My First Blog
register with talk angling fishing chat

Thread: My First Blog

Monster Fish Site Life Member Preston_Mark's Avatar

Default My First Blog

Brian Newton Memorial Cup Blog

The Brian Newton Memorial Cup was the brainchild of myself and was setup in his memory with the blessing of his partner. Brian was a well-respected client of Momentum Skills and the Angling Group. Brian became ill in early 2014 and after a short battle sadly passed away at the end of 2014. We have set up the event in order to pay tribute to Brian and his wonderful character as well as hold this event in honour of his love for Angling. The event now in its third year was again held at Leazes Park in the centre of Newcastle upon Tyne in the shadows of both the Royal Victoria Infirmary and St James Park and ably assisted by the Leazes Park Angling Association who supplied the volunteers for the day. The reason for the volunteers was everyone that took part in the match had some sort of disability issue whether it be as a result of a stroke, neurological issue or other type of head injury. One of the groups that took part had their own volunteers who are all angling coaches. My helper for the day was Allen Robson from Leazes Park Angling Association. We arrived early to help get setup for the day, putting up the gazebo, banner on the jetty and setting up the tackle for the less able fishermen. All participants arrived by 10am ready for a 11am start.

The day started of sunny and quite warm with fish topping everywhere. I fished off peg no. 1 the flatter part of the bank due to mobility and balance issues (although pegs were not officially drawn for the match). This was a good peg and some decent weights have come from this peg in recent weeks. The groups were all situated together due to the issues mentioned in the first paragraph, and I was pegged between Ken Howell and Terry Holmes both Momentum Skills clients. I was using a top two plus four sections at 11m using 4 to 6 elastic with a 0.3g Drennan carp 2 float at a depth of 3 feet. I was sitting on a Preston Innovations OnBox and also using a Preston Innovations 2.5m Silver Micromesh keepnet (this was all borrowed equipment from my helper on the day. due to logistical issues of getting my own tackle to the venue from where I live). After plumbing up and finding a flat spot on the lake bed to fish, the all in was given at 11am. I started off cupping in a full pot of dampened micro pellets and a mix of four and six mm pellets, fishing a 4 or 6mm expander pellet over the top (with every put in I potted in a mix of the 4 or 6mm feed pellets in). I went straight in and caught a 10 oz skimmer within the first five minutes of fishing. This was followed by a flurry of roach (one to around half a pound) and perch for the remainder of the three-hour match. In the last hour the heavens decided to open, and the fishing went quiet for everyone, to try and get the fish back on the feed I potted in another large cup of feed pellets and lo and behold I hooked into another skimmer nowhere near the size of my first fish. This was to be mine and the last fish of the match. The all out was called at 2pm

The bankside runner I had estimated around 4.5lb in the net. As we started packing away volunteers from the angling association started going around weighing in the catches. First to weigh in was Angling 4 All. They had 12 participants but as they only had one keepnet between them they decided that the 4 best weights only would count towards the team trophy. They weighed in with a total cumulative average weight of 5¾ oz. Next to weigh in was Momentum Skills who including myself had 6 participants. We weighed in a cumulative average weight of 1.5¼ lb the biggest fish from this group was a 10 oz skimmer (Mark Boyd). Finally Fishing Finatics weighed in their 5 participants for a cumulative weight of 2 ½lb. The biggest fish from this group was also a skimmer at a weight of 2.5lb caught by Colin Greally. The winning weight overall was 4.5lb, this came from Mark Boyd of Momentum Skills

Regards

Preston_Mark
    Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

Premium Angler Site Life Member Rick b's Avatar

Nice one Mark
    River anglers Go with the flow.

Blog Entries

Nice one Mark, could be the first of many, good to see the support to those anglers who are less fortunate.

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Whale martin56's Avatar

Great read Mark, a refreshing change to see anglers just having a nice day out together & helping each other on the bank.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

talk angling moderator PHD in Angling paul k's Avatar

Well done mark! Thank god he had some preston gear for you to use,eh? 😎
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling lambrettasx200's Avatar

Mark, have sent you a PM listing four Preston Directors for you to contact
    John

Talk Angling User TA 750+ Club scunnyiron's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well done Mark, wish the heavens would open up around here

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling tunna's Avatar

nice story Mark well done pal, hope the sponsorship rolls in for ya mate good luck.
    PROLINE ANGLING PRODUCTS

Monster Fish Site Life Member Preston_Mark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian G View Post
    Nice one Mark, could be the first of many, good to see the support to those anglers who are less fortunate.
    I enjoyed writing this one so there will be more to come on individual sessions and any matches that I take part in
    Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

Talk Angling User Done a Ton Bob Fott's Avatar

Enjoyed the read Mark 👍🏼