PDA

View Full Version : Bitter sweet big pike catch. Here is how it went down.

Tarks
6th November 2010, 11:39 AM
Hi all i was on the Congerstone stretch of canal(nr mkt Bosworth) at bridge 53, 200 yrds up spinning for perch.

when after an hour of changing lures etc i decided to try for a few pikey spots so walking down the 200 yrd stretch i came to a 30 yard patch of leaf covered water bank to bank so i cast into the edge of it for the last cast of the sesh.....

Well i let the spinner settle with a small tug i started the retrieve only to hit into what i thought was debris or fallen branch. So on my maver black ice 2 with a browning sytec reel 6LB main line which (was an AT give away) and a 15lb wire trace and a simple brass spoon single hooked spinner, i pulled steady to retrieve this heavy lump without cracking off my light setup.

well i got this lump into the middle of the canal only for it to rise up to being a very decent large pike! at a gasp my first thought was how am i going to land this lol.
It saw me and it kicked off its escape attempt, i was in shock of what id hooked into on light tackle so gave it all my gear would give it. far out performed by the size and sport of the pike.

seemingly ages went by while waiting for it to tire and i took 4 attempts to land it for it to take off again i soon managed to get it half into a small landing net id chosen to take perfect for jack pike or perch.

On the scales it was 22lb 12oz and a right monster ive not stopped grinning about it

The bitter thing is no camera only my partner as a witness to its beauty and size.

As you may agree i under-estimated what the water would produce, how lucky was i!

Needless to say the pike was delt with quickly and supported untill it got its breath back what a beauty and i cant wait for the next +20 pike and while spinning on light tackle!

One thing for sure i will go with much more suitable tackle from now on.

im now set on landing it again so im going once a week to the same spot and im going spinning and dead baiting to see if it will grace my net again. A picture will be taken without a doutb.

paul k
6th November 2010, 11:45 AM
Well done,tarks! That's a big pike from a canal,mate ;-)

Tarks
6th November 2010, 11:52 AM
Hell yeah! untill i saw it i was in full belief it was debris, im blown away and i feel humbled to of had it. i dont think ill see it again but im going to try for it.

does anyone know if a particular large pike has lares or regular haunts to target it? as id love to have it once more.

im already thinking ill not see it again.

hurricane
6th November 2010, 12:14 PM
Well done on your fish mate,big pike can often be caught a few times in the same area,but will move if they encounter too much pressure,lots of features will"hold" a big pike and some of these can be quite insignificant but as with all predators the main attraction will be food,when you try again mate,up the stakes a bit on the tackle front,6lb line aint up to the job,and you can"t have a net thats too big,only one thats too small,and you should never go without a camera,hope to see a pic in the near future.Regards Peter.

Rive t
6th November 2010, 12:20 PM
I hope the next time you catch it, you will hit it over the head and throw it up the bank, or better still take it to an old age pensioners home so that they can eat it.
Can you imagine how many roach a vermin fish like that can eat.

paul k
6th November 2010, 12:32 PM
And cue peter........

luke carpstalker
6th November 2010, 12:49 PM
With all this pikey action, I think the hogbuster is coming out for a couple of hours this afternoon down my local park.

Stan
6th November 2010, 12:56 PM
I hope the next time you catch it, you will hit it over the head and throw it up the bank, or better still take it to an old age pensioners home so that they can eat it.

Sad

Azz
6th November 2010, 01:15 PM

lol

Do I bite? Excuse the pun.....

Tarks
8th November 2010, 10:55 AM
Shut up Rive T!!!!! Your comments like that have no place here mate. i along with millions enjoy pike angling and see a significant justification for pike in a water.

(yes in large numbers "JACK" pike can be a pain and even eat into a stock a little but id never kill a +20s pike not now not ever.

NO reply needed or wanted Rite T thanks. ;)

Tarks
8th November 2010, 11:06 AM
hi Peter,

yes as i mention i fished well under what was ideal for the fish a lucky land it was. I now setup with 20lb braid main a min of 15lb wire trace and spin with a 2lb test rod oh and always take my 42" landing net.
since reading on here ive decided to flaten all my barbed hooks too (ill still buy barbed and flatten them as i believe its going to hold just a little better than barbless but shouldnt do the damage barbs can.

after all i proved the unexpected does happen lol.

fish care is paramount after all.

i never thought for a minute id land or even hook into anything over 12lb it was a delight to have it and see it swim off after recovery.

(people making comments like Rive T 's are Sad and dissapointing, regardless of our personal opinions pike have a place in our waters. I could understand if id caught a Zander as they dont really have a place never should have their not native afetr all, Thats reason enough in my mind. You cant get a more britsh preditor fish than a pike can you?).

