Feeder fishing line choice
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth TEAM RATTLER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Feeder fishing line choice

So if you were fishing for bream at 50m+ what mainline would you choose and what properties would you be looking for? I already have three braid rods set up but have seen a lot of different opinions on this subject lately. I've been comparing a couple of highly recommended lines on my workbench and over a metre they both have around 2" of stretch despite being quoted as low stretch. What is the benchmark?
    MATRIX HALIFAX

Monster Fish Site Life Member Preston_Mark's Avatar

Hi TR

Have you had a look at the Sinking Feeder Mono from Preston? I have never tried it yet but from the reviews, it seems pretty good
    Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les MisÚrables - Victor Hugo

Only line I use for the feeder is Maxima. I have never had any issues with it. But I suppose there may be better out now. I have also just got some Tubertini Feeder line and going to give that a go this year.
    Just got back into fishing so please be patient

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
    So if you were fishing for bream at 50m+ what mainline would you choose and what properties would you be looking for? I already have three braid rods set up but have seen a lot of different opinions on this subject lately. I've been comparing a couple of highly recommended lines on my workbench and over a metre they both have around 2" of stretch despite being quoted as low stretch. What is the benchmark?
    Hopefully Nick you may get a few answers from Anglers that have "hands on" Knowledge of this type of Fishing .
    It a thread that I will watch with interest !
    My initial response would be Braid with a leader of 20ft of 6/8lbs Maxima for anything over 50mtr.obviously if Braid is allowed.
    The reason for the Shock leader is 2 fold ,1st to give a little Stretch as the rod powers up to punch the Feeder or Lead through the Air ,2nd to Cushion the Final Lunges of the Fish while under the Rod tip to help to minimize Hook Pulls.
    Up to 50yds my Choice of Line has always been Maxima 4/5lbs with 8lbs Shock leader if the weight to be chucked is over 3ozs.
    How ever i am know interested as too what Anglers are Using on these Bream matches, Feeder only Silvers matches on waters such as Barston ,Chelmarsh, Southfield & Ferry Meadows, etc
    I would be very interested in How these Anglers fishing such Venues have modified the methods i am used to
    Also any information on the Best types or makes of Stillwater Distance feeder rods @ sensible prices Not Tournaments or Spheres as we both know with the abuse Rods take fishing this way Breakages are always likely to happen
    Hope you don't mind me adding Rods to your Thread Nick ,thought it may help in the bigger picture
    Maybe we could meet up some day @ Southfield for some Practice ?
    Regards Col
    Colin

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling lambrettasx200's Avatar

Nicky, the one I have settled on when not using braid is Cralluso feeder energy in 6lb (.18) and 7.9 (.20) 150m per spool it spools really well, nice and smooth and casts really well. Have been using it for two seasons now having always been a Maxima man and I am completely sold on it.
    John

Talk Angling User Senior Member

Jamie Harrison, would be the man to ask on all subjects regarding feeder fishing, and has recently covered Q and A on line recommendations, For those that don't already know, checkout You Tube and subscribe to his channel you can always contact him via E mail etc . Top England feeder man and all-round Gent

Talk Angling User Done a Ton Bob Fott's Avatar

At 50 meters Im currently using Rovex Viros nxt 10lb braid with 8lb maxima chameleon leader,Or without braid its maxima for me too, I have tried a good few lines but always seem to fall back on Maxima,However,
    i havent tried Lambrettasx200s Cralluso feeder energy yet,Im always up for trying new stuff so id definitely give it a go.Any line that can entice a regular maxima user to change is certainly worth considering imo.
    Every venue I fish for bream is liable to vary considerably depending on the conditions so upping or downsizing the line strength is a reality.I usually go as light as I can fish comfortably with though.
    Rod wise up to 50m Ive been using a carbon live middy feeder,its one of my cheaper feeder rods but has a nice feel to it, and has stood up to some punishment over the last 10 months ,anything over 50m its a fox carboflex.As Big Col says it will be interesting to see other opinions.

Blog Entries

The venue in question is indeed Southfield Reservoir where Jamie Harrison and Wayne bartholemew and half of the England Feeder team regularly fish. I'm lucky that it's quite local to me and I've been fishing it for nearly 30 years, and using braid for around 20 years. During that time I've used 14 different types of braid and various monos, fished loads of clubbies and knock-ups and been more than happy with my success rate. In a lot of the early club matches the result sheets used to make for dismal reading...with the winner usually having around the 10lb mark and half of that may have been pole caught fish as the feeder just 'wasn't working' on the day. Truth was most were just chucking it out and waiting. Southfield is open and windswept and is linked to the aire and Calder canal which runs alongside it. It is quite tightly pegged and with the canal used to run water through and with heavy summer boat traffic it is affected by undertow.
    Accurate casting is a must so I made my own weight forward cage feeders as it's only 4-5 feet deep. It meant I could fish reasonably accurately even with a cross wind and in my own peg!!!
    I then started fishing two different lines, a line at 30-35m on mono and one at 50m plus on braid. The short line rod was a daiwa Matchwinner-S amorphous coil 11'6". A fantastic rod with an almost parabolic action and rarely suffered hook pulls. The longer chuck was with a daiwa connoisseur-z 11/13 Stillwater combo which covered me between 50 and 70m as long as it's not windy.
    Fast forward to today and the place is matched up regularly with 60 anglers plus. Matches are even being held all year round. My current set up is 13ft browning spheres in 80gr and 100gr and 12ft 80gr all coupled with shimano aero 4000FA reels loaded with matrix submerge braid and daiwa tournament st 8lb shockleaders. I have an 11ft sphere that is set up with mono for other venues and have used it at 35m with no problems so I'm considering changing the 12ft back to mono as it won't be used beyond 50m.
    The lines I've been comparing are colmic NeXgen feeder 0.16mm and Maver/smart stone river 0.18mm. Wayne Bartholemew has got loads of the Southfield regulars onto the stone river and I'm using the colmic on the 11ft sphere.
    So sinking/neutrally buoyant and low diameter to aid casting and combat undertow are my main priorities.
    MATRIX HALIFAX

Blog Entries

harric666+ is a regular and has used most of the current top feeder rods and reels. Scunnyiron likes to give me a beating on there and lambrettasx200 is making inroads into give me a lesson in the near future!
    MATRIX HALIFAX

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling lambrettasx200's Avatar

Nicky, not sure about that however we will bring the Hymer oop North in May to meet you and Lance (Scunny Iron) and we will have a couple of nights having a laugh with the ladies and I will get to fish the famous Southfield Ressi. Really looking forward to it mate. Julie has always wanted to visit York so hopefully everything will work out well.
    John