PDA

View Full Version : First Time Piking

Josh1337
2nd January 2011, 04:00 PM
Went Piking first time today, wanted to ask a few questions here for next time..

I have spinners and a couple of lures.

Spinners; Not heavy but i see how they operate in the water.. I reel in and i find that they come up? is there anyway i can keep them down? ie - Lure > Trace > Bead > Ledger?

Lures; I used my lure firstly and i found that they work pretty awesome and if i was a pike i would definatly go as it looks like a mangled fish in the water lol..

It floats but when i reel in i find that it goes down because of the spade lip.. how should i operate these?

Also; casting how far can you cast out to be able to locate/find a pike, question is spinners, light atm so im able to cast them about 15-20 yards..

Thanks again,

Any tips will appriciated :)

Josh

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 04:15 PM
Hi Josh, you can use things called downriggers that clip inbetween the mainline and the wire trace its basically a bottom heavy weight this help you get a light spinner or lure down deeper. downriggers also help stop line twist from repetitive spinning. Although downriggers are mainly used in trolling in boats to keep a lure down at a certain depth. On canals etc you should only need a very light Downrigger, a slower retrieve sometimes is all that is needed.

lures that float are supposed to dive on the retrieve so you cast out take the slack up and wind for say 3-5 second and then wait for it to surface once more repeat untill its ready for another cast.

Different lures have a change in the spade lip as you say the lower the lip the deeper this lure will dive some lures are even adjustable.

pike can be picked up anywhere in the water you can cast but your best bet is to look for features the pike may well be as they will strike at something close to their nose,
on a good day as long as its somewhere near a pike it will charge and have a go. Ssometimes however it will simply stalk it right to the bank this i Personally think is because the retrieve may of been to smooth so mix up the tecnique and cover as much water as you can

Hope thiis helps best of luck on your next trip.

Josh1337
2nd January 2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks Tarks for a very intrested post!

I will have to get me some 'Downriggers' - how much are these usually? and how light is light? can you use a downrigger on a lure?

Thanks again!

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 04:41 PM
yes you can use downriggers with lures they do tend to dive quite quickly and rise very very slowly though makes the lure on a canal and such a little long winded its shouldnt really be nessesary imo.

On a big water try it on a big cast of up to 40/50 years with depths of over 8-10ft. Id use one for a bit of extra depth search, but id buy a few small ones and use as small as i can get.

of 15 gramme or a tad more buy a few as diff lures will have more buoyancy so may need a heavier downrigger if the spade lip is a shallow fixed type.

Josh1337
2nd January 2011, 04:44 PM
Can you buy these from any tackle shop?

Also - Would a 'downrigger' be nessacery in a canal to be used with a lure/spinner as i am looking to catch my first pike @ Essington & Wyrley canal

luke carpstalker
2nd January 2011, 04:49 PM
Josh,

You should really be asking what to do when you catch one. They have quite delicate mouthparts, and you can easily injure them ( and yourself ) if you get it wrong.

Josh1337
2nd January 2011, 04:53 PM
I am quite confident on handling one, i have all correct tools to remove, i have removed the barbs from the hooks also for easy unhooking..

Just need the information on getting in contact with them :)

thankyou for you concern though

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 04:58 PM
if your really struggling getting the lure down then pop on a light one, but as most canals are at best 5-6 foot max you shouldnt need too. the average depth is between 4-6 foot. most lures can cover 4ft adequately.

Just take care not to hinder the rise of the lure

a soft lure may need one if its not built into the body already.

keep it simple and grow your confidence.
your local tackle shop should help you with downriggers look on ebay too. just buy light. Remember your not trolling 30+ft deep.
it sounds like your looking for a bit of assistance to dive the lure not to hold it down.

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 05:08 PM
Josh,

You should really be asking what to do when you catch one. They have quite delicate mouthparts, and you can easily injure them ( and yourself ) if you get it wrong.

A good point no matter how confident you are its best to know for certian pike are delicate and dont like alot of bank time. its not uncommon to release a pike watch oit swim off and see a corpse the next day.

i went out with a piker and the tips were invaluable!

im now confident in knowing im doing it right for myself and the pike. ive recently landed a 22lb, 12oz and its not a fish you wanna dither with.

Josh1337
2nd January 2011, 05:13 PM
Holy nice pike! your personal best?

Also - Yeah its more about me diving the lure.. as i read when i casted my lure it went like 15-20 yards.. I was like ok.. It floated.. i reeled like 2-5 times so it was submerged for around 4-6 seconds then it would pop up and id repeat but it no time it was back at my feet and i was casting out again.. just want to know if im doing right or wrong.