Larry Teepot
8th November 2010, 05:10 PM
why cant people have opinions without being personaly attacked.....hope they were barbless hooks on that spinner

Tarks
8th November 2010, 07:25 PM
Flattened barbed tbh. i feel more confident with them i lost alot with barbless but didnt like to use open barb. i personally feel closed barbed have a better hold without fish damage ;)

luke carpstalker
8th November 2010, 07:34 PM
I was always a flattened barb fan, but late this year I switched to barbless for paste/carp, and didn't see any difference at all in bumped fish.

My lure gear is out again now before it gets icelandic, but the lures could all do with new hooks, and I think I'll fit barbless. trouble with big barbs on big trebbles is they can still pick up, even when 'flattened'.

What pattern did you get the canal lump on out of interest?

jay411
9th November 2010, 08:43 AM
well said mr rive its high time these murdering fish were taken out of our water ways to preserve our fish stocks ,

Rive t
9th November 2010, 12:13 PM
Shut up Rive T!!!!! Your comments like that have no place here mate. i along with millions enjoy pike angling and see a significant justification for pike in a water.

(yes in large numbers "JACK" pike can be a pain and even eat into a stock a little but id never kill a +20s pike not now not ever.

NO reply needed or wanted Rite T thanks. ;)

This is a bit personal isnt it,

awesome fish
9th November 2010, 05:24 PM
i agree with rive it should off been killled and sold to local indian

Azz
9th November 2010, 05:39 PM
Why should it be killed?

luke carpstalker
9th November 2010, 05:56 PM
Azz,

You are trying to discuss this with people that have no concept of evolution. I woudn't waste your time !

Reynolds2k7
9th November 2010, 07:04 PM
Humanity is the biggest murderer of everything would you agree its high time to destroy ourselves to preserve earth?

Pike are evidently in our waterways to regulate fish stocks, jacks eat many roach, Big girls eat many jacks. This way there is a maintained ecosystem rather than letting it get over run by one species. Pike also eat the sick/ill fish, and dead fish this can also prevent diseases infecting entire fish stocks which can ultimately lead to mass demise of a water leaving it a "dead water."

Zander on the otherhand are a different matter on smaller waters

But seriously quit being naive and open you eyes to the reason why they are obviously there

Ignorant people like you really hack me off sometimes

Reynolds2k7
9th November 2010, 07:55 PM
Oh yea sorry man forgot to say....Well done on your catch :) shame about the camera though

BIG COL
9th November 2010, 09:39 PM
why cant people have opinions without being personaly attacked.....hope they were barbless hooks on that spinner

Larry i couldnt Agree more:rolleyes:

Azz
10th November 2010, 10:44 AM
I agree as well.

My opinion is Pike should be everywhere, and eat as much as they can..

jethro
10th November 2010, 12:39 PM
Best Pike that I've ever had was tea smoked then generously seasoned & fried in butter, it was only a 5lb er but still four of us enjoyed it.
I've now got the urge to tackle my spinner rod this weekend, yum yum.

Reynolds2k7
10th November 2010, 12:51 PM
Best Pike that I've ever had was tea smoked then generously seasoned & fried in butter, it was only a 5lb er but still four of us enjoyed it.
I've now got the urge to tackle my spinner rod this weekend, yum yum.

Ha sounds nice :) shame im allergic to fish now... Apparently pike test the nicest when they are up to around 4lb after that the meat isnt so nice.

Tarks
15th November 2010, 01:23 PM
I was always a flattened barb fan, but late this year I switched to barbless for paste/carp, and didn't see any difference at all in bumped fish.

My lure gear is out again now before it gets icelandic, but the lures could all do with new hooks, and I think I'll fit barbless. trouble with big barbs on big trebbles is they can still pick up, even when 'flattened'.

What pattern did you get the canal lump on out of interest?

it was just a plain brass spoon on a silver collar with red bands and a red tear drop bead to top it off to the line loop. ive blanked on it all year before and since lol a one off.
9grm.

Tarks
15th November 2010, 01:25 PM
Ive not stopped going on about not having a picture to the missus lol. So i can now take her digi cam with me as long as i dont kill it, or she will kill me.

ill have pictures of my success in the future for sure.

Tarks
15th November 2010, 01:39 PM
as for those saying im wrong for not thanking anyone for making silly comments about killing native preditor fish sod the lot of you.

i think its totally wrong to state they should all be killed to preserve a fish stock when we all know TRUE preditory fish hunt for food and infact Help preserve a healthy fish stock.

pike in numbers or any fish in huge numbers can devastate a stock . its decent management thats the key not killing a certian fish due to narrow minded opinions.

after all most of our commies are just giant fish tanks theres always a healthy fish to water ratio that is all to often flexed to breaking point ending fish kills or at the very least us humans chucking in every bait known to us in excess, we see it every year.

that rarely has anything to do with preditory fish.

Get rid of zander, they doent really have a place here after all, they are not needed in any way as far as im concerned.

correct me if im wrong.