Pole elastic to mono breaking strain.
register with talk angling fishing chat

Default Pole elastic to mono breaking strain.

Can someone point me in the right direction please.

I'm looking to work out the maximums for my pole. So I can balance it all out correctly. I went to an estate lake a few weeks ago and got taken for a ride by a fish that I had no control over, It was a good fish, but I was fishing with 15 elastic on 6lb main to 5lb hooklength. I couldn't even turn the fish or slow the initial run. It bottomed and snapped the hook length without breaking stride.

My pole is rated to 22 elastic. The top kits have the same 22 rating.

So I get some information from you guys about how heavy is too heavy for some common hollow elastic hook lengths.

9 hollow :
    11 hollow :
    13 hollow :
    15 hollow :
    18 hollow :
    22 hollow :

There is some information online about this but it all seems disjointed. One company says one thing another says another, but it's real world information I'm after, So what you use, and where you draw the line.

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Whale martin56's Avatar

I only have Margin poles & only use 2 elastics - 14-16 Red Middy Hollow & 18-22 Blue in same.

You may be just a bit overgunned there, but should have been ok.

How long have you been Pole fishing?? The reason I ask is that I've only been doing this 4 year or so, & as I've always fished rod & line for 40 yr+, it's a difficult transition to pole.

I still have a tendency to SOMETIMES use the pole like a Rod ie making the Pole do the work rather than letting the elastic do it for you leading to premature breaks. (Old habits die hard lol)

Maybe that's all it is mate?? I use up to 5 lb hooklength with the 14-16 elastic & up to 8 lb for the 18-22.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Quote Originally Posted by martin56 View Post
    I only have Margin poles & only use 2 elastics - 14-16 Red Middy Hollow & 18-22 Blue in same.

You may be just a bit overgunned there, but should have been ok.

How long have you been Pole fishing?? The reason I ask is that I've only been doing this 4 year or so, & as I've always fished rod & line for 40 yr+, it's a difficult transition to pole.

I still have a tendency to SOMETIMES use the pole like a Rod ie making the Pole do the work rather than letting the elastic do it for you leading to premature breaks. (Old habits die hard lol)

Maybe that's all it is mate?? I use up to 5 lb hooklength with the 14-16 elastic & up to 8 lb for the 18-22.

Not been using the pole long at all TBF, I got it for Christmas, and up to last year hadn't fished for many years, And even then the nearest I got to pole fishing was the whip. I have a feeling even on a rod with 8lb line I would have failed with that fish.

I think I was outmatched that one fish was a little monster, I've had up to 15lb in on the 15/6/5 rig, The fish that took it was well in excess of that. The run was like nothing I have ever seen, It was a solid single direction (out into the middle of the pond) I got my pole out to 13m, but the fish just didn't stop. I would say it was over 25lb well out of my skill level on the pole, and It wasn't been targeted, I was in 18inches of water with double corn fishing overdepth with a rising float rig targeting carp to hopefully about 10lb. I was wrong.

The question is more about me learning what my pole can do, and just how far I can push it. And what is safe.

8lb on the 18-22 is more than I would have though. I certainly thought that the rig I was using at 15/6/5 was pushing it, And when that fish took off my first thought was actually what is going to break first, Elastic, Pole, Hook length. I was relived when it was the hook length, but it got me thinking I need to ask a few questions and get this balanced!

Blog Entries

Have you considered that it may have been a foul hooked fish. one hooked in the rear is nigh on impossible to turn, if you have had fish to 15lb your set up is not bad. A 3 or 4lb fish foul hooked would run you but not break you a double figure fish could.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian G View Post
    Have you considered that it may have been a foul hooked fish. one hooked in the rear is nigh on impossible to turn, if you have had fish to 15lb your set up is not bad. A 3 or 4lb fish foul hooked would run you but not break you a double figure fish could.
    I saw the back of the fish as it took off, Bigger than anything I've caught by a fair margin. And the line was in the water to the mouth end, So whilst it could of been foul hooked it was defiantly on the face region of the fish. I think the elastic and line combination just wasn't right (but that's expected, I wasn't targeting big fish).

The lake has some big lumps in it, I was pulling crusians to 3 1/2lb most of the day and the bailiff was laughing at me for targeting them as most regard them as a nuisance!

It was on this pond.

http://www.fisheries.co.uk/lakeside/

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth TonyP's Avatar

A big estate lake fish is probably more than a match for any pole setup. In my margin pole I use 20 hollow and fish 0.20 hooklengths, if that doesn’t tame a fish then it wasn’t to be. I was at a fishery near me recently and was using my Airity, which only has 14 hollow in. Got done twice by margin fish and was thankful one took the whole rig because the dacron cut through the elastic and the other broke the hooklength, both times I was worried the topkit was getting smashed.

20 hollow and fish 0.20 hooklengths
    5 lb hooklength with the 14-16 elastic & up to 8 lb for the 18-22

Is that the pattern.

20/0.2/ 8lb ish reflo power at 0.21 is 8lb15.
    15/0.15/ 5lb ish reflo power at 0.15 is 5lb14.

Do these numbers look right to you guys.

9 hollow : 2lb 0.9
    11 hollow : 3-4lb 0.11
    13 hollow : 4-5lb 0.13
    15 hollow : 5-6lb 0.15
    18 hollow : 6-7lb 0.19
    22 hollow : 7-8lb 0.21

Because if that makes sense I'm an idiot for not spotting it sooner.

Makes me feel a bit better about that fish as well as I wasn't far off with my blind guess.

I'll get down to the shop and go grab some line when I get chance. I'm going to wait for the overcast weather due next week I think, Or perhaps wait for those storms due fri29th onwards. Fishing should be spot on after those.

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth jimbo61's Avatar

Spot on Jimbo61.

I might have to print and laminate that for the tackle box. I'm not above taking a cheat sheet.