Giant Hemp - Page 3
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Giant Hemp

Premium Angler Site Life Member Rick b's Avatar

Normal hemp from John Sturmans in Blackheath, luvleh
    River anglers Go with the flow.

Barbel Man TA 750+ Club Johnny Care's Avatar

I wouldn't buy it online, I go to the local seed merchant, there's one by me in West Brom, and also as Rick says, Sturmans in Blackheath. I don't use bicarb either, but mine is cooked for barbel, not roach. Easiest was to cook it is in a slow cooker.
    Real men fish rivers

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth TEAM RATTLER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I used to cook my barbel hemp in a burco tea urn. Could do a bucketload at a time then mix with aquarium gravel and freeze in foil take-away cartons. On the bank we'd cut these bricks in half then "ball it in" just like groundbaiting.
    Cyber bully apparently....

Blog Entries

You can cook hemp simply by using a polystyrene box similar to this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Polystyre...QAAOSwiHpaLQfh. Just 3/4 fill with hemp cover with boiling water, lid on and hemp will be perfectly cooked in 40 minutes. Its just an extension of cooking it in a flask. Pity the NHS stopped sending out my grandsons insulin in them as I used to be able to post one out for around £2:50

Blog Entries

Just mentioned those to the wife as she works at the hospital..."I told you about those ages ago and you said they were no good!!"
    Best pay more attention in future I think...

Blog Entries

Nick they are spot on for cooking best part of 8 pints of hemp. However do not attempt to use them to store bait in as mice soon burrow their way through the styrene.

Blog Entries

Does this mean I'm going to have to tell the wife she was right?

Talk Angling User Bagging Machine martin56's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
    Does this mean I'm going to have to tell the wife she was right?

"You Know it makes Sense Rodney!!"
    [B]Fishin' Best Fun Ya' Can 'ave wi' Ya' Clothes On!![/B]

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hi Friends 😉
    After reading Nick & Rick's Views on Feeding Hemp , I was a little bit surprised by both of your outlooks !.
    I am not saying you are wrong, as you are both very good Anglers & we all have our own ways of Doing things & Confidence in our actions .
    If I may ,I would like to 1st of all Explain the Way I Approach feeding Hemp on Running water for Roach. Unlike Nick I do not like uniformity
    In the Sizes of Hemp for Feed I prefer the Hemp to consist of Different sizes ,with the Bulk of it as Large as I can get it .Too this I mix a pint
    Of smaller mixed Hemp so when I feed always slightly Downstream .the Hemp, falls through the water @ varying speeds, consequently drawing fish from further down the peg
    As far as liners & Lightning fast bites I just cut right back on the Loose feed until the Fish settle & become easier to hook again then I continue in this manner until Bites start to tail off & then I will resume feeding again. I will do this as many times as I need.
    Feeder wise for Barbel i always use the Largest Hemp i can find & over the last 40yrs anyone that knows me will confirm it. & also that i have been known to feed so much that its a wonder the River hasn't started to Rise . Personally i Don't Believe that Barbel over feed on Hemp. The more i think about it convinces me that the reason
    They sit off the main bed of feed is that they become pre- occupied with whatever other Bait is Fed along with the Hemp .when Feeding Hemp in a Feeder i Cannot understand why a lot of Anglers that i have observed on the Rivers are using hook lengths as long as 3 to 4ft long ?? j i agree that your Hook baits are lighter than your Hemp & May Roll through the peg to an extent ,but to me that is a lot too long .it also Amazes me just how many Catapult bait over the top it seems wrong to me & only succeeds in making things Difficult
    I Don't load my Feeder the same way as many other Anglers & also Never add Maggots to it when Fishing Hemp & Caster
    if i Fish Maggot Feeder all the rules Change & I feed only Maggot .But i will have decided when drawing my peg if possible 😉
    That would be my main attack & i would not be Swopping & Changing
    I have been lucky enough to Fish with Some of the Best Feeder Anglers on the Planet over the years Sharing information Both ways & feel
    That i have been very Privileged to have not only learned from these guys but also added to their armoury
    Some sadly no Longer with us ,some still Fishing, some Moved away but Thank you to Every Single 1 of you
    Fred Bailey, Graham Wade, Peter Boden ,Peter Clee ,Mal Storey, Mick Underhill .Norman Soaper Paul Clee too many, more to mention. from the Glory Days
    Of the Severn 76 to mid 90s .The lads from Cradley Heath Labour ,what a team of Feeder Anglers
    Not Forgetting my Late Very Dear Friend, IMHO he was 1 of the Greatest Thinking Feeder Anglers of all Time JOHN COATES sadly taken from us in his Prime
    So young , To all on the Severn look for the Big Geezer Looks like he has stepped out of a Museum Fishing like in the Old days,
    Stop & Say Hello .i am going to be There quite a bit this year 😏😏Please be Gentle
    Col
    Last edited by BIG COL; 3 Weeks Ago at 05:57 PM.
    Colin

Talk Angling User TA 750+ Club scunnyiron's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No expert Nicky just had a better peg, big believer that its better to use freshly cooked hemp though that hasn't been frozen. I think it looses a bit of its attraction in the freezing process certainly feel more confident with fresh stuff. We have a local stockist Simpsons that sells ordinary and giant the quality varies a lot though and its pot luck with what you get