Spod rod and reel advice
    Talk Angling User Registered member

Default Spod rod and reel advice

Hi all,

I currently use 2 Nash h- gun dwarf 9 ft rods for my fishing, and I am thinking about buying the same rod , but with a 4.5 lb tc to use as a spod rod, the reel I have been looking at is the wychwood despatch 7500
    Would this be a balanced set up with said rod, or does anyone have any other ideas regarding this combo.

Thanks
    Tony.

Talk Angling User PHD in Angling BIG COL's Avatar
    Blog Entries

PM Peter ,Hurricane
    He will be able to put you right
    Personally I cannot understand how a 9ft Broom Handle will work as a Spod rod ??
    Colin

Thanks col

Will do.

Administrator PHD in Angling hurricane's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Macca65 View Post
    Hi all,

I currently use 2 Nash h- gun dwarf 9 ft rods for my fishing, and I am thinking about buying the same rod , but with a 4.5 lb tc to use as a spod rod, the reel I have been looking at is the wychwood despatch 7500
    Would this be a balanced set up with said rod, or does anyone have any other ideas regarding this combo.

Thanks
    Tony.
    Hi Tony, I have not used any of the products you mention,but my fishing buddy maggotdrowner has used 10ft dwarfs.
    The way I see it with spod rods and/or marker rods,apart from having enough backbone to launch a loaded spod,they need to be capable of casting to the same distance as your "normal" rods.
    If the 9ft dwarf will cast to the same distance then it will be a good match,personally I would be inclined to go for a longer rod for spodding.
    As for the reel,I am a firm believer that cheaper reels will often do as good a job as the more expensive models(I am still catching on ten year old okumas on my pike rods) but spodding is an exception,by the mere nature of what they are expected to do means they MUST be robust,have had a read of the reviews on the reel you mention,as I don't do large amounts of spodding,I would certainly give one a try.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    Regards Peter.
    Pleasure/specimen social group. http://www.talkangling.co.uk/upload/...n_anglers.html click here to join. browse or view picture gallery

That's great advice,thank you peter

Regards
    Tony.