reel line
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reel line

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth hawb81's Avatar

Default reel line

im looking for the best low diameter reel line for waggler fishing, im after a 6Lb breaking strain 0.18 or less thats not too difficult to sink, not after maver jurassic, any ideas ?

Trusted Member Registered member

Hi, I've been using Tubertini Gorilla Float for several years without issue, 5.6lb is 0.16, comes on 150m spools. Have had some big carp on the pellet wag and I find it wears quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ade1 View Post
    Hi, I've been using Tubertini Gorilla Float for several years without issue, 5.6lb is 0.16, comes on 150m spools. Have had some big carp on the pellet wag and I find it wears quite well.
    how good is it at sinking when you flick the tip

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Whale martin56's Avatar

Preston Reflo Power 5 Lb 14 oz - & only 0.15 diameter.

I've only used it for hook lengths, but it's good stuff for that!!
    Last edited by martin56; 31st May 2018 at 06:43 PM.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Stroft is fabulous for Still water Waggler & Heavy Pellet Waggler Di 18 it lasts ages as well
    i have been using it since the late 80s
    Maxima & Stroft cover 90% of all my Fishing
    Colin

Quote Originally Posted by BIG COL View Post
    Stroft is fabulous for Still water Waggler & Heavy Pellet Waggler Di 18 it lasts ages as well
    i have been using it since the late 80s
    Maxima & Stroft cover 90% of all my Fishing
    stroft is a bit expensive col and i would rather not use a hooklength line on a reel, i have maxima on my centrepins but not sure of how good it is for sinking and a little heavier than what i wanted at 6lb, my mate uses 3lb as hooklengths

Blog Entries

Maxima is ideal for sinking i know you mentioned 6lb Pellet Waggler regardless of size i have Never needed to fish with Maxima any heavier than 4lb & have used 3lbs most of the time
    For waggler fishing on Rivers 3 to 4lb covers everything .
    Stroft is not a hook length line , i have used it for Everything Pole rigs .float fishing, lead & feeder .It is really hard wearing .just like maxima it lasts or ages so works out cheap Di 18 is 7.8lbs
    Colin

Talk Angling User Site Life Member
    Blog Entries

I just wouldn't use low diameter lines on my reels, I prefer the stretch in line like Maxima.
    The stretching properties from Maxima is where the line gets it's strength from. Pre stretched lines are just too brittle for a reel in my opinion.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Premium Angler Site Life Member Rick b's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I just wouldn't use low diameter lines on my reels, I prefer the stretch in line like Maxima.
    The stretching properties from Maxima is where the line gets it's strength from. Pre stretched lines are just too brittle for a reel in my opinion.
    Very true,
    Maxima all the way for reel line for me, for any river and Stillwater fishing on the reel, if you want it to sink better just give the spool a good wash in washing up liquid and water before you go, then if you need it to float like when on the rivers just spray it up.
    Like many I have tried all sorts over the years and always back to maxima.
    What are you fishing for and how?
    River anglers Go with the flow.

Blog Entries

Have to agree with that .
    I would never use a low diameter line either until i had no choice it was at moorlands & i drew a peg that i had caught on Waggler before. When i looked for my reels i had left them @ Home.
    Only had a 1675 with 1.5 maxima on plus a spool of Di 18 Stroft i found it to be Brilliant when i begrudgingly had to use it
    I won the match with over 100lbs no problem ive used it now for over 20yrs in 16 n 18 Diameters
    I Have even used It on the Stick on Big Rivers i love it ,As long as the Rods you use are Not as Stiff as a Poker ,most match rod have a smooth forgiving action . You will have no probems with Breakages or Hook pulls.
    However you must Completely ignore old school Breaking Strains if you use 2.10 lbs Breaking Strain as a Main line on Rod & Reel you will have problems Galore it is around Di 10 .this is actually thinner than 12oz Force that was used for hook lengths by Midland match Anglers during the 80s 90s that was Di 11
    Old lines Bayer, Platil, Maxima where around .20 @ 3lbs .It is the Diameters you should be looking At not the weight
    learn to only think in Diameters above .18 for anything you put on a reel & Technically your main line @ .18 will be around 7 to 8lbs
    Instead of 2.5lbs Bayer
    Took me ages to get my head around it but once i did what a difference its made
    use Low Diameters to increase line strength ,not to make light lines thinner
    Colin