View Full Version : PVA bags...

21st July 2010, 11:24 AM
Hi all,
How do you guys set up your bags for casting out?
I tend to make little bags and just hook them up. I've tried putting the lead and hook in the bag but I'm paranoid that the leads sitting on the hook or the rig just isn't sitting right! I guess it's just a confidence thing.
What do you guys do? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

21st July 2010, 11:37 AM
Lick and stick matey.. depending on how far your casting.. if i was going for a big chuck i would probably use small sticks or a big bag with everything in it like a cricket ball.. big shock leader though to avoid crack off's..

I have though used them on the canal in Cheshire by placing big tunnel pva bags in the track with copious amounts of pellets and chopped tigers

all depends on what your using and how far you are casting

21st July 2010, 12:46 PM
stick 2 peices of pva nugget on your hook before putting it in the bag, then get it all in there, if you use lead clips for attaching your leads then use the top one to wrap the top of bag around after licking it, keep rolling it round until it sticks to the lead clip... If you get it right it will be more than strong enough for a big chuck.. May take a bit of practice to get it spot on, but its a lot easier than messing with pva string and the like..

Alternatively move over to pva mesh, then use it in short sticks and thread them onto your hooklength and use em to keep everything nice and straight.. by popping your hook into the bottom of it..

paul k
21st July 2010, 12:47 PM
For small pva bags-i just hook them,twist a few times and re hook them-they stay on,no problems mate.

21st July 2010, 01:13 PM
Unless ive got a good reason not to i tend to stick with mesh,i find bags too fiddly and you can make up plenty of sticks in advance,heres a few we use.

21st July 2010, 02:08 PM
Hurricane, where is your hook in the 2nd photo?? I have never used PVA, something I will have to try in time. Just can't work out where your hook is.... :P

21st July 2010, 02:11 PM
Just above the boillie mate,its masked with a piece of pva foam to keep the hook clear of bottom debri.

21st July 2010, 02:58 PM
better view http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/members/hurricane-albums-other_stuff-picture4262-014.jpg

21st July 2010, 03:12 PM
Just above the boillie mate,its masked with a piece of pva foam to keep the hook clear of bottom debri.

Ahhh OK, makes sense. Good idea as well. I shall one day play with this PVA stuff...... Might even give it a whirl this weekend. Something else I will have to read up on :P

21st July 2010, 04:03 PM
Solid bags do have thier uses but mesh is far more versatile and cheaper.

21st July 2010, 04:05 PM
and melts quicker IMO :)

21st July 2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the replies guys!
I'm gonna try the mesh I think cause I only make the bags for putting on the hook rather than putting the hook and lead inside the bag.
Hurricane you make the mesh bags look alot neater too!

21st July 2010, 07:52 PM
It is very simple mate,thats the basis of all my fishing,at the end of the day its a feeder rig that melts in water,ive seen loads of variations and they all have thier uses but at the end of the day i catch my fair share of fish on the most basic of rigs,set ups and for that matter tackle,but 1 bit of kit i would not like to be without is pva mesh its so vesatile for so many methods and styles of fishing,(try to catapult mixers at 50 yds) get some you wont be sorry.

22nd July 2010, 12:05 PM
Sorry to bother you again hurricane... So in your pictures, that is all mesh? Not PVA bags? Just sort of mesh bags you have made up? Or I think you call them sticks? Also you do have PVA foam for your hook. So if I went into the tackle shop tonight, to make up the setup you have there. I would just need some PVA mesh and some foam? Not PVA bags? Thanks in advance.

22nd July 2010, 06:56 PM
Hi BarrieG,
The PVA bags look like small freezer bags and the PVA mesh looks like stockings! (the mesh is what's in Hurricanes pictures)
Hope this helps.

22nd July 2010, 10:08 PM
Sorry mate just got back from fishing,as Carpike says its mesh in my pics,it comes in narrow medium and wide,for your first one its best to go for a medium that comes on a tube with a plunger,from then on you simply buy the cheaper refills,the foam nuggets used to mask your hooks are pretty cheap in most places,but sometimes come free as packaging but you need to check it as some is not pva.its no bother helping out mate feel free to ask anytime bud.

22nd July 2010, 11:04 PM
Thanks carpike.

Also thanks hurricane.... Another question now. I have highlighted in one of your pictures a piece of tackle. It looks very neat and I need to get some of these to try this out. I am just using the method for all my feeder needs at the moment but I know I am getting very one track minded so I want to expand my knowledge. I actually will keep doing certain setups until I am 100% happy with it and know how to change it etc etc. Anyway what is this piece of equipment highlighted in red that your bomb is hanging off:

Thanks in advance hurricane.

22nd July 2010, 11:14 PM
Its a leadclip mate,it secures the lead to create the bolt effect,but the lead will pull free if it gets tethered,can also be used with a feeder.

23rd July 2010, 05:47 PM
I have now bought a couple of those leadclips. I've also got PVA mesh with the tube thing to make my "dynamite sticks" with. No PVA foam though but that's no biggy. Thanks again hurricane. Look forward to trying this out tomorrow!!

23rd July 2010, 05:53 PM
crumble your boilies matey and bang them into the tube and compress down.. use the same boilie on the hair :) the tube plunger things seriously doo work and work well :) donw worry about the pva foam, run the baiting needle through the stick and to the top, bring the entire hooklink through the stick until the boilie sits at the bottom and the hook is round the bottom of the stick :) kinda inline feeder so to speak :)

27th July 2010, 09:23 AM
I do the same as Chesh. But obviously you need to be fishing with a small loop at the end of your hooklink material and not a swivel so you can use that to pull through the stick (Mesh) after threading your baiting needle through the stick. You can them bury the hook point inside so no need for the foam leaving your hookbait the only thing outside of the stick itself.

10th August 2010, 04:25 PM
You can prevent the hook sitting under the lead simply by putting boilie crumb or any other pva friendly bait at the bottom of the bag, then your lead, followed by more bait then your hook with a pva nugget to stop your hook point from impaling your bait and it also lifts your hooklink during the process of the bag melting therefore the hook wont be near your lead also as the hookling rises with the foam a coated braid with boom the bait away from the lead due to its slight stiffness hope this helps