View Full Version : big carp small elastic

26th August 2010, 09:21 PM
i was fishing ringers bag em up paste in the margins with 6-10 middy hi-viz elastic when i hooked into a solid fish which just shot into the reeds 15 foot out it was the best fite i had in ages took me a hour too play and it weighting in at 15lb 6 o not bad for a 13 year old eh? :)

paul k
26th August 2010, 09:30 PM
Not bad for a 13 year old mate,but the fact that it took you an hour to land it should also tell you that your laccy is too fine for margin fishing-you need to step it up,as it's not very good for the fish to be scrapping away for an hour,in fact you could harm the fish. I wouldn't fish anything finer than a 16 or 18 for big fish in the margins. They'll still scrap well,but they won't get harmed.

26th August 2010, 09:31 PM
nice one mate, no need to boast ;) :p

Oh and good advice from paul!

26th August 2010, 10:11 PM
if you do fish paste in margins but want light elastic have a pulla bung but still you want a good 12 laccy or a pure latex

luke carpstalker
26th August 2010, 10:27 PM
Trouble with light laccy is that it is not only too soft for that size fish when fighting, it is to soft even when they are beat, a 15lb carp even when shot is a big weight to drag through the water.

27th August 2010, 10:27 AM
I remember the good old days when commercials just started and we were happy fishing No8 or 10 for any sized fish!

Top draw catching a 15lb fish on the pole, especially as your only 13! Keep it up, but like the lads say step your gear up, I wouldnt want to be playing a fish for more than 5 minutes, let alone an hour!

27th August 2010, 01:35 PM
i was using light elastic because i was catching little f1's