Hollow. - Page 2
register with talk angling fishing chat
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hollow.

Talk Angling User Talk Angling Behemoth TEAM RATTLER's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    The Preston no9 I have in my little margin pole sometimes sticks, But it's not because of dirt of lack of lubrication. It's because it flattens and sticks to itself when put under load. A well fitted PTFE bush with this flattening action mean it has a little difficulty getting back in. It can take up to 30 seconds for the elastic to fully retract but it always goes back in perfectly.

As for the Dacron, I've not bothered. A crows foot and bead has been more than capable of landing 8+Lbs on the No9.
    I've had drennan green and yellow, dick clegg pink, and white hydro do exactly the same. I later found the hydro was empty. Not 100% sure on the reasoning behind the flattening but maybe if the elastic is worn or it has a nick or pinhole then the hollow core loses its ability to hold the air/fluid pressure that promotes the return to its original shape. The elastics natural memory will eventually kick in and it'll return to shape a lot slower as it has to suck air back in through the leak.
    I would say that any bush that interferes with elastic exiting or retracting needs looking at.
    I can remember when hydro first came on the scene....the flattening action was touted as an asset when playing fish as it allegedly created more friction over the edge of the bush as it flattened and spread out. It also allegedly locked out the higher you lifted your pole tip so you could pump fish in and land them quicker lol. That was when there was just black and white hydro and we were told they were the only elastics we'd ever need!
    Cyber bully apparently....

Talk Angling User Registered member

Prestons is just air filled, and isn't sealed. So I suspect the air just gets moved by the bush and compresses. If you take a short section and run it through your fingernails it flattens in the same way, and still takes a while to return to shape even with both ends untied.

You could expand the bush slightly, It would improve the return rate, but it would also increase the chance of getting water and dirt into the bush. And that could cause more problems than just a slow returning elastic.

If it really was a problem then using a fractional drill bit set to enlarge the hole in the bush and work up in 0.1mm steps till you have it perfect would be a good solution. A 0.1 set 1mm-6mm normally cost about £20. And would be a better solution than trying to file it, or make do with a bush that is well oversized.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineers-F.../dp/B00K2UV4FI

Or you could attempt to lubricate the inside of the elastic with a needle bottle and some light silicone oil. If I were to do this I would force the needle onto one end then leave the elastic dangling in a large U shape for a few hours. Provided you hold the open end up at the same level as the needle bottle it should fully fill.
    Last edited by Iceni; 1 Week Ago at 04:25 AM.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum PHD in Angling SPADGER's Avatar

Just fit a wider bush...
    Cut The tip back a few inches, I have never had elastic stick in my pole since i read an article by Steve Gardner regarding bushes.
    He fits a wide bore bush on all his top kits, even for light solids.
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.

Talk Angling User Bagging Machine

Quote Originally Posted by SPADGER View Post
    Just fit a wider bush...
    Cut The tip back a few inches, I have never had elastic stick in my pole since i read an article by Steve Gardner regarding bushes.
    He fits a wide bore bush on all his top kits, even for light solids.
    Agree wither Spadger, youíll never stop water and dirt from getting in your topkits!
    My theory is , if youíve got a bigger bush, the dirt or grit has a better chance of coming out !!

Quote Originally Posted by Iceni View Post
    Prestons is just air filled, and isn't sealed. So I suspect the air just gets moved by the bush and compresses. If you take a short section and run it through your fingernails it flattens in the same way, and still takes a while to return to shape even with both ends untied.

You could expand the bush slightly, It would improve the return rate, but it would also increase the chance of getting water and dirt into the bush. And that could cause more problems than just a slow returning elastic.

If it really was a problem then using a fractional drill bit set to enlarge the hole in the bush and work up in 0.1mm steps till you have it perfect would be a good solution. A 0.1 set 1mm-6mm normally cost about £20. And would be a better solution than trying to file it, or make do with a bush that is well oversized.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineers-F.../dp/B00K2UV4FI

Or you could attempt to lubricate the inside of the elastic with a needle bottle and some light silicone oil. If I were to do this I would force the needle onto one end then leave the elastic dangling in a large U shape for a few hours. Provided you hold the open end up at the same level as the needle bottle it should fully fill.
    As far as I'm aware hydro was the only elastic that was fluid-filled. Which means all other hollows are air filled. Whatever connector you use and however you attach it to the bung the elastic then becomes sealed.
    I've already done the internal lubricant thing and it had no noticeable effect. Just change the bush as spadger says. It seems an awful lot of messing about and expense when there's no need.

Talk Angling User Site Life Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TEAM RATTLER View Post
    Jethro are you actually tying the elastic to the Dacron loop?
    I knot the elastic then put the Dacron to the knotted elastic, in a similar fashion to how you fasten elastic bands together.
    I had a quick look at trying to undo the Dacron and settled far too quickly to cut the elastic.
    By the way I reckon all the sludge type rubbish that was in my top kits was I think carbon dust that was left in by the tackle shop, it was very black.
    Last edited by jethro; 1 Week Ago at 12:04 PM.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

That's exactly how I do it. If you can get hold of the knot tag and the elastic at the other side of the Dacron and pull, the elastic stretches and gets thinner and the Dacron momentarily releases its grip slightly. You should then be able to tease it loose.

Talk Angling User Site Life Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks I'll try that, sounds obvious. I'm not surprised as I'm normally slow on the uptake as you can probably tell.
    I have an incidental on my left shoulder, he's always there, he's my friend.
    He says he gives me good advice. does he ?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum PHD in Angling SPADGER's Avatar

You really are overthinking this lads.
    Fit a wider bush, don't go chucking loads of lube down your top kits and to make Lacey last longer at the connector just sleeve it. Look on YouTube for Des Ship on elastics and there is a dead simple video on how to sleeve elastics.

Most lubes are silicone based and you will get a build up of this in your tops, silicone is sticky when it builds inside the walls of top kits and this will cause no end of problems, look on the Vespe website for how to use lube properly.
    On the gathering storm comes a tall handsome man, in a dusty black coat and red right hand.