, can't be fussed with cups. I'd dip the bag in and let it dissolve to spread the bait a bit, then lower the hookbait. Any good links for ready made bags that will take hemp?.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

using mesh in that way is throwing your money away imo the point of mesh is to make a neat pile of tempting bait on the bed with your hooked bait consealed/masked perfect to fool a fishy to suck up the particles and take a hooked bait within. allowing the mesh to disolve on the top or up in the water willl imo be little diff than stodgy mix fired with a catty.

any pva product will take hemp as long as you add a little salt into the mix desolved this stops the pva desolving almost entirely until it hits the pond mate.
                    Speci Carper

Comment

Cheers, I see your point about the money side, but if you only used a bag every 2nd chuck, it's not that much dosh. I always fish bigger baits, si it won't be that often. My idea was to get some feed into a tighter area than with a catty, but without faffing with a pot.

I'm a bit crap with a catty, hemp can end up anywhere, and usually nowhere near where I want it.
                      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

add a little ground bait or bread crumb to bind the hemp you may find it holds better in a ball on the fling from a catty. Or use a catty with a deeper pocket it can help hold your bait tighter in flight. by my own exp anyway.

bare in mind when cupping in your alarting the fishes that dinner is served, a pva bag will help get the feed through the layers of small fish to the bed but you lose that popping in sound that the fish learn to come to. pros and cons but i feel more cons personally.

if your pleasure angling and targeting big fish in the margins then i can see a point.

Tight Lines.
                        Last edited by Tarks; 18th June 2010, 12:11 AM.
                        Speci Carper

Comment

If it was in the margins I wouldn't have the problem. Last night I was fishing at 11m, and fished over a bed of hemp and casters that spread out to say an area of 2 x 2 metres after a few shots with the catty. This is great for getting the fish interested, but I wanted to concentrate loose offerings of hookbait into a tighter area, and I cant do this with a catapult....they just end up spread over the same 2x2m metre area, usually wider.

I tried a ball of groundbait moulded round the hookbait with smaller hookbaits in it, but the ball had to be so ight to stay on for shipping out it took ages to break up.

I'll try some cheap bags off ebay, and dry the bait up with groundbait.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

pva micro mesh bags on the hook then over your 2by2 baited area.

as long as you place your hook on the mesh side and not on the knot of the mesh it will desolve fast and ping free of the hook leaving a tight bait under your hook to entise.

The issue is you will have to keep your pole very still or have a suited rig setup that holds your position or its pointless and will actually make fish shy from your hooked bait munching on that nice pile first. over depth with an anchor shot may be the way to go. all depending on the target fish i guess.

Other more exp anglers here may be able to either back up my advice or tell you better.

Tight lines.
                            Speci Carper

Comment

I'm not after a direct pile around the hookbait, just a tighter spread of loose offering in a specific area.
                              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X