reel line - Page 2
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: reel line

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling lambrettasx200's Avatar

Strange this post has come up now but being an old school angler who swore by Maxima for 20 years plus I have now changed. Fished the Thames very successfully in the late 70/80/90s chucking to the far bank with 3lb Maxima maybe being conservative 70/ 80 yards to a 1.7 Bayer hooklength and bagging loads of chub Maxima was the best. But I changed my line every other week to ensure my line was top quality. However a couple of years ago I realised that lines had advanced dramatically and tried several. Daiwa, Shimano,Drennan etc but then settled on one Cralusso Feeder energy in 6lb at 0.18. I now use it on rivers, natural lakes and the odd commie I fish and it's different class imho. Also I use the 7.58 as a shock leader with Guru braid. I have no connection whatsoever with Cralluso but just giving my honest opinion
    John

Premium Angler Site Life Member Rick b's Avatar

How would it be on a rocky Severn or Wye tho John
    River anglers Go with the flow.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling lambrettasx200's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rick b View Post
    How would it be on a rocky Severn or Wye tho John
    Rick, don't know as never tried it on those venues but I would be confident to be honest.
    John

talk angling moderator PHD in Angling paul k's Avatar

If itís for pellet wag- you donít want a sinking line- youíd have all sorts of trouble with line bites.
    If itís for regular wag work- then sinking is fine.
    I still use daiwa sensor on my pellet wag reels- nice and cheap- bulk spools are about £8 and will last you forever if you store them in the shade. I use 6lb for pellet wag- which is 0.24 diameter.
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth hawb81's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BIG COL View Post
    Maxima is ideal for sinking i know you mentioned 6lb Pellet Waggler regardless of size i have Never needed to fish with Maxima any heavier than 4lb & have used 3lbs most of the time
    For waggler fishing on Rivers 3 to 4lb covers everything .
    Stroft is not a hook length line , i have used it for Everything Pole rigs .float fishing, lead & feeder .It is really hard wearing .just like maxima it lasts or ages so works out cheap Di 18 is 7.8lbs
    col it was Ade1 who mentioned pellet waggler, i have 3lb maxima on my 10ft maver elite waggler with a drennan fd30 reel that i use for maggot/caster shallow and i find that the line doesnt sink properly, there always seems to be a bit that doesnt like to get wet even after overcasting reeling in and snatching, i would use stroft if the spools were more than 100 meters

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I just wouldn't use low diameter lines on my reels, I prefer the stretch in line like Maxima.
    The stretching properties from Maxima is where the line gets it's strength from. Pre stretched lines are just too brittle for a reel in my opinion.
    jethro im after low diameter because i think it casts lighter floats a little bit further, i dont often fish for carp but i do hook a few thats why i want a higher strength with the low diameter

Talk Angling User Registered member

I agree with what's already been said: 3lb maxima for the waggler - soak it 24 hrs in soapy water if you want it to sink throughout the session.

Stroft also makes a good reel line, but because it's less stretchy, you'd need 5lb and a soft rod to get anywhere near the equivalent strength of 3lb maxima. At these strengths they are both about the same thickness but 5lb stroft still has less memory than 3lb maxima so casts better.

As an alternative for the waggler, you might want to take a DIP Chromium Pro, it's a good quality co-polymer line, very soft, sinks very well and casts beautifully - it's about the same thickness as Stroft. I used to order it especially from itlalia fishing, but I've just done a quick search and found it is available from GoOutdoors, and (assuming they have the right weight in stock) it's on offer!!

checked it on go outdoors but alas it had 1 review that was not very good

Talk Angling User Registered member

Yeh, that was from some sea angler - ignore it. It's a freshwater line.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Yeh, that was from some sea angler - ignore it. It's a freshwater line.
    going to try this line, ordered some off ebay