A good point no matter how confident you are its best to know for certian pike are delicate and dont like alot of bank time. its not uncommon to release a pike watch oit swim off and see a corpse the next day.

i went out with a piker and the tips were invaluable!

im now confident in knowing im doing it right for myself and the pike. ive recently landed a 22lb, 12oz and its not a fish you wanna dither with.

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 05:23 PM
yeah sounds right ,just practice getting some distance on the cast, and with bouyant jig lurs ei dont wind. I move the rod towards the margins quickly enough to get the lure down then i slowly return the rod whilst reeling in the loose line. you can also give a jerky dive to entice pike not so easy whislst winding in
As you get used to the depth you can acheive with moving the rod at a certain pace, you can gauge how deep your making the lure go to stay off the bottom and out of snags etc.

imo this works for me and save the wait whilst the lure rises again. this method may get that lure down deeper faster for you.

just keep on at it if you blank its practise and lure reaction knowledge being learnt if nothng else.

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 05:31 PM
Bank Time will see you your own style just practise different ways to retrive a pike may like one lure goin jerky and another smooth. dont change your lure untill you have covered the water area you can reach and that you have tried diff retrieval styles.

Josh1337
2nd January 2011, 05:42 PM
Bank Time will see you your own style just practise different ways to retrive a pike may like one lure goin jerky and another smooth. dont change your lure untill you have covered the water area you can reach and that you have tried diff retrieval styles.

Okay i will bere all your tips in mind!

How am i to cast a spinner/lure without no weight behind it though? i can cast a feeder/ledger/float or whatever im using fine.. its just the weight behind it to be able to throw it out 20-40 yards..

Is this me? or just not enough weight there ?

Rive t
2nd January 2011, 05:52 PM
Josh i haven't got time to go into detail at the moment mate. But if you have any queries on anything to do with pike, I'm your man. Just PM me with all of your Questions i will gladly help you out. Any of the lads will tell you about me Josh.

All the best

Tony

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 05:53 PM
is your spool loaded to the lip? If not you may be suffering drag on the cast, a full spool loaded to 1/2mm under the lip is about right.

bar that idealy you need a rod with eyes no smaller than 4/5mm I D as the guides on a match rod for instance will be too small and again you may suffer from line drag

i use a 12ft 2lb test carp rod and can cast 40 yards easy on most of my lures (with no trees about lol) 30ish with spinners certainly far enough for my waters

it will also handle anything i hit into.

two shakes
2nd January 2011, 06:37 PM
Pike are nasty vicious creatures,best thing to do is get a good grip of them ,then file there teeth down so they can't kill anymore smaller fish.I'm a canal fisherman and i'm fed up with the amount of dead and injured fish i see in a match because of them nasty horrible pike.I'd hate to see an inocent fish being killed for no reason,so teeth filing seems the most humane option to me.

daddy mo
2nd January 2011, 07:01 PM
Do you need a special file or will any do this job

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 07:02 PM
i just rattle the forceps around their mouth loosens the teeth well, two shakes

two shakes
2nd January 2011, 07:15 PM
Do you need a special file or will any do this job

My local B&Q have a sale on at the mo.The wood RASPS look like the ideal tool for pike filing.Best 4.98 i ever spent.

hurricane
2nd January 2011, 07:37 PM
Coming to a canal near you soon.

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 07:53 PM
it swallowed than one deep peter!

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 07:54 PM
;p

pike are nasty vicious creatures,best thing to do is get a good grip of them ,then file there teeth down so they can't kill anymore smaller fish.i'm a canal fisherman and i'm fed up with the amount of dead and injured fish i see in a match because of them nasty horrible pike.i'd hate to see an inocent fish being killed for no reason,so teeth filing seems the most humane option to me.

hurricane
2nd January 2011, 07:58 PM
Thats one of the tiny fry it had been feeding on.,not one of our baits.

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 08:00 PM
ah i thought it was a spinner peter

luke carpstalker
2nd January 2011, 08:07 PM
Pike are nasty vicious creatures,best thing to do is get a good grip of them ,then file there teeth down so they can't kill anymore smaller fish.I'm a canal fisherman and i'm fed up with the amount of dead and injured fish i see in a match because of them nasty horrible pike.I'd hate to see an inocent fish being killed for no reason,so teeth filing seems the most humane option to me.

http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/imageBank/cache/g/gok-wan-cover.jpg_e_f3a7c2adba52315d6ab61b83a2cd478e.jpg

ERRRR DARLING!!!???

Pike culling is SO last week, do try and keep up, love.

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 08:14 PM
.... :D

two shakes
2nd January 2011, 10:08 PM
http://www.nowmagazine.co.uk/imageBank/cache/g/gok-wan-cover.jpg_e_f3a7c2adba52315d6ab61b83a2cd478e.jpg

ERRRR DARLING!!!???

