Paste - Page 2
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paste

Talk Angling User Bagging Machine martin56's Avatar

A squirt of flavoured glug added to the mixing water never goes amiss - Sweetcorn, coconut or Robin Red. etc.

Then lace with some neat glug on top which, when it's mixed, takes some of the "Graininess" out,
    Last edited by martin56; 15th January 2018 at 12:03 AM.
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B]

Not really the right time of year to get the best out of paste,I have had some success over the past couple of years using it starting out with the ready to go type of mix 1 + 1 type of thing gives an idea how the texture should be,you can make it to suit your self and nothing wrong with that but how the top anglers use it is probably going to catch more fish.you can play about with making your own,I use a grinder to take pellets from solids to dust (so to speak)i find I get a more consistent mix that way when flavors are added one I had a lot of success with was a bottle of crab paste (Morrisons ) very cheap scrape it into a small basin pour boiling water over it till it dissolves into a soup put a squirt of liquid Krill in and then mix with water and ground pellets,found this was a economical way of making paste that caught me a lot of fish,there are endless recipes to play with,If margin fishing get as close to the margin as you can as fish swimming around your bait with often knock the line with their tail,

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mark
    As Warden has just said mate ,it's not Paste time yet .
    The weather needs to warm up considerably before giving it a go .
    I have gone through all the posts on the thread & while I am not Surprised !
    It is obvious that there are Different ideas as to how to mix it ,how to fish with it !
    Paste is so Simple to prepare correctly .
    There are some excellent Paste Anglers & there are Anglers that think they are Paste Anglers🙄
    Basically there are a couple of ways to Mix it .I & Many more will only ever use Fishmeal Pellets or on Venues that allow it Green Swim Stim (some don't allow it )
    Remember the Fish you are targetting on Commercials have been Fed a constant Diet of Fishmeal pellet every day of their life.
    Pellet I make in 1pt measures &place in a plastic bag with the air squeezed out, I take it to the pool in bags any i don't use is put back in bag & Fridged
    I mix my paste as Soft as possible ,when I lift my Rig I want it to come off the Hook exactly where I am fishing .
    Experiment before you go & try it ,get your Paste as soft as you can without if Falling off , although i always drop mine into a Frenzee Soft pot & tip the Paste & a few 4mm pellets in .
    All of my floats have long Bristle's the shot that is bulked about 1/3rd of the way up from the hook should cock the float to the top of the body leaving all the Bristle out of the water.
    Plumb the depth exactly Dead Depth ,after you are happy Mark the depth on tour pole with tippex. Then Shallow you float by almost the length of the bristle .
    I shallow mine so that when i put the Paste on the Hook the float is literally 1/8" out of the water ,only have a short line between pole & Float always keep fairly tight to your float ,Bites can be the finest little movements on the float or they can pull you in. A classic Paste bite is the Float lifting up exposing the Bristle hence
    the reason for using the paste to set the float. Don't worry if you need the float to stand out more just add 1/2" to your depth it will show on the Bristle.
    If your paste is too Stiff you will only have a Fraction of Bites ,No Additives needed ,They only Mask the Natural smell & Flavour of the fish meal .Methods such as the Conker are Carp Hunter methods encasing a bait within a ball of Boilie mix fishing for single fish
    Colin

Monster Fish Angling Giant Preston_Mark's Avatar

Thanks COL

I am thinking about when we go back to out local coarse venue and also when I go away again in May
    Mark

"At the end of the day it's another day over" Les Misérables - Victor Hugo

Everything Col has said is spot on, though I BUY ready made rigs so struggle to find a rig with a long bristle that's made for the job. (Paste fishing)

I get by OK with a standard length bristle, but "Dot It Down" as much as possible with the weight of the Paste like Colin has said.

Maybe I should find a shop which sells a bigger selection of rigs then!! I fish down the edge most of the time so maybe not such a big deal as against fishing at Distance??

And yes - I still have a lot to learn!!
    Last edited by martin56; 16th January 2018 at 12:27 AM.

Colin, I've heard that if you're "Foul Hooking" a lot of fish - Fishing the Paste a few inches "Overdepth" can alleviate this?? (just add shot to compensate so the float dots down to same??)

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth TEAM RATTLER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Surely if you're foulhooking a lot of fish then you've got too many fish in your swim so you've initially fed it wrong?
    Cyber bully apparently....

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
    Surely if you're foulhooking a lot of fish then you've got too many fish in your swim so you've initially fed it wrong?
    Maybe should ask them to form an "Orderly Queue"

Yes TR, you're probly right - I often feed erratically when I get bored.
    Last edited by martin56; 16th January 2018 at 01:11 AM.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Martin if you are Foul hooking the reason is usually that the fish are picking off Pellet falling through the water .
    Easiest way to put a stop to it is do not feed loose offerings ,
    I cup my Paste Hook bail in with about 6 to 10 pellets.
    I place my cup on the water & Roll the paste out smoothly I lift the pole up directly above the float & Slowly lower the rig into my peg .
    The float will lift up in the water if the paste comes off or you have a bite
    Once you have your 1st bite do not feed any more pellets @ all Just the Paste on the hook this will be plenty !!
    Don't be tempted to lay any line on the bottom
    If you are having lots of liners or Foul hookers down the Edge ,then you will more than likely find that the cause is that the fish are swimming around between
    The Bank & your line the answer is simple drag the float as close to the bank as possible so your line is laying flat against the Shelf
    No more Liners No more foul hookers
    When Fishing the paste never be tempted to loose feed @ all.
    Good Luck
    Colin

Thanks for that Colin, so just let the paste that comes off "Build the Swim".

Great tip mate, I'll give it a go when I start again in April (Yep' - I'm a bit of a fair weather man lol)