Colour
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colour

Talk Angling User Senior Member

Default Colour

When choosing a feeder, ( Any type) do you think the colour of the feeder makes any difference
    Does it really matter if its shiny black, silver, or camouflaged and what about hooks does colour make a difference ?

Talk Angling User Bagging Machine martin56's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by line View Post
    When choosing a feeder, ( Any type) do you think the colour of the feeder makes any difference
    Does it really matter if its shiny black, silver, or camouflaged and what about hooks does colour make a difference ?
    Don't know 'bout feeders mate, but I firmly believe it makes perfect sense to use Red Hooks for Red Maggot & Red Corn (& Caster if hook is exposed - not buried inside)

Gilt - gold coloured hooks (with a Yellow Quickstop) for corn.

Matching the Hook colour, to a bait where possible will always pay IMO!!

Foot note re feeders - If they're "Having It" - doesn't make a blind bit of difference & could be Sky Blue Pink with Dots on - again IMO!! (Well maybe that's a bit of a stretch, but you get my drift)
    Last edited by martin56; 1 Week Ago at 01:14 AM.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B]

Talk Angling User Trusted Angler Bob Fott's Avatar

It all boils down to what gives you confidence.IMO. Trust your instincts,if Im fishing and theres something at the back of my mind questioning a particular method or part of the terminal tackle

ill run the changes,I remember walking away from the bank on many occasions saying to myself I should have done this or that and didn't,

It would put me in bad form for the rest of the day.

On a side note,I try match the feeder to the bottom up to 15ft,anything over that it becomes less of an issue,Taking into account water clarity of course.

again,what gives you confidence can only be a good thing.

Talk Angling User Site Life Member
    Blog Entries

I never bother about colours regarding feeders or hooks, groundbait colours and lines make a difference to me. Baring in mind my feeders are all green,I think.
    I suffer from colour blindness so not sure of what I use.
    If the fish really care how would I know. I'm convinced any maggot will do so long as I stick to one colour.
    I only use white maggot, simply because any left are turned to caster. Dark GB in winter rest of the year whatever I fancy.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Premium Angler Site Life Member Rick b's Avatar

I know you asked about colour, but my feelings are if you get the weight, type and feed right then your 80% rite in feeder choice.
    River anglers Go with the flow.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jethro
    I love your opinion mate.
    I don't care What colour Hooks or Line ,I use Stroft on Pole & for Hook lengths on Pole mainly Bronze hooks
    For Feeder Fishing Bream Fishing /Silvers I use Stroft & Bronze Hooks ,For Barbel /Chub on Rivers Maxima.
    Feeders I've used White ,Clear , Brown , Black ,Camo ,Green, I have even got Some Massive Feeders made from Drill BIT Containers that have
    A Twist Extension that is turned to make the tube up to 2" longer .Standard size it's 7 chucks to a pint ,Extended it is 5 chucks to a pint
    We used these on the middle Severn to get plenty of Bait in Quickly ,then changed over to Feeders we made out of plastic Film Canisters .
    the Big Feeders were Bright Blue & The colour makes No Difference @ all it's down to the Contents & How you use them
    As an experiment @ Moorlands a Few years ago I wrapped Fluro tape around some very Small Drennan Feeders all Colours Red Yellow Orange Pink & Green
    Also on Straight lead 2".to12" Hook Lengths it made No Difference @ all
    I Still believe Anglers must Enjoy making things Difficult
    Colin

Isn't there a video on you tube done by a few big carpers, and some science boffins where they go through what a fish can actually see in the water.

Colour in there test proved a key component, Some colours just don't transmit in water very well, Blue I think was one of the poor ones. Whites reds and oranges were the best. They also went into how carp have the ability to see into the UV spectrum.

And again I'm sure it's the same video they go into what a fish can see when it looks up out of the water, and how ineffective any attempt to disguise yourself truly is.

I think it's this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0QnoreYyoI

Talk Angling User Site Life Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BIG COL View Post
    Jethro
    I love your opinion mate.
    I don't care What colour Hooks or Line ,I use Stroft on Pole & for Hook lengths on Pole mainly Bronze hooks
    For Feeder Fishing Bream Fishing /Silvers I use Stroft & Bronze Hooks ,For Barbel /Chub on Rivers Maxima.
    Feeders I've used White ,Clear , Brown , Black ,Camo ,Green, I have even got Some Massive Feeders made from Drill BIT Containers that have
    A Twist Extension that is turned to make the tube up to 2" longer .Standard size it's 7 chucks to a pint ,Extended it is 5 chucks to a pint
    We used these on the middle Severn to get plenty of Bait in Quickly ,then changed over to Feeders we made out of plastic Film Canisters .
    the Big Feeders were Bright Blue & The colour makes No Difference @ all it's down to the Contents & How you use them
    As an experiment @ Moorlands a Few years ago I wrapped Fluro tape around some very Small Drennan Feeders all Colours Red Yellow Orange Pink & Green
    Also on Straight lead 2".to12" Hook Lengths it made No Difference @ all
    I Still believe Anglers must Enjoy making things Difficult

I use your posts Colin as a good gauge to how things in fishing are, especially how I try to fish.
    I know you'll say what you usually say regarding you don't know everything.
    The thing that allows me to hold you such esteem is, I'm sure there are quite a decent number of anglers with knowledge approaching yours.
    The defining difference for me is you are not afraid to share what you know, unlike some who keep their cards close to their chest. I'm not saying everyone should share, I am saying you give what you know freely. In my experience always top information.
    For a bloke like me who's fished fore nearly 60 years, the times I've thought I didn't know that after reading your posts makes me turn to a thread every time I spot your name.

Like it or not Colin I will always praise your knowledge, I'm sure there will be others who think exactly the same on this forum.
    Thanks Colin.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your kind words ,I really do appreciate your Comments.
    Every time I fish i try to learn something from it !!
    If I don't catch was there something that I could have or Should have done ??
    If I do catch was there something that I could have or Should have Done ?? To catch more ?
    Why did I catch , did I Think I had fished well ,was i happy with my Performance ?
    If the Answer to any of my questions was No ,then I would go back A.S.A.P ,to go through everything & make any adjustments
    At times i can't help think I am guilty of being over Critical .
    If anyone Asks my advice I will always try my utmost to help .
    But I will never give information about anything I am not certain of .I will try to pass it over to someone that can help
    Colin

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Whale

I can vouch for col to with his extensive knowledge. Just before Christmas I was looking for a centrepin for my dad and as I'm an out and out commercial matchmen everything looked Chinese. He gave me pages and pages of advice. Selected a few that he thought was suitable. Gave an in depth description of them all and even found the best price. He is a true gentleman. There's a few more on here that share there wealth of knowledge to which I'm sure has helped me in my fishing 👍🏻👍🏻