Total Newbie Hello
register with talk angling fishing chat
    Club Member Small Fish

Default Total Newbie Hello

Hi
    Totally newbie to fishing so far been 6 times caught 3 small roach maybe.
    My main reason for posting is to ask questions about keeping fish you catch (i.e. if I buy a day pass at a fishery is it ok to take fish away with you to eat or is that not done) as I cant seem to see anything online regarding what is ok and what is not ok except that which is on the governments website.
    Thanks
    Malcav

Hey!

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules

Those are the main rules for fishing in the UK.

You Must have a rod and reel licence to fish, Unless you are under 13 year of age. Without it if caught there are huge fines and potentially prison.

Every area has a set of by-laws. These are Law in addition to the Government rules.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ishing-byelaws

On private lakes and pools (day tickets) the fish are owned as property. As such taking any fish from a private pool is class as theft, And will be treat as theft by the police. The only exemption to this is when the owner gives you permission to take fish in writing. Most private lakes will have a sign saying removal of the fish is forbidden in all instances. And taking a fish when this is the case can lead to fines and prison. Other anglers will take your cars number plate and report you if they see you taking fish.

At private lake the rules are the law, If it says you can't do something then doing it will lead to the owner removing you. Baits, Hooks, Nets, Pets, Litter can all have rules.

As a general rule.

Barbless hooks only.
    Bait in moderation.
    No keepnets.
    No litter.
    No pets.
    No gaffs or snares.
    Use an unhooking matt on larger fish.
    All fish to be netted.
    All fish to be returned to the water.

Some ponds and lakes will have an extensive list of rules, Others will just cover the basics listed above. Always Ask, Always read the signs.

River clubs may also have rules against taking fish as part of the membership rules. There is normally a list of rules that go with a day ticket in this instance. Again if it's forbidden on the day ticket rules the law will always rule in the favour of the club, and you will get prosecuted for theft.

There are very few fish in UK freshwaters you are allowed to take at an eating size. It's very restrictive, and policed to stop fish populations getting decimated. 20cm's - 7.5inches in most cases isn't a fish you could cook. The main exception is fishing for trout and salmon with the correct licence in the correct season.

My advice is don't take fish regardless of size. It's frowned upon, If you want to catch fish to eat go sea fishing. Pier fishing in the UK can be rewarding and get good table sized fish. Or even better go out on a boat and go cod fishing. You'll get good fish with the right boat and skipper.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling MT NET's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    Hey!

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules

Those are the main rules for fishing in the UK.

You Must have a rod and reel licence to fish, Unless you are under 13 year of age. Without it if caught there are huge fines and potentially prison.

Every area has a set of by-laws. These are Law in addition to the Government rules.

https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...ishing-byelaws

On private lakes and pools (day tickets) the fish are owned as property. As such taking any fish from a private pool is class as theft, And will be treat as theft by the police. The only exemption to this is when the owner gives you permission to take fish in writing. Most private lakes will have a sign saying removal of the fish is forbidden in all instances. And taking a fish when this is the case can lead to fines and prison. Other anglers will take your cars number plate and report you if they see you taking fish.

At private lake the rules are the law, If it says you can't do something then doing it will lead to the owner removing you. Baits, Hooks, Nets, Pets, Litter can all have rules.

As a general rule.

Barbless hooks only.
    Bait in moderation.
    No keepnets.
    No litter.
    No pets.
    No gaffs or snares.
    Use an unhooking matt on larger fish.
    All fish to be netted.
    All fish to be returned to the water.

Some ponds and lakes will have an extensive list of rules, Others will just cover the basics listed above. Always Ask, Always read the signs.

River clubs may also have rules against taking fish as part of the membership rules. There is normally a list of rules that go with a day ticket in this instance. Again if it's forbidden on the day ticket rules the law will always rule in the favour of the club, and you will get prosecuted for theft.

There are very few fish in UK freshwaters you are allowed to take at an eating size. It's very restrictive, and policed to stop fish populations getting decimated. 20cm's - 7.5inches in most cases isn't a fish you could cook. The main exception is fishing for trout and salmon with the correct licence in the correct season.

