PDA

View Full Version : Am i limiting myself?

carpediem4300
9th August 2010, 09:31 AM
When i go fishing i predominantely take:

Sweetcorn
Luncheon meat
Bread
Expanders
Groundbait
micros

so generally carp bait, although i occasionaly catch other species.

what else should i take so i can catch decent roach/perch/tench/bream?

I know the tactic for roach/perch is dangle a maggot and they shall come

but how do you target bigger roach/perch? and including bream/tench

hurricane
9th August 2010, 10:11 AM
http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/members/hurricane-albums-tackle_rigs-picture4416-manor_farm_015.jpgNot for roach,but for the rest,yes.

Reynolds2k7
9th August 2010, 10:13 AM
To be honest i tend to catch some nice roach,rudd,tench and bream on sweetcorn alone.

Saying that, on commercials when i used to fish them i had bream roach and rudd out on luncheon meat and tench obviously they love the stuff anyware.

hurricane
9th August 2010, 10:19 AM
Worms,worms and more worms.

carpediem4300
9th August 2010, 10:38 AM
so by carrying some maggots/worms i can extend the species i catch???

hurricane
9th August 2010, 10:44 AM
I cant think of a freshwater fish that has not been caught on the humble worm,from sticklebacks to catfish and eveything in between,if i were limited to only one bait it would be worms without hesitation.and to a great extent are free.

carpediem4300
9th August 2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks for that :)

I think i worry sometimes that by using other baits im jsut going to catch small skimmers all day, which whilst a fish is a fish to me,

i prefere a challenge,

andypryce
6th September 2010, 04:39 PM
I wish to limit myself. I fish for Carp, but when using 10mm boilies I often catch small bream etc.

Usually when this happens I switch to 20mm boilies to eliminate the smaller species.

shiny_bottom_1
6th September 2010, 06:02 PM
Hey James.

I went on to one of my club waters over the weekend, and fished the feeder with:

1. Pop-up boilies
2. Paste
3. Meat
4. Pop-up corn
5. Worm
6. Maggots

One tench (circa 3lb) and one roach (about 3oz), and I was after the carp lol
I did get a knock from an under water Grebe on the corn...might be interesting on a weigh in!

I do, like hurricaine, like worms.
I fished a different lake worth worms a couple of weeks a go. I got a near on 1lb perch (ok, not a specimen), and had plenty of activity.
Maggots can also produce - I had a 4lb 6oz tench on one lake, and a 5lb 8oz tench on another, all within the space of a few days, on a double (1 white, 1 red) maggot and size 16 hook.
I don't fish commies anymore, and finding that there are good days and not so good days, but one thing you can never guarantee, is what is going to catch.

connor
6th September 2010, 07:42 PM
If you fish the winter bread punch is deadly for big roach

hawb81
6th September 2010, 09:39 PM
worm and caster - i was fishing chopped dendrobeana and caster with redworm, lobworm, and casters on the hook last few outings and bagged up on the silvers with some nice roach and a perch 1 Lb 11 oz on a 1/4 inch piece of lob, i have caught my biggest perch to date on double red at 2 1/2 Lb, still hunting the 5 Lb plus. my window cleaner was fishing the town water at bridgnorth a few weeks ago and caught a perch that bowed in his net and was quite deep on a single caster, he said he couldnt wait to get it back in the water its mouth was huge, he didnt take a picture or weigh it, it maybe a record fish gone

minnowmaster
8th September 2010, 07:49 PM
Worms,caster and molehill. All I do is chop up some worms, add a handful of caster and 1 pint of mole hill. Molehill is heavy and full of worm goodness, it will get down to the bottom without breaking up. I cup it in but it can be balled in. For hook bait rip a head off a worm and hook it through the leaking end. When things are quiet try a single caster. Thats what I have found doesn't fail for better fish on all different venues.

luke carpstalker
8th September 2010, 08:00 PM
Molehill being literally that?

Piles of soil picked up from grass verges?

Do you just cup it in on the pole?, if i see some I'll snaffle it, do I need to prevent it from drying out?

Is it full of wormy mole-turd?

minnowmaster
8th September 2010, 08:08 PM
Yes mate, mole hill. Look for the fresh stuff, the darker stuffs better. I just throw it in a huge dog food tub. When you go to use it, sieve it so its nice and fluffy. Yep full of worm turd, they love it because it is all natural and nothing to be wary off. Its good for getting bait to the deck. Another thing is...when fishing chop worm and ground bait together, the ground bait masks the almino smell weras molehill doesn't. I had 25lb of rudd,skimmers and roach in 3 hours fishing like that. I fead 1 big ball at the start and then filled myself in using a cad pot. Another good thing is the fish dont gill feed over it.
Dan

luke carpstalker
8th September 2010, 08:16 PM
Interesting, I'll have a crack at that. My local has a groundbait in moderation policy, so I'll try some of that if I can see any on my travels....anywhere between 800 and 1000 miles a week so I should see some.

Just lauch a ball in and cup the rest? I don't normally use casters or worm, so I'll improvise with hemp/pellets in the soil and fish my usual sloppy paste. I had some good results lately with liquidised hemp, that I was advised on here, but would have never believed.

PS, I make nathan watson look like a spendthrift, I refuse outright to spend 4 on a bag of groundbait!

cheers..;)

minnowmaster
8th September 2010, 08:35 PM
OK mate, the reason why molehills so goof is because it doesn't contain fishmeal. Some fish back off that especially in natural venues. I wouldn't recomment using paste and pellets. Hemp should be fine so should corn. Anyway give it a go, its free!

luke carpstalker
8th September 2010, 08:57 PM
I catch well on paste on my local, various mixes, mostly containing fishmeal.

There must be something whiffy about molehills, I texted my boss to see if he sees any on his morning dog walk...he does, and his dog always makes a bee-line for molehills to do a dump on.

I've told him to take an extra bag, and get me some ( minus any dog-eggs)

John Sharpe
11th September 2010, 02:32 PM
may just be my local, but i have had a 2lb perca on corn. no the only one either, have had several of its smaller brethren too. can't go wrong with lobs though, you'd be amazed how big a worm a 4oz perch can swallow.