Fishing dead reds
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Fishing dead reds

Hi guys I fish dead reds down the edge quite often just wondering what people do about there hook bait so you put in on the hook or band a bunch on a hair rig? Also do you fish it dead depth or over. Cheers in advance

talk angling moderator PHD in Angling paul k's Avatar

Iíd just straight hook a bunch mate- too fiddly to band them- and i find slightly overdepth is best.
    Although i tend to use corn or meat before maggot down the edge tbh.
    Team south- 2014 talk angling inter regional team champs
    Alwight tweacle?

Talk Angling User Bagging Machine billynobites's Avatar

Generally put them on the hook. slightly over depth but I have put a bunch in a bait band from time to time when using pellets down the edge and found it worked ok.

5-6 maggots on a 14 hook. Why just reds though? I much prefer to have a mixture of red and white or bronze. Often red isnít the best colour.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Surprised you havent Noticed Nathan ?
    Not many anglers these days actually think things out for themselves or try Variations of methods or Baits
    Sheep Maggots (Dead Reds )as i call them are the Best selling bait in a local Shop
    If they havent got any the bloke that works there said ,most of them will drive 15miles for a pint rather than have any other colour
    live or dead .
    Typical bait Sale in the Shop 1 bag of Pellet & 1/2 pint or 1 pint of Dead Reds
    Colin

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Whale martin56's Avatar

They also work well on the "BLOB" - just a couple of inch below the surface.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B] And Can't do with sycophants!!.

Talk Angling User Trusted Angler

I was asked many years ago by a very good angler "what colour maggots are you using" my reply was a pint of mixed.
    He then said that he only ever took 2 colours of maggots with him and that was usually red and white so that the fish only had 2 choices of colour to go at.
    This has stuck with me ever since and although i do not use maggot as regularly as i used to it works for me.
    The last twice i have been fishing i started on a waggler feeding casters and a few dead maggots in with them.
    One week they seemed to prefer red and last week they definitely preferred white.
    It's a lot less confusing when you only have 2 colours to choose from.

Yes not just reds work. I freeze any left over bait. At certain times of year I freeze more bronze, white etc if I am fishing the rivers as although I may feed mainly one colour I always have another half pint or pint of mixed so I have a variety of different coloured hookers to try every so often. All gets frozen and used when ever I go on a still water for carp/bream. During the winter when popped up bread was working anyone who used bunches of dead white maggots also caught more than those on dead reds on one of the local venues.

Talk Angling User Trusted Angler

I nearly always freeze left over bait as well mate including casters.
    It saves quite a bit of money overall.

Not wrong there mate. Had a good few days on frozen casters. only thing i dont freeze is worms, but very rare will I have any left over and if I do just store them.