Pike culling is SO last week, do try and keep up, love.

Pike "Culling" oh no no no,thats just cruel.Much better to grind them gnashers down a little and return.I've heard they become veggies once there teeth have been doctored.

Tarks
2nd January 2011, 10:27 PM
nah... just a mouldy green brown colour TS

Azz
2nd January 2011, 10:52 PM
Coming to a canal near you soon.

Second picture is my fish, took a nice 1.5lb roach.

Canal fishermen are nasty viscious creatures, best thing to do is get a good grip of them, then file there teeth down. :p

darren.cox22
2nd January 2011, 11:19 PM
Josh i haven't got time to go into detail at the moment mate. But if you have any queries on anything to do with pike, I'm your man. Just PM me with all of your Questions i will gladly help you out. Any of the lads will tell you about me Josh.

All the best

Tony

:D;)

KevBerry
3rd January 2011, 09:35 AM
Went Piking first time today, wanted to ask a few questions here for next time..

I have spinners and a couple of lures.

Spinners; Not heavy but i see how they operate in the water.. I reel in and i find that they come up? is there anyway i can keep them down? ie - Lure > Trace > Bead > Ledger?

Lures; I used my lure firstly and i found that they work pretty awesome and if i was a pike i would definatly go as it looks like a mangled fish in the water lol..

It floats but when i reel in i find that it goes down because of the spade lip.. how should i operate these?

Also; casting how far can you cast out to be able to locate/find a pike, question is spinners, light atm so im able to cast them about 15-20 yards..

Thanks again,

Any tips will appriciated :)

Josh

would suggest that first you maybe read a couple of books about pike angling, what tackle to use etc
then ask if you can accompany any one that knows his stuff about pike, being confident regarding unhooking is ok, but hands on experience is best done with someone who can show you, they not like unhooking other fish, you can get hurt- and mishandling pike will kill them.
I think its pretty obvious theres some muppets on here with regards pike, want some proper help and advice go to pike and predators forum

KevBerry
3rd January 2011, 09:40 AM

I love canal fishermen, they provide me with all the deadbaits I need. All you have to do is wait till they weighed in then walk down and collect the dead/dying fish off the surface.
The only humane thing to do is knock canal fishermen on the head---- but then I would have to catch my own bait

two shakes
3rd January 2011, 11:44 AM
Pike death brings in strict new rules for Boddington - Coventry Telegraph - Pink Online (http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/pinkonline/2010/01/pike-death-brings-in-strict-ne.html)

Rive t
3rd January 2011, 06:22 PM
16 pike Anglers on the narrow outlet of the reservoir. Why the hell don't you pike anglers jump on that bandwagon instead of my little rouse. A 40 pounder and you silly sods killed it, The next time i want my pike culling i shall say i caught a 40 pounder from my stretch of canal.

hurricane
3rd January 2011, 06:37 PM
Bet it must have looked a bit like this Tone???

hurricane
3rd January 2011, 07:08 PM
16 pike Anglers on the narrow outlet of the reservoir. Why the hell don't you pike anglers jump on that bandwagon instead of my little rouse. A 40 pounder and you silly sods killed it, The next time i want my pike culling i shall say i caught a 40 pounder from my stretch of canal.
Who says we didnt????? it was 12 months ago. PS Tone if you change the word poker for bridge your signature might make a bit more sense.lol.

BIG COL
3rd January 2011, 07:18 PM
I love canal fishermen, they provide me with all the deadbaits I need. All you have to do is wait till they weighed in then walk down and collect the dead/dying fish off the surface.
The only humane thing to do is knock canal fishermen on the head---- but then I would have to catch my own bait

Dont give up do ya ???

Azz
3rd January 2011, 08:42 PM

I think you should reword this, "we" didn't kill it, the inexperienced pikers did. As has been said many times, they are easy to damage.

KevBerry
3rd January 2011, 09:42 PM
Dont give up do ya ???

Not me set the rules, I just play by them--- dont like taking it then dont give it

BIG COL
3rd January 2011, 09:54 PM
I aint give anything:confused:
if i had of done ,i would accept what you have just said:rolleyes:
Just observing:p

Josh1337
3rd January 2011, 11:19 PM
Bet it must have looked a bit like this Tone???

where was this? lol

hurricane
3rd January 2011, 11:21 PM
Outside the fingerpost pub,Josh.

tk
4th January 2011, 11:36 AM
Outside the fingerpost pub,Josh.

It's the opposite (far) end of The Common to that photo you took and published in anotherr topic on here Josh

Bluenose75
4th January 2011, 12:35 PM
where was this? lol

the cut is still froze but if you fancy meeting up for a session you can teach me a few tips I only live 500 yards away!!