My advice is don't take fish regardless of size. It's frowned upon, If you want to catch fish to eat go sea fishing. Pier fishing in the UK can be rewarding and get good table sized fish. Or even better go out on a boat and go cod fishing. You'll get good fish with the right boat and skipper.
    Spot on,very informative and correct reply👍
    OFFICIAL CHAUFFER TO FAT LADS WHO CANT HOLD THERE DRINK

Club Member Small Fish

Thank you so much for the info. I have my licence and currently only use barbless hooks but being a bit of a survivalist I would like to try eating some of the things I catch and so wanted to know the rules and avoid fopas.
    Thanks

The rules are that way, because in the past UK fish stocks have been depleted to nothing.

Pollution has been a major factor. We don't have the bigger open waters of the continent, or the super wide rivers. And our towns and cities are often built on the rivers.

So anything that gets into the rivers stays in them, And by that I mean sewerage, chemicals, and industrial waste. It's taken the environment agency a long time to get the waters up to a level where the fish are returning. Salmon are often used as an indicator of how the waters are doing. It's only recently they have started to come back to English rivers, There was a point when you would of had to go to Scotland to have a chance at one. And even now they invest millions a year into attempting to get the populations going again. And they prosecute industries that fail to clean up, or dump waste into water systems. It still happens but the EA hopefully keep it in check. It's what your rod licence pays for

So the waters are getting better but I wouldn't want to eat the fish, In 1957 the Thames in London was declared biologically dead. It's getting better things live in it now even thrive, but there's a lot of sh*t in there that isn't going to be out for hundreds of years. You'll notice a lot of anglers are very clean, no litter, no oils or soaps in the water. It's been drilled into us that if we want to fish, we have to look after them, and that also means putting them back so they can breed.

By all means do the survival thing, but eat rabbits and woodcock they won't slowly poison you.

Premium Angler Site Life Member Rick b's Avatar

Or go to trout waters with a take limit
    River anglers Go with the flow.

Club Member Small Fish

That kinda why I was asking about fisheries because I assumed the water would be clean and thus the fish unlikely to make me ill
    I would like to try hunting duck (in season obviously) and rabbit however the misses is slightly resistant to me killing cute things.
    Thanks for the advice.

Rabbits arn't native. If you go to the rural areas they often have shoots for them. Air rifle or snare. If you can go have a word with a few local farmers and see if they do anything on their lands. Most don't mind the rabbits getting taken provided your not dropping litter and destroying crops. If you cook rabbit regardless of the dish type always add fat/oil. It's such a lean meat that without fat it can cause long term problems if you eat lots of it.

We used to take rabbits on foot as kids. You have to get the angle right on the warren to get one to bolt away from a hole, but if you get it right they can only run about 100m before they get into difficulties.

Pheasants are good eating. It's a dark meat, very tasty. Again quite easy to catch, look for the low branches where they roost, and sneak up on them at dusk. If your quiet you can just grab them by the feet. Failing that raisins with horse hair rammed through it will choke them. There's normally plenty of birds about, again have a word with the farmers as regular shoots will be happening for them.

If might also be worth asking about if any of the shotgun clubs need field beaters. It's a fun outdoors afternoon and you can normally have a bird or two at the end of the day, you'll have to dig out the shot as you eat it but the lead just flavours the meat.

Ponds and lakes tend to be cleaner than rivers, but the ownership of the fish is the problem there. As RickB said have a look and see if you have a local trout farm that allows you to take a quota. You normally pay more to fish or have to pay for the fish, but it's about as close as you can get to a safe catch and eat other than Salmon with the more expensive licence.

And winter pier/beach fishing. Summer is bad because the big cod migrate north to colder water, but winter shore cod can be huge. The sea all round the UK is generally very good sport, and there are lots of beaches where you can camp and cook in the dunes. It's certainly an experience camping in winter to beach fish. Cold, wet, almost painful but the fish can be really good.