work parties
register with talk angling fishing chat

Thread: work parties

WAC Match Secretary Registered member

Default work parties

hi all !
    i am looking for ideas on how to recruit more members to the work parties that my angling club needs for essential work
    we have 300 fishing members & just a base of 15 anglers attending work parties (excluding committee).
    should we ? make it compulsory for all abled bodied members attend at least 2 work parties ?
    what do you think ? ideas please !
    ps the club already offer vouchers to those attending , this gives them 50% discount on the annual subscription . still no others turn up !
    Thanks , Tizzy

Blog Entries

Before my club lost its waters we used to operate, that all able bodied members should attend at least one working party, which lasted a max of three hours, the working party day was set for the same sunday of every month. failure to attend would incur a fine which had to be paid before any subscription was renewed.That fine was at least £10, which would pay for a casual worker to carry out the work that would have been carried out.
    Offering a discount does not really work as you are really paying them to turn up albeit the sum may be only a few pound. I am however of the opinion that anyone who is physically capable of fishing, without support, eg can get own tackle to a peg or not wheel chair bound should attend a working party, and carry out menial tasks like litter picking repainting peg nos. Before anyone thinks that I am hard hearted, I rarely missed a working party and I had an heart attack and COPD which would have seen me medically excused.

Talk Angling User Senior Member

Much depends on how good the fishing on your waters really is. Threats of fines or exclusions only really work when demand is high or there are limited places. I've seen clubs only offer night tickets if a member turns up to a certain number of work parties. I've also heard of clubs asking for extra fees to make someone (who is otherwise capable) exempt from work parties. However, the number of clubs that can actually get away with that is limited.

Sadly, most people don't seem to get the concept of a club being an anglers co-operative. Most just want to cough up a fee and expect a service. For most clubs and syndicates, you'll generally find that it's the same old faces doing everything. I'd actually suggest that getting fifteen ordinary members out of three hundred is actually pretty respectable. The sad reality is that many won't turn up even if their membership depended upon it. They'd just find an alternative club that wasn't so demanding. In the extreme, I've actually attended work parties on stillwaters where some members have turned up to fish and refused point blank to help with the work going on around them, not even for half an hour.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling MT NET's Avatar

Our club had the problem of not getting anyone turn up for work parties,But they did them every Sunday,people work 5/6 days a week and need there fishing fix,so they do them every three weeks now and get a healthy turn out,some stay a couple of hours some longer but it works.
    OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Whale martin56's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian G View Post
    Before my club lost its waters we used to operate, that all able bodied members should attend at least one working party, which lasted a max of three hours, the working party day was set for the same sunday of every month. failure to attend would incur a fine which had to be paid before any subscription was renewed.That fine was at least £10, which would pay for a casual worker to carry out the work that would have been carried out.
    Offering a discount does not really work as you are really paying them to turn up albeit the sum may be only a few pound. I am however of the opinion that anyone who is physically capable of fishing, without support, eg can get own tackle to a peg or not wheel chair bound should attend a working party, and carry out menial tasks like litter picking repainting peg nos. Before anyone thinks that I am hard hearted, I rarely missed a working party and I had an heart attack and COPD which would have seen me medically excused.
    Hi Brian, 5 years ago, I also had a Heart attack (Myocardial Infarction) & spent 4 days on a life support machine.

Guess your on the same, standard Heart Attack Kit as I?? (10mg = x2 5mg Ramipril, 5 mg Bisoprolol, 75mg Aspirin, 80mg Atorvastatin & 10mg Omeprazole??)

Our club no longer requires work parties as we now use Commercial Fisheries.

I up till this year still took on weighing in duties (Lifting the Fish) when I drew a scales peg, but have now excluded myself from this - except I'll still do the weight card duty, which is simply recording the weights at each peg.
    Last edited by martin56; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:19 AM.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.