Paste Rigs
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paste Rigs

Monster Fish Site Life Member Preston_Mark's Avatar

Default Paste Rigs

Hi Guys

I am looking to make a couple of paste rigs before I go away next week. What sort of floats should I be using and length of line, please?

Regards

Preston_Mark
    Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth fordysufc's Avatar

You need a float with a long bristle, rig length is dependent on depth of venue.

Thanks fordy. Does it matter about thickness of bristle
    Mark

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth fordysufc's Avatar

I prefer a thick, hollow bristle. I think the hollow bristle accentuates lift bites due to it's slight buoyancy, with other baits the slight buoyancy of the large, hollow bristle is detrimental to bite indication, but paste bites are thunderous so a delicate presentation isn't as important.

Thanks again

I have just ordered 3 pbpaste floats along with the topkits and elastic I have ordered for my holiday next week
    Mark

Talk Angling User Bagging Machine martin56's Avatar

Hi Mark, as most on here know, I fish down the edge 90% with pole so I really don't need anything special float wise EVEN for paste.

I even use old, small porcupine quill floats. Because they're attached top & bottom with silicon rubbers (I actually use 3 rubbers - 1 in the middle so if the top one cuts through I can slide the middle one up & keep on fishing) they're pretty well trash proof what with no wire top eye to worry about pulling out.

I'd make some of these up for use down the edge (even old stick floats) & just keep the paste floats for fishing distance.

You only need to be around 3 mm showing in calm water & Lift bites will show just the same.

Also with the float rubbers, floats are easily changed without swapping rigs!!
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Thanks Martin
    Mark

Talk Angling User Angling Giant

Not quite sure how you have 3mm of bristle showing...a long bristle is needed because you cannot guarantee the same size and mass of the paste when you load the hook...a long bristle will afford you a bit of flexibility

Talk Angling User Bagging Machine martin56's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rjays View Post
    Not quite sure how you have 3mm of bristle showing...a long bristle is needed because you cannot guarantee the same size and mass of the paste when you load the hook...a long bristle will afford you a bit of flexibility
    Yes rjays, you're right up to a point, but as one plumbs up DEAD DEPTH for paste, then the float should show up about the same regardless of the size & mass.

3 mm was just a suggested figure from which a float can be easily seen in the margin. My rigs all carry shot, though some prefer un shotted for Paste. (The Jury's out on that one)

Also, I mix my paste stiffer than most (like Plasticine) so I can make my bait pretty much same size & mass (weight) every time.

All I was saying to Mark is that Paste down the edge doesn't need to be all that scientific (unless one wants it to be) so why not make use of tatty old floats!!
    Last edited by martin56; 1 Week Ago at 09:01 PM.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

talk angling moderator PHD in Angling paul k's Avatar

Another point,mark- don’t go trying to fish at 11m plus when you’re paste fishing- it’s asking for trouble- especially to start with.
    Most will fish it down the edge or no more than 5 or 6 metres in front.
    Use a paste pot and add a few pellets and/or hemp to keep them interested.
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?