Thread: bread again

Talk Angling User Bagging Machine

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
    Some do
    Thank you
    Bike racing, match angling pensioner.

cheers col i have my moments

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth hawb81's Avatar

i read the derek skinner version a long time ago, yes its the way to go but I asked what individual anglers did if they tweaked their bread and how did they prepare it.
    if I use liquidised I just grab 4 slices crusts and all and liquidise it, I sometimes put a couple of rich tea biscuits in with it or add some liquid aniseed after strawberry is another favourite of mine, it does work, what isn't used is thrown in the water at the end, I feed by using the preston quick cone to squeeze the bread to a ball, I have all 3 sizes but usually use the blue and sometimes follow on by just pinching a bit at a time as well, I usually feed every put in and I have caught all day like this.
    when it gets colder I cut the crusts off the bread and leave it out for 3 days to start going stale then I have a combi oven and put it in there on 40 degrees for an hour and half then leave it another day then wiz it in a food processor not a blender as the processor does it better until its a punch crumb then when I use it I just keep adding water until I get it how I think its just right to feed and cloud, its very rare I add anything to this but occasionally I might put a little liquid aniseed in.
    the bread for the hook I either use it straight out of the bag and punch or flake it or sometimes I will microwave it with the crusts off then roll it flat and sometimes I will put it between 2 pieces of damp muslin between 2 chopping boards with the biggest saucepan I have filled with water on top to press it overnight then cut it into squares triangles and other odd shapes.
    I usually start with a size 18 b911 f1 hook with a 6mm piece of punch then see how things go from that, I can change to a 24 hook with a 2 or 3 mm punch or go to a 12 hook with flake on all depends what and how they respond on the day. if I can use micro barb I use either a kamasan b511, b520 or b560 hook
    I get my liquid aniseed from TFM about 35 for 5 litres, compared for what we pay for 250ml for liquid additives in the tackle shops its less than half the price.
    this is just how I now do it

I said Iwould keep quiet on this subject but--I have a problem myself --
    I have been using Hovis soft white thick bread for the hook for a number of years-- I usually get a fresh loaf the day before i need it and take every slice out of the packet and check for the best ones for the job, but recently I have found that it has gone off badly, its full of holes and has a lot of spongy lumps in it--and not soft and doughy like it used to be, I even e-mailed Hovis about it --and they said nothing has changed--which is rubbish-they must think we are stupid ( like the supermarket workers who try and tell me that you can only get 4 days on the sell by date when I know for a fact that a fresh loaf has 6 days on--but thats another subject)- but I did get a letter of apology and a voucher for 2 which isnt much use if the bread is crap.-I have tried Co-op`s own toastie which is ok if you get it with 6 days on it and use it straight away but does go hard pretty quickly.
    Has anyone else found that the hovis has gone off? and if so what do you use instead--it is driving me mad --its bad enough getting old and slow without the problem of trying to fish with crap bread.

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth jimbo61's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by daskin View Post
    I said Iwould keep quiet on this subject but--I have a problem myself --
    I have been using Hovis soft white thick bread for the hook for a number of years-- I usually get a fresh loaf the day before i need it and take every slice out of the packet and check for the best ones for the job, but recently I have found that it has gone off badly, its full of holes and has a lot of spongy lumps in it--and not soft and doughy like it used to be, I even e-mailed Hovis about it --and they said nothing has changed--which is rubbish-they must think we are stupid ( like the supermarket workers who try and tell me that you can only get 4 days on the sell by date when I know for a fact that a fresh loaf has 6 days on--but thats another subject)- but I did get a letter of apology and a voucher for 2 which isnt much use if the bread is crap.-I have tried Co-op`s own toastie which is ok if you get it with 6 days on it and use it straight away but does go hard pretty quickly.
    Has anyone else found that the hovis has gone off? and if so what do you use instead--it is driving me mad --its bad enough getting old and slow without the problem of trying to fish with crap bread.
    a lot of anglers use warburton toastie

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo61 View Post
    a lot of anglers use warburton toastie
    I have tried that when I couldnt get Hovis--but didnt like it--thanks anway

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth TEAM RATTLER's Avatar

Not fished bread for a month but it seemed ok then. May give it another go this week sometime. When I tried warbies toastie it seemed to melt off the hook.
    Cyber bully apparently....

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
    Not fished bread for a month but it seemed ok then. May give it another go this week sometime. When I tried warbies toastie it seemed to melt off the hook.
    Exactly what i found with all Warburtons,, the Hovis has got worse by the week.

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth hawb81's Avatar

at the moment I'm using Roberts, I find that bread isn't consistent by any manufacturer, don't know if its temperature or humidity but if I'm having trouble I just use the mega thick