PDA

View Full Version : catfish and carp line

nathan555
4th May 2010, 02:54 PM
i was just wondering coz the lake i fish have cats in to over 40lb what would be the best line to use for these and would the bigger line slow down my catch rates or would they stay the same because i use the reels for carp as well on the same lake

cheers nathan

hurricane
4th May 2010, 05:35 PM
I only ever fish for one or the other, and have 3 rods set up purely for cats,most of my catting is done on fairly snag free venues and im confident with 25lb sensor teamed with original 3lb tc shimano hyperloops,when targeting carp theres no way you can stop a cat picking up your bait,a lot of the cat boys are on 65lb braid and if its allowed on your venues it should not reduce your chances of catching carp,if you want to fish for the carp but stand a chance of landing the cats you will need to find a compromise that suits your venue,my good mate maggot drowner(aka the biggest tackle tart around) often takes 6 rods,he fishes 3 for carp during the day and sinply changes over for cats early evening and through the night.some big cats are landed on standard carp gear but a lot more are lost,my advice would be to make a decision on what you want to target and change your gear accordingly.Regards Peter.

hurricane
4th May 2010, 05:38 PM
This one was caught on bog standard carp gear while we trying to get the captor his first double figure carp:Dhttp://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/members/hurricane-albums-pictures-picture1017-zippy_cat_boillie.jpg

ian_kent
4th May 2010, 09:35 PM
Nathan..

Guessing that you using "proper" carp/cat tactics then your line is only attached to your hooklink pal..

So i doubt very much that it would affect your catch rate..

If the lake your fishing is fairly snag free then something like 15 or 18lb sensor will suffice nicely.. What you dont wanna do with cats in lakes is try and pull there heads off when playing them, my advice would be to play them as gentle as poss and lead them rather than pull them, ultimately meaning you wouldnt need heavy gear..

BUT, if your fishing a snaggy or weedy lake then you may need to step up the gear to 20-25lb line and 3lb tc rods and be prepared to be dragged in!! lol lol

here fishy fishy
7th May 2010, 05:09 PM
I fish for cats using a 15lb mainline (sensor breaks at about 18lb)
For my hook links i use Catfish Pro Catlink Kevlar in 40lb amnesia or kyrston quicksilver :)