Announcement

Collapse

Not logged in, registered users

If you are fed up with seeing lots of adverts on Talk Angling, the way to get rid of them is REGISTER HERE as a member and then 95% of the adverts on the site will go away!
See more
See less

Extremely Weedy lake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extremely Weedy lake

hi All,

hope this is the right section?

am after a bit of advice about fishing a small lake with a lot, and I mean a lot of surface weed, I can also see in the clearer water that the weeds tend to stretch from the bed of the lake to the surface.

The weed is almost a thick Algae, as it is usually an un-fished lake it has been left, but there are some sizeable fish in there I would like to target.

Just a bit worried about casting in and just tangling my rigs up, would a floating rig with pop-up be best?

And the last question is, if there is a way to fish this lake, how would you handle catching the fish once hooked? As I imagine it will dive to the depths of weed for all its worth.

any advice welcome!!

Cheers

James
    Regaining my love for fishing is like my love for my cars...expensive!!

James

PS: Clear sections are few and far between, and in those clear sections the weed comes up from the lake bed and stops around half a foot shy of the surface, this only appears to happen in poor light areas, but are not very many of them!

James

Comment

First thoughts would be either a bait on the surface with strong tackle and hit and hold,or if its feasable and allowed,rake out a couple of swims,prebait and then fish a bottom bait or a pop up but again it will be a hit & hold job.have you tried dragging a lead through it to see how difficult it is to move? Regards Peter.
      Take nothing but photographs,leave nothing but footprints.

Comment

Hi Peter,

No not as yet, its a new location to me and i was fishing a clear lake a few hundred metres downt eh track all day, came about this lake as i went for a wonder, i was told it was there but thought nothing of it when setting up yesterday morning

The guy that owns the farm was talking about dragging a rope across the top to clear it, which would solve one problem but not the underwater weed

Im also not keen on pushing him to do this as the lakes arent fished by anyone else, only me and my mate, and its FREE, so cant complain to much :P

Been using the strike and hold method in the other lake as theres a massive tree the blighters kept burying themselves in

will take some rope and a stick or something and dredge a swim out and give it a go, the fish from what i saw where cruising all over the place and not on a specific course

Thanks for the advice

James
        Last edited by hurricane; 17th May 2010, 05:48 PM.

James

Comment

Haha blighters, i jsut automatically adopted a southern farmers accent for that, and for some reason said it aloud in the office :S

thanks for the edit

James

James

Comment

Working...